Creating Atmosphere in Projects

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
iamshawn

Post by iamshawn »

I wondered about including royalty-free sound/music in book recordings, plays, or dramatic readings. Is this done quite often by users? Is it something you would advise me against doing? This is purely if I'm doing a solo project, or I am the BC for a project.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

In recordings published as part of a LibriVox project: no, we do not add music.
Sometimes a play will come with a musical score, and one of our volunteers will record a performance of it. Sometimes a character in a book breaks out into song, and the reader sings the words a capella (usually to a tune they made up themselves). But if it's not specified by the author like that, we don't add it in.

On the other hand: after your LibriVox project is complete, the recording is in the public domain. Anyone can make a copy, alter and share it however they wish - even you. Your music-added version will not be part of our catalog, but you can republish it however else you like.

You can read our full policy here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

... and so you can add all the sounds and sound effects you like to the recording, and put the "clean" one onto the LibriVox site (from where it will be stored on archive.org as a LibriVox file), and the "enhanced" one separately on archive.org for yourself.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Royalty-free and public domain are not the same thing. Royalty-free is still copyrighted. Inserting it into a public domain recording does not make it so.
LV volunteers can verify that the source text is public domain, but this would be impossible with music or FX.
Generally speaking, listeners do not like these additions to audiobooks. They tend to be distracting and annoying, rather than as enhancements. Commercial audiobooks like Audible generally don't allow it.
It's a huge amount of extra work.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Of course, I should have said that any sounds added to your recording for non-LibriVox distrbution should be in the public domain. But for me, if I were ever to record The Wind in the Willows here, I would put a copy on archive.org with occasional water and rain sounds, traffic, court room gavel, and faint extemporary flute music for The Piper at the gates of dawn chapter.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger