[COMPLETE] The Uninhabited House by Mrs. J. H. Riddell - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There is some setting in Audacity that "snaps" to larger time segments. I'm on a computer with an older version, so I can't look it up right now. But look in the preferences and see if you can find anything in there.

I have used a newer version (not 3.3.3 though) and found the option to do very small segments in there - or to turn off the "snap to" option. I don't know what it's called though. But it IS possible! It would be unusable if you couldn't - which you're finding out!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I was curious, so I looked for it.

On the bottom of the window may be "Snap". Make sure it's UNchecked. If it's not there, go to View / Toolbars / Snapping Toolbar to make it show, then uncheck it. Then you can hide it again by going to View / Toolbars / Snapping Toolbar again.

Regarding editing MP3's - you should be able to import MP3s into Audacity and edit just like an Audacity file. The only downside of this is that MP3s are "lossy", meaning they lose a little quality every time they are re-exported to MP3, like photocopying a photocopy, then copying that most recent copy, over and over. But one iteration of that with an MP3 isn't a big deal.

Regarding editing in general: once you get the Snap thing figured out, then editing in missed stuff or substituting wrong stuff should work out better. Here's a video using an older version of Audacity, but it's mostly the same regardless of version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

I'm sorry for all the confusion. I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM! I had "Snap" checked in the lower left hand corner. Now that I unchecked it, I am able to delete smaller portions of audio. I think I should be good to go now.

Best,
Lara
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

:D
TriciaG wrote: January 14th, 2024, 2:31 pm OK, I was curious, so I looked for it.

On the bottom of the window may be "Snap". Make sure it's UNchecked. If it's not there, go to View / Toolbars / Snapping Toolbar to make it show, then uncheck it. Then you can hide it again by going to View / Toolbars / Snapping Toolbar again.

Regarding editing MP3's - you should be able to import MP3s into Audacity and edit just like an Audacity file. The only downside of this is that MP3s are "lossy", meaning they lose a little quality every time they are re-exported to MP3, like photocopying a photocopy, then copying that most recent copy, over and over. But one iteration of that with an MP3 isn't a big deal.

Regarding editing in general: once you get the Snap thing figured out, then editing in missed stuff or substituting wrong stuff should work out better. Here's a video using an older version of Audacity, but it's mostly the same regardless of version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: January 14th, 2024, 3:14 pm I'm sorry for all the confusion. I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM! I had "Snap" checked in the lower left hand corner. Now that I unchecked it, I am able to delete smaller portions of audio. I think I should be good to go now.

Best,
Lara
Great!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
sweetnecromancy84

TriciaG wrote: January 14th, 2024, 2:31 pm OK, I was curious, so I looked for it.

Yes, I figured this out. I would never have thought to do so though. I do remember randomly checking the box yesterday, I guess to see what would happen. Bad idea.

THANK YOU for your help! I am almost done editing the new version. It is a breeze now.
Best,
Lara
sweetnecromancy84

Okay, here goes nothing. I hope this one is ok. If not, I can (probably) fix it, as I saved it this time.

Tried to cut out some "heavy" breathing. Hope I didn't cut out too much.
I guess it sounds a bit fast to me, but please let me know what you think.

Chapter 14:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_14_riddell_128kb.mp3
Duration: 22:155?

I am not sure I added enough time at the end. My understanding of what seconds were got a little botched along the way.
I tried to record some silence at the end, but wasn't sure how to merge #1 to #2, so there may be a blip.

Best,
Lara

P.S. I'm sorry for taking up so much chat space with my "Audacious" confusion, and I really appreciated everyone's help.
P.P.S. I'm also sorry I was unable to muster "true" voices for the several characters. My original dream was to do this, but it was harder than I thought. I do think it would have come across more clearly that way. I still hope to get better at voices, the more recordings I do. That is, if you keep me on.
Last edited by sweetnecromancy84 on January 14th, 2024, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: January 14th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Best,
Lara

Thanks Lara! I've marked it ready for PL.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Lara, You did it! Great job. This was very enjoyable listening. Section 14 is PL ok. Don't worry, as I know from experience, I get better and better with every recording.
Best,
Christine
sweetnecromancy84

brownrottger wrote: January 15th, 2024, 6:13 am Hi Lara, You did it! Great job. This was very enjoyable listening. Section 14 is PL ok. Don't worry, as I know from experience, I get better and better with every recording.
Best,
Christine
Thank you, Christine! I'm so glad, and I really appreciate your positive feedback.
sweetnecromancy84

BrianFullen wrote: January 14th, 2024, 6:53 pm

Best,
Lara

Thank you, Brian!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:47 am
BrianFullen wrote: January 14th, 2024, 6:53 pm

Best,
Lara

Thank you, Brian!
Really, thank you, Lara. I had an "unofficial" though "allowable" listen. I enjoyed it very much.
LGreene

Post by LGreene »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

LGreene wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm Chapter 6 is ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_06_riddell_128kb.mp3

16:09

Thanks!
Lisa
Thank you Lisa!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Chapter 6 Excellent reading! Just one adjustment needs to be made. Please raise the volume on the whole recording by 3 to meet the Librivox specifications.