[GROUP] Eccentricities of the Animal Creation by John Timbs - dl

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
romnempire

Post by romnempire »

vviera wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:18 pm With the two links to chapter 18, two durations, and two places where it says "edit" in the message, I am unclear whether the section is ready for PL or not.
This board doesn't seem to support strikethrough markup, so I am unable to both preserve the history of the post and make it readable.

The post should be read in reverse chronological order, with the characters after "Edit:" representing the contents of the edit.

Please inform as to how this information should be readily conveyed.

The section is ready for PL.
moguai

Post by moguai »

Hello :)
I have just uploaded a recording for section 23- Fish of British Columbia for review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/eccentricities_23_timbs_128kb.mp3

Duration- 11:48

Forgot to respond earlier but happy to have name Cassandra Franulovich to represent my name as a reader.

Thanks!
vviera

Post by vviera »

romnempire wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:57 pm
vviera wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:18 pm With the two links to chapter 18, two durations, and two places where it says "edit" in the message, I am unclear whether the section is ready for PL or not.
This board doesn't seem to support strikethrough markup, so I am unable to both preserve the history of the post and make it readable.

The post should be read in reverse chronological order, with the characters after "Edit:" representing the contents of the edit.

Please inform as to how this information should be readily conveyed.

Thanks. I would just put a new message rather than an edit. "Got it fixed. Ready for PL now."
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

romnempire wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:57 pm [chap 18]
You have a pleasant voice and really clear diction. I enjoyed listening to it. Excellent text reading, no corrections needed on that.

Very good on the nightingale song! When I’m PLing, I listen to the text accelerated. It was especially fun at a higher speed!

2:23, 25:18 When they’re used, footnotes need to be inserted at the point in the text from which they are referenced. By the end of the section, the listener will have no idea what “The popular name of this bird…” is referring to. You can place them exactly where they lie, or at the end of a sentence or paragraph if hearing the footnote exactly in place will be really disruptive of the thought. Just as you’ve done below, pause, say “Footnote. [text] End footnote.” and continue on. Fortunately, in this case, you can just snip it off the end and insert at 2:23.

BTW, sometimes the first post will give specific instructions on footnotes like this one does, or may say specifically not to include footnotes, or to include them all. If no instruction is given, they’re typically optional, but you can always ask in the forum. Footnotes like #13 here (i.e., a citation) aren’t usually included.

No change needed this time, but as a note, when I see “M.” (i.e. “M. Meves), I always pronounce the “M.” as Monsieur, even if the surname isn’t French. How did you choose Maister(?) for Meves? The author is a little confusing here, because he does differentiate with Mr. Wolley. What do you think?

Cheers, VERLA
keepitcamino

Post by keepitcamino »

vviera wrote: January 6th, 2024, 10:05 am
keepitcamino wrote: January 6th, 2024, 3:40 am Here is section 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/eccentricities_04_timbs_128kb.mp3
[21:17]

I attempted to upload twice since my internet cut out the first time, I wasn't sure it went through :oops: I also tried to edit this one less, hopefully that took care of the issue from my previous section.

many thanks in advance!
PL OK - excellent reading! You are going to be a great contributor to Librivox. So glad you found us!
thank you!!
"Come freely, go safely, and leave something of the happiness you bring."
vviera

Post by vviera »

moguai wrote: January 6th, 2024, 8:49 pm Hello :)
I have just uploaded a recording for section 23- Fish of British Columbia for review:

mleigh, you may have missed here that moguai may be added to the catalog as Cassandra Franulovich.
Section 23
You also have a very pleasant voice to listen to and great diction. Notes:

There are 2.5 seconds silence at the beginning. Please trim to between .5 and 1 second.

:22, :25 You don’t need to read the section title twice. Either one is fine, pick the one you like more :) and delete the other one.

2:13 “Footnote 19” and 11:02 (20) No need to change anything this time, but rather than saying the number, just say “Footnote.” The listener will not have necessarily heard all the numbers, and unlike while reading the written text, their eyes are not having to bounce down below to find the correct note, so I think it tracks best without.

2:24 and 11:13 Say here, “End footnote.”
End of #19 Preceding the phrase “When dried…”
And end of #20 Preceding the phrase “It is caught as high up…”

5:13 Again, no need to change anything this time, but I like to say “quote” and “end quote” before and after longer quotes. I believe it helps the listener follow the text better.

There are a little more than 3 seconds silence at the end. Please extend to 5 seconds.

Cheers, VERLA
lloydemerson

Post by lloydemerson »

Hello! For my first foray into recording with librivox, may I please claim section 14?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

lloydemerson wrote: January 9th, 2024, 6:26 pm Hello! For my first foray into recording with librivox, may I please claim section 14?
Welcome to LibriVox and thank you for picking this fun title to start with. You may have section 14. How would you like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog? You may use your real name, your forum name, a nickname, or something else.

Please let me know if you have any questions and happy recording.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

vviera wrote: January 7th, 2024, 9:21 am

mleigh, you may have missed here that moguai may be added to the catalog as Cassandra Franulovich.
Section 23

There are 2.5 seconds silence at the beginning. Please trim to between .5 and 1 second.

:22, :25 You don’t need to read the section title twice. Either one is fine, pick the one you like more :) and delete the other one.

2:13 “Footnote 19” and 11:02 (20) No need to change anything this time, but rather than saying the number, just say “Footnote.” The listener will not have necessarily heard all the numbers, and unlike while reading the written text, their eyes are not having to bounce down below to find the correct note, so I think it tracks best without.

5:13 Again, no need to change anything this time, but I like to say “quote” and “end quote” before and after longer quotes. I believe it helps the listener follow the text better.

There are a little more than 3 seconds silence at the end. Please extend to 5 seconds.
Thanks - she is in there now.
lloydemerson

Post by lloydemerson »

mleigh wrote: January 9th, 2024, 7:52 pm
Welcome to LibriVox and thank you for picking this fun title to start with. You may have section 14. How would you like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog? You may use your real name, your forum name, a nickname, or something else.
Thank you! Lloyd Emerson will do
romnempire

Post by romnempire »

vviera wrote: January 7th, 2024, 8:44 am
romnempire wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:57 pm [chap 18]
You have a pleasant voice and really clear diction. I enjoyed listening to it. Excellent text reading, no corrections needed on that.

Very good on the nightingale song! When I’m PLing, I listen to the text accelerated. It was especially fun at a higher speed!

2:23, 25:18 When they’re used, footnotes need to be inserted at the point in the text from which they are referenced. By the end of the section, the listener will have no idea what “The popular name of this bird…” is referring to. You can place them exactly where they lie, or at the end of a sentence or paragraph if hearing the footnote exactly in place will be really disruptive of the thought. Just as you’ve done below, pause, say “Footnote. [text] End footnote.” and continue on. Fortunately, in this case, you can just snip it off the end and insert at 2:23.

BTW, sometimes the first post will give specific instructions on footnotes like this one does, or may say specifically not to include footnotes, or to include them all. If no instruction is given, they’re typically optional, but you can always ask in the forum. Footnotes like #13 here (i.e., a citation) aren’t usually included.

No change needed this time, but as a note, when I see “M.” (i.e. “M. Meves), I always pronounce the “M.” as Monsieur, even if the surname isn’t French. How did you choose Maister(?) for Meves? The author is a little confusing here, because he does differentiate with Mr. Wolley. What do you think?
Thanks on the voice! Will do on the footnote, I briefly searched the forum for guidance on how to do those and came up empty.

Per the honorifics:

For context to anyone who wants to chime in, "M." is used in this section to describe M. Wichterich, of Bonn and M. Meves, of Stockholm. M. Meves is once referred to as Mr. Meves, which may be a typo.

I was generally aware Meister was a title used in German to mean _something_, so I went with it. I don't have any good usage examples. How did you come to pronounce M. as Monsieur for non-French speakers? I've never really encountered this before, but that doesn't feel quite right?

After more googling, Meister is probably anachronistic or improper, as it is used mostly in the context of guilds. Seeing as the references to Meves come from a scholarly journal, I am beginning to believe this is actually "Magister", as referenced in German wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademischer_Grad "der Magister, Abkürzung: M. oder Mag. (früher auch Mr.)"
vviera

Post by vviera »

romnempire wrote: January 11th, 2024, 12:20 am Per the honorifics:

For context to anyone who wants to chime in, "M." is used in this section to describe M. Wichterich, of Bonn and M. Meves, of Stockholm. M. Meves is once referred to as Mr. Meves, which may be a typo.

I was generally aware Meister was a title used in German to mean _something_, so I went with it. I don't have any good usage examples. How did you come to pronounce M. as Monsieur for non-French speakers? I've never really encountered this before, but that doesn't feel quite right?

After more googling, Meister is probably anachronistic or improper, as it is used mostly in the context of guilds. Seeing as the references to Meves come from a scholarly journal, I am beginning to believe this is actually "Magister", as referenced in German wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademischer_Grad "der Magister, Abkürzung: M. oder Mag. (früher auch Mr.)"
Interesting. I guess my impression for academic works is that it's always Monsieur. Another thing that makes me think that is that I've also seen MM. (Messieurs) paired with multiple surnames of varying nationalities. It seems like you shouldn't have to do research to find out where someone is originally from and which to use. Like, if they have a German surname but are from the U.S. I'll stick with Monsieur. Do as you see fit!

p.s. Congrats on all that research. I think about .1% of LVers would have gone to that extent.

Cheers, VERLA
moguai

Post by moguai »

Section 23

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely factor that into future recording. I wasn't sure of how best manage the footnotes so that was really helpful.

I have added the pause at the start; removed the second statement of the section title and extended the break at the end to the full 5 seconds.
Please let me know if there is further amendment required. Thanks again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/eccentricities_23_timbs_128kb_v2.mp3
vviera

Post by vviera »

moguai wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Section 23

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely factor that into future recording. I wasn't sure of how best manage the footnotes so that was really helpful.

I have added the pause at the start; removed the second statement of the section title and extended the break at the end to the full 5 seconds.
Please let me know if there is further amendment required. Thanks again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/eccentricities_23_timbs_128kb_v2.mp3
Hi there,
You didn't put in the "end footnote" statements. One now goes at 2:18, the other at 11:08. Please add those in.
There is now 6 seconds silence at the end. I would let it slide, but since you have to open the file anyway to insert the "end footnote" bits, please snip off the extra second.

When you post a correction, give the new duration. (In this case, 11:45)

Also, when you upload the file after a correction, don't change the file name (i.e., you added v2). The system will know the one you upload is the most recent and will default to that.

You're almost there!

Cheers, VERLA
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »