[SOLO] The Quakers in the American Colonies by Rufus Jones - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Dick

Post by Dick »

The Quakers in the American Colonies, by Rufus Jones (1863 - 1948), Isaac Sharpless (1846 - 1920) et al.
This volume is an attempt to study historically and critically the religious movement inaugurated in the New World by the Quakers , a movement important both for the history of the development of religion and for the history of the American Colonies , and to present it not only in its external setting but also in the light of its inner meaning . (Summary by Rufus Jones)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/quakersinamerica00joneuoft/page/n9/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-06-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: Colonial History, quaker, society of friends

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Quakers in the American Colonies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Quakers in the American Colonies, by Rufus Jones, et al. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Quakers in the American Colonies, by Rufus Jones, et al. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Quakers in the American Colonies, by Rufus Jones, et al."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: quakersamericancolonies_##_jones_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. quakersamericancolonies_01_jones_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Dick on October 30th, 2023, 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smile, Breathe and Go Slowly :)
Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would love to join you as DPL again. :)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Dick

Post by Dick »

Perfect!
Thanks, Larry!
Richard Vogel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I changed the text link to let the reader decide on the format (pdf if they wish). Also, I'm inclined to just give the full author list (Rufus Jones assisted by....) in the first intro and the book ending statement. Elsewhere just say "Rufus Jones." The decision, however, is entirely yours. If you shortened the filename to quakersamericancolonies_##_jones_128kb.mp3, I certainly would not object. Again, your decision. Let me know if any changes are need. Enjoy.
Dick

Post by Dick »

It all sounds good!
Thanks!
Richard Vogel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I just edited my comments above.
Dick

Post by Dick »

The book is divided into an introduction and 5 books
Introduction
Book 1. 8 chapters
Book 2. 2 chapters
Book 3. 3 chapters
Book 4. 4 chapters
Book 5. 9 chapters

How do I organize that?
I don't know what's acceptable; if I could I would eliminate the 5 Book format and simply list the 26 chapters by name.
Will that be okay?
Richard Vogel
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

At the beginning of the intro and in the outro, you could just give the section number. The book and chapter numbers could be given only at the end of the intro along with the book and chapter names. The book name could be mentioned only in the intro of the first chapter of that book (at the end of the intro as just stated). The MW could just give the names of the book/chapter names (or just the chapter names). There are many possibilities.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
Dick

Post by Dick »

Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

We're off!
Preface is PL OK
~ Larry
Dick

Post by Dick »

My wife had a knee replacement and I'm currently a full-time nurse, driver and errand boy. I'll be getting back to the book in a week or so. :?
Richard Vogel
Dick

Post by Dick »

Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dick wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:33 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/quakersamericancolonies_2_jones_128kb.mp3

The introduction is finally ready for PL.
Ah, yes, I had the same role last year!
Happy to say she is hiking and climbing stairs pain free.

Just one small note for this piece:
4:27 – 4:32 Repeat of “In the Puritan Colonies of New England,”

Awfully good for such a long passage. :thumbs:
~ Larry