SOLO Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest by Walter Noble Burns - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest, by Walter Noble Burns (1866 - 1932)
First published in 1927, "Tombstone" defined the legend of lawman-gunfighter Wyatt Earp. A mixture of fact and fiction, Walter Noble Burns's portrayal of Earp has profoundly influenced subsequent generations of historians, novelists, and screen writers. But Burns' book covers much more of Tombstone Arizona's history than just the Earp brothers, introducing the reader to such colorful characters as Curly Bill, John Slaughter, Indian Charlie, Coyote Smith, and John Ringo. This important book was the result of careful research and interviews of old-timers who knew Tombstone in its roaring days. (Summary by Dale Barkley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x000664687&seq=1

Target completion date: 2024-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Westerns; *Non-fiction/True Crime; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: frontier arizona history western pioneer

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest, by Walter Noble Burns. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest, by Walter Noble Burns. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Tombstone: An Iliad of the Southwest, by Walter Noble Burns."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: tombstoneaniliad_##_burns_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. tombstoneaniliad_01_burns_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by DaleBarkley on October 29th, 2023, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: I shortened the filename a bit. Long ones can cause problems. Do we need to advertise for a DPL?
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

craigdav1 wrote: October 29th, 2023, 5:52 am MW coming up.

edit: I shortened the filename a bit. Long ones can cause problems. Do we need to advertise for a DPL?
Yes! Should I just add a ~ before the SOLO? :)
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

DaleBarkley wrote: October 29th, 2023, 6:24 am
craigdav1 wrote: October 29th, 2023, 5:52 am MW coming up.

Yes! Should I just add a ~ before the SOLO? :)
I just did that - and thanks, by the way, for being the MC for this one! I'm looking forward to this project - I just finished reading the whole book. It'll be fun to record.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

We'll stay in this forum for a bit to see if we can get an offer to DPL.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Dale and Craig,
I'd be interested in being the DPL for this project if you still need someone. It looks like a great book!

Thanks,
Lora
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

ADKreader1122 wrote: October 29th, 2023, 10:28 am Hi Dale and Craig,
I'd be interested in being the DPL for this project if you still need someone. It looks like a great book!

Thanks,
Lora
Wonderful! That's fine with me. :)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Great! Then it's off to the Going Solo forum.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to working with you.

Lora
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

Chapter 0 (Sources) is ready for PL! I'll get into the actual chapters of the book soon. :D
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Dale,
PL Okay for section 0.

Lora
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

ADKreader1122 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 4:59 pm Hi Dale,
PL Okay for section 0.

Lora
Thanks!
DaleBarkley

Post by DaleBarkley »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL! These will be LONG chapters, so grab a cup of coffee! :D
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Good to know, Dale-thanks. I will probably listen tomorrow.

Lora
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Dale,
One small note for chapter 1 at 13:17--please change "external" to "eternal" in "...at their eternal salaam before..."

Thanks,
Lora