COMPLETE Thought Power Its Control and Culture by Annie Besant - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
karenv

Post by karenv »

Thought Power Its Control and Culture, by Annie Besant

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue https://librivox.org/thought-power-its-control-and-culture-by-annie-besant/
(Summary by )
This book presents a clear and systematic study of the nature of thought from the Theosophical perspective. Its study will help the reader gain a deeper knowledge of one's mental nature and how to master this important power to stimulate one's own spiritual growth and for the helping of humanity.

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/thoughtpowerits00besagoog

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: BCEDXAsT
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Nonfiction, Theosophy, Philosophy, Psychology, Self-Improvement, Self-Help

Keywords that describe the book: Thought, Mental Body, Evolution of Consciousness

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Thought Power Its Control and Culture. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Thought Power Its Control and Culture, by Annie Besant. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Thought Power Its Control and Culture, by Annie Besant. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Thought Power Its Control and Culture, by Annie Besant."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thoughtpoweritscontrolandculture_##_besant_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thoughtpoweritscontrolandculture_01_besant_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by karenv on December 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello Karen,

Welcome to LibriVox! I see you're switching software around to get the technical/editing side of things figured out. We also strongly recommend that new readers join in a group project or two before launching into a solo - it lets you get a feel for how much work goes into each section, but it also gets you started using the LV process. There are a few extra steps to a solo, so starting off with the basics is usually the best option.

If you'd like, we can move this over to "On Hold", and then get this project going once you have a few sections under your belt. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll go ahead and move us to "On Hold" for now. Whenever you feel you're ready, any admin can shift it on back. :)
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
karenv

Post by karenv »

I'm not sure I'm going to use Reaper - I spent time trying to figure it out and its just way too complicated. I will go back to audacity. I just didn't like how hard it was to edit.

I've already been recording so I was waiting to see if someone was going to be assigned as MC to help me. I don't know why this was put on hold, but I'm starting to figure out people may not be interested in this book since I was on there as a new project launch for a while and no one signed up. I don't know what to do about that - is it automatically cancelled if no one wants to help? Can you please put it back so someone can be assigned to help? I'm quite sure no one will if its in the on hold category, or are you trying to tell me not to do this? I don't have interest in reading other books, just this one. Are you rejecting me Librivox?

I have the following question - do I need to read the Table of Contents?
Once I start recording chapters, I put each one in a separate file to export, right? Even if its short just a short forward?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is explained in the post before yours.
Experience has shown us that in most cases when a new reader leaps into a book they give up after often 1 chapter - it is not as easy as it seems, after all we can all read can't we ? So it is suggested you start with something short - but if you are determined that is fine.
But it is necessary that you do the one minute technical test as was explained in your welcome email - this is not an audition, we just need certain settings to be able to store the recording safely for future sharing, so I'll give you the address of the instructions, and as soon as you have got the formatting right, you can be moved from this "parking" station

Anne
OK I missed you had started so you are in the launch pad - we were waiting for you to respond. I don't have time to help you from scratch at this time but someone will be along

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

If you need help in any part of the test process just ask. Anne
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Right. I see you do have a test in with Audacity. If you end up recording with that, and with the same settings - then there's no need for another test!
But if you decided to use a different program, we'd want to confirm that the settings for it are set up correctly too. We wouldn't want you to have to scrap a recording because the settings weren't right on that particular program.

As for the other questions you had, those would both be up to you. You'd make any of the decisions a "Book Coordinator" would make in a group project, which is another reason we recommend folks get used to things first. You haven't been rejected, we just want to prepare you if you'll allow us to do so.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Every project gets an MC (the one who puts in the Magic Window and who catalogs the project when it's all done) unless the soloist pulls the project.

Aside from what others have said, I personally am full on MC projects right now. There are a couple close to finishing, but the last little bit needs to be done! When they are off my plate, I'll have room to add one or two more. I try to keep an eye on all the projects I MC rather than "set and forget", so I don't want to have so many projects that I can't do that. :)

So yeah - while you're waiting, try a Weekly Poetry or some other bit of a section or two in group projects to get your feet wet and the wrinkles worked out of your recording process. Someone will come along and set this up for you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I can set this up, Karen! I've work on other Besant projects and I can tell you they're quite popular with listeners :)

All beginnings are difficult, but well begun is half done! That's why we have to set a good foundation at the beginning. If you have no interest in recording other texts, there's no point in forcing yourself although that would give you invaluable experience that you could then use on your solo project. It's worth considering!

I'll go get you a Magic Window and then post some more.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We have a Magic Window!

Clever thinking on your part to go for just the required fields to make the project template generator work! Now to fill in the rest. Have you prepared a summary and keywords, and what genre would you have chosen?
karenv wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:50 pm I have the following question - do I need to read the Table of Contents?
You don't need to, but you could if you wanted to. It's usually skipped, as is an index. Usually.
karenv wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:50 pm Once I start recording chapters, I put each one in a separate file to export, right? Even if its short just a short forward?
Up to you! You can combine chapters or keep them separate. Specifically for the forward, you can keep it separate, or combine it with the Introduction. You could also skip it altogether as it's not part of the main text. Decide on that before starting so that we adjust the intros accordingly.

Now on to the technical part, which I'm sure you'll do great, since you've managed to get this far on your first project! As a soloist you are your own BC (book coordinator) which means you are also responsible for the Magic Widow. Here's all you need to know about it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password for the Magic Window (MW). This will also be your password for the uploader (forum name + MW password).

It's a lot of information, so please ask if anything is unclear. Basically, you fill in the Section titles, and whenever you upload a recording, you put the duration in the Notes field, enter the file url, and mark it Ready for PL in the last column. Then also post in the thread that you've added new files in the Magic Window, so that all project activity is recorded in the forum.

PS. Regarding editing in Audacity, what is it that gives you a hard time? I find it quite straightforward, like editing text in a word document; highlight with the mouse, and delete, or cut/copy-paste, etc.
karenv

Post by karenv »

Great - thank you rap for helping me! i will read the info about how to start posting the recordings. It's not a long book, and I am hoping to finish by the end of this year, so I had put Dec 31, 2023 as target completion date.

For genre - I originally put "philosophy" - it even calls itself that, but I also originally put "psychology", and also "religion" and "self-improvement" or "personal development". For keywords "theosophy". "thought control" "self-improvement"?

I had a summary before I lost it twice, but it could be: "This little book will familiarize you with the nature of thought from the Theosophical perspective, and teach you how to use thought vibration to your advantage and for the helping of humanity."

I will choose to not read the table of contents, and will put the forward and introduction together.

I thing the main thing I didn't like about editing in Audacity is I wanted to delete a section and re-record it right in that same spot but it seems to always record it at the end and I had to cut and paste it, and finding that same spot was tedious. But at least I can do it.

Thanks again!
karenv

Post by karenv »

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Nicely read, Karen! Will you be able to add the ending phrasing "End of forward", then leave 5 seconds of silence?

karenv wrote: November 5th, 2023, 3:21 pm I thing the main thing I didn't like about editing in Audacity is I wanted to delete a section and re-record it right in that same spot but it seems to always record it at the end and I had to cut and paste it, and finding that same spot was tedious. But at least I can do it.
What I do is, I record any new bits in another audacity file, then copy and paste them on the original.

As for finding the same spot when needed, I use the "Label track". It's in menu Tracks -> Add New -> Label track, if you'd like to try it. It adds a track under the waveform track, where you can add notes/labels. So I often use the label "here" to be able to find a specific spot again. :lol:

I'll move us to Going Solo!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

By the way, here's your Reader page in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/reader/19044 where the projects you read for are listed. Would you like to be featured by a different name in the catalogue? or is karenv fine as is?
karenv

Post by karenv »

Thanks for the label tip! I figured there must be a way of marking spots. I have a couple new things to try now in Audacity.

I will add the 'end of Forward' wording - probably this weekend. I also ordered mic foam covers which should arrive by then.

Not sure about catalog name - does it have to be all small letters? My only other thought is Karen V. but if that's not allowed, then karenv is fine.

Thanks!