[GROUP]A Cabinet of Gems, by Philip Sidney/George MacDonald-mtf

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 2 (17:34). I'm soooo glad I forgot this was the book that had the long S...mixed in with the random F lol. As always, happy to edit anything that I've mispronounced or misread as an S/F (or vice versa).

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_02_sidney_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cbteddy wrote: January 4th, 2024, 7:25 pm Hello! Here is section 2 (17:34). I'm soooo glad I forgot this was the book that had the long S...mixed in with the random F lol. As always, happy to edit anything that I've mispronounced or misread as an S/F (or vice versa).

Thank you. I will listen soon!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

In the meantime, I have uploaded the preface. Would anyone be willing to PL that one for me?
earl

Post by earl »

mightyfelix wrote: January 7th, 2024, 6:42 pm In the meantime, I have uploaded the preface. Would anyone be willing to PL that one for me?
It would be my first time, but I would be happy to do this. (Btw, I've various recordings almost ready for you! Should be done editing this week... I too did not expect falling off of librimundus... :oops:)
mummibee

Post by mummibee »

Could I take section 6 please?
Belinda
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

earl wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:02 pm
mightyfelix wrote: January 7th, 2024, 6:42 pm In the meantime, I have uploaded the preface. Would anyone be willing to PL that one for me?
It would be my first time, but I would be happy to do this. (Btw, I've various recordings almost ready for you! Should be done editing this week... I too did not expect falling off of librimundus... :oops:)
Thank you! Please be my guest. Hopefully I will have made your first PL job an easy one. :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

mummibee wrote: January 18th, 2024, 10:22 pm Could I take section 6 please?
Thank you, yes. It's all yours!
earl

Post by earl »

The preface is PL OK!
czandra

Post by czandra »

I'll do 3 and 12, thanks.

and condolences

Czandra
Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

Sometimes a bunch of things from your life experience come together with a reading, and bingo! Thank you Helena Blavatsky - viewtopic.php?p=2324108#p2324108

czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_03_sidney_128kb.mp3
30:23.5

Around 22:35 there's a spot where I think I read "stave" instead of "slave", but I couldn't find it....
Cz

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you! I will try to devote a good chunk of time this weekend to PLing.
earl

Post by earl »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

czandra wrote: January 29th, 2024, 1:28 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_03_sidney_128kb.mp3
30:23.5

Around 22:35 there's a spot where I think I read "stave" instead of "slave", but I couldn't find it....
Cz
Thank you for this excellent reading! I am perfectly willing to call this PL ok, although I did find the spot you refer to, as well as one other where I noticed a misread. These are both minor, as far as I'm concerned, but if you would like to address them, you have that option. Just let me know, either way, please.

23:37 Stave instead of slave, p. 54. About a minute after the spot you were thinking of. I also hear a slight ff-, as though the long s almost got you here. :wink:
29:13 I happened to notice that here on page 60, you have read "minstrels" instead of "mistress."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cbteddy wrote: January 4th, 2024, 7:25 pm Hello! Here is section 2 (17:34). I'm soooo glad I forgot this was the book that had the long S...mixed in with the random F lol. As always, happy to edit anything that I've mispronounced or misread as an S/F (or vice versa).

Good work! I didn't notice a f/s mixup, but I did find something else, due of course to a printer's convention that we don't see anymore in new books.

5:22 You have omitted a word from this poem. It is shifted to the previous line, so that it looks like a side note or something, but this was a common way of printing in order to save space. On page 15, the underlined is missing: "Never the earth on his round shoulders bare/A maid trained up from high or low degree/That in her doings better could compare/Mirth with respect, few words with courtesy."