[GROUP]A Cabinet of Gems, by Philip Sidney/George MacDonald-mtf

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

A Cabinet of Gems, by Sir Philip Sidney (1554 - 1586) and George MacDonald (1824 - 1905)
A Cabinet of Gems, cut and polished by Sir Philip Sidney; now, for the more radiance, presented without their setting by George MacDonald.

"By these extracts from writings I have long loved, I hope to help some of my friends to a genuine acquaintance with the writer." (From the preface.)

The excerpts in this book, edited by George MacDonald, are taken primarily from Sir Philip Sidney's "The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia" and relate to a wide range of subjects. (Summary by Devorah Allen)
NOTE TO READERS:
This book was printed using the "long s" which, even at the time, was archaic and had already fallen out of use. If you are unused to reading a text printed in this style, fear not. It does take a little bit of practice, but context will almost always tell you whether that character that looks like an f is really an f or if it's really an s. If you are unsure at any time about what a particular word might be, you can always ask before recording, and we'll hash it out together! I will DPL and will be particularly watching for any f/s flips, I mean slips. :wink:

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b0000378760

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of A Cabinet of Gems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Cabinet of Gems, by Sir Philip Sidney, edited by George MacDonald. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Cabinet of Gems, by Sir Philip Sidney, edited by George MacDonald."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: cabinetofgems_##_sidney_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. cabinetofgems_01_sidney_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
bountonw

Post by bountonw »

Section #14 please.
Brian
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'll bite. How about 11 and 14

Finally settling in back here in California, so I'll be able to devote more time to LV.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

bountonw wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 9:24 pm Section #14 please.
Thank you, all yours!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: October 24th, 2023, 12:43 am I'll bite. How about 11 and 14

Finally settling in back here in California, so I'll be able to devote more time to LV.
I was hoping this project would tempt you! :lol:

I can assign you 11, but 14 had a prior claim. I goofed when setting this up, though, and didn't notice until 24 hours later. Looks like I accidentally posted the project in the launch pad 3 times. :shock: You and Brian posted your claims on two of the different duplicate threads that I made, but he was a little bit quicker. Anyway, I've merged everything together and deleted the duplicates. You might want to make sure that you're still subscribed to this thread, since it's technically not the same thread that you claimed in. Sorry about that!

This is why I tell myself not to set up new projects late at night. Do I listen? Never! :lol:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Devorah
May I read section 16 (appendix 2)?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
bountonw

Post by bountonw »

Brian
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:17 pm Hi Devorah
May I read section 16 (appendix 2)?
You got it, thanks!

And I think it's high time to head over to Readers Wanted. :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for the quick work. I look forward to hearing it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Very nicely done, and definitely PL ok. Thanks so much! :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On Poetry:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_11_sidney_128kb.mp3 16:01

Whew, that was a challenging read. :shock:
It was not so much the f vs s, although that was an additional challenge, but the odd phrasing, vocabulary, and a few foreign phrases thrown in. There is one at about 15:00 that I'm still baffled by, so if there is anything you want read a different way, just let me know. And, I apologize for the patches being a poor match. I just didn't have it in my to edit it at the same sitting as I usually do. Let me know if they're too bad. Usually, my final versions are about 3/4 to 2/3 of my raw, unedited recording. This was more than 1/2 as long. :mrgreen:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: November 8th, 2023, 4:23 pm On Poetry:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_11_sidney_128kb.mp3 16:01

Whew, that was a challenging read. :shock:
It was not so much the f vs s, although that was an additional challenge, but the odd phrasing, vocabulary, and a few foreign phrases thrown in. There is one at about 15:00 that I'm still baffled by, so if there is anything you want read a different way, just let me know. And, I apologize for the patches being a poor match. I just didn't have it in my to edit it at the same sitting as I usually do. Let me know if they're too bad. Usually, my final versions are about 3/4 to 2/3 of my raw, unedited recording. This was more than 1/2 as long. :mrgreen:
I see what you mean! I was not expecting that Latin, much less the Greek! You did a great job with it.

11:11 Text here (p. 156) is "...who seeth not the filthiness of evil..." I hear "...who seeth not the sinfulness of evil..."
11:14 I hear "...wanteth a great soil to perceive the beauty of virtue." I believe this should be foil, as you would say that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are foils to one another, for example.
15:10 I hear "But if (see of such of but!)..." I think this is another f, making it fie, as in "fie, for shame!"

For the section at 15:00, do you mean the one about English, as compared with Greek and Latin? I think the gist of that one is that English is almost as good as Greek for making nice phrases, and much better than Latin. But I thought you did a fine job reading it, in any case.

Thanks for working at this one!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:03 pm Section 16 - Appendix II

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_16_sidney_128kb.mp3
6:06 Text here (p. 202) is "...human reason and affection." I hear "...human reason and affliction."
9:14 I didn't think to specify this while setting up this project, but I realized when listening to your ending that I thought it might be nice to include the full title here in the ending. I will be using it in the intro to the first section, but it's too long for every section. And so maybe a reiteration at the end of the book would be nice. If you wouldn't mind, would you please read the ending title as given on the title page of the scan: "A Cabinet of Gems, cut and polished by Sir Philip Sidney; now, for the more radiance, presented without their setting by George MacDonald."
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan