[GROUP]A Cabinet of Gems, by Philip Sidney/George MacDonald-mtf

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I please have section 1?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cbteddy wrote: November 18th, 2023, 4:53 am May I please have section 1?
Of course! Thank you, I look forward to hearing it.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 1 (8:58).

Oof, those long esses can take a long walk off a short pier! And then, they had the audacity (no pun intended lol) to mix in some actual words with the letter 'f'. I think I took out all the awkward redos, but always happy to adjust anything as needed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_01_sidney_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hahaha! :lol: Yes, they sure can be a pain. I get why MacDonald had the book printed this way, but man it makes it harder for us!

I won't get a chance to PL this week. Nonstop busy from now until Sunday night. But I look forward to hearing this when I can!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cbteddy wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:20 pm Hello! Here is section 1 (8:58).

Oof, those long esses can take a long walk off a short pier! And then, they had the audacity (no pun intended lol) to mix in some actual words with the letter 'f'. I think I took out all the awkward redos, but always happy to adjust anything as needed.

Nice work on this challenging text! :clap: I heard one f/s mixup, and a couple of spots where there's a jarring cut at a page turn. I heard a few other cuts here and there, but they were much smoother. You may have heard this advice before, but it's worth repeating. The best way to redo when you mess up is to go back to the last punctuation mark or the last place you took a breath, and redo from there, rather than in the middle of a phrase. That way, you can cut and replace entire phrases rather than making your cuts in between individual words, and your whole recording will sound much smoother. (Free advice, and you're free to take it or leave it alone. :D )

3:41 OPTIONAL Here there is an obvious cut at the page turn, bottom of 4: "...and made him find that the world of worthiness had[ ]not his whole globe comprised in his breast." It's not crucial, since none of the words actually got cut out, but the jump is obvious and a bit jarring. Have a listen and decide if you think it's worth a redo.
4:12 Here's one of those actual f's you were talking about. :wink: P. 5, the text here should be "the fit mask of his disguised falsehood." I hear "sit mask."
4:49 Some words cut off at the page turn. I hear "But under these qualities lies s[uch a p]oisonous adder..." Bracketed part is cut out.

Great work, overall!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

mightyfelix wrote: November 26th, 2023, 8:02 pm
Cbteddy wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:20 pm Hello! Here is section 1 (8:58).

Nice work on this challenging text! :clap: I heard one f/s mixup, and a couple of spots where there's a jarring cut at a page turn. I heard a few other cuts here and there, but they were much smoother. You may have heard this advice before, but it's worth repeating. The best way to redo when you mess up is to go back to the last punctuation mark or the last place you took a breath, and redo from there, rather than in the middle of a phrase. That way, you can cut and replace entire phrases rather than making your cuts in between individual words, and your whole recording will sound much smoother. (Free advice, and you're free to take it or leave it alone. :D )

3:41 OPTIONAL Here there is an obvious cut at the page turn, bottom of 4: "...and made him find that the world of worthiness had[ ]not his whole globe comprised in his breast." It's not crucial, since none of the words actually got cut out, but the jump is obvious and a bit jarring. Have a listen and decide if you think it's worth a redo.
4:12 Here's one of those actual f's you were talking about. :wink: P. 5, the text here should be "the fit mask of his disguised falsehood." I hear "sit mask."
4:49 Some words cut off at the page turn. I hear "But under these qualities lies s[uch a p]oisonous adder..." Bracketed part is cut out.

Great work, overall!
Thank you for the feedback and tips. I'm still getting comfortable with editing, etc. so I always appreciate anything to help me get better :)

I was so close with the darn f/s. I'll upload the updates in the next day or so. So glad my sarcasm came through in my post as well. It's so hard with text sometimes. I actually really enjoyed the challenge, and just like to complain in a joking manner. It's nice when others can commiserate!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Updates have been made and the new file is uploaded. Time increased to 9:00 with the edits, including the optional one.

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you! I am just doing a quick update before heading out of town tomorrow, so no time to check it now. Stay tuned!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

alanmapstone wrote: November 12th, 2023, 2:55 am Section 16 revised
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_16_sidney_128kb.mp3
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, back "home" so able to do these corrections. So, I did get tripped up on a couple of those f vs s words. Let's try this:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cabinetofgems_11_sidney_128kb.mp3
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

1, 11, and 16 are all Spot PL ok! :clap:

Thank you so much, all of you! :D
earl

Post by earl »

Could I take section #5?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

earl wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:10 pm Could I take section #5?
Yes, it's all yours! :D
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 2?
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cbteddy wrote: December 26th, 2023, 3:43 pm May I have section 2?
Certainly. Thank so much!