[COMPLETE] Mr. Moffatt by Chester Cobb-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

You're right about Section 10. Now I'm not sure I even made that correction. I'll get it done next time. Thanks also for the Leslie Stephens bio - look forward to reading tomorrow. What a shame the whole DNB isn't available!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_13_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 10:56

This is Section 13 ready for PL, but again there is an alt version in it, which will have to wait until the printed book arrives (if it ever does!). Around 1:56, the text says 'bondage warehouses' and he certainly means 'bonded warehouses'. I googled 'bondage warehouse' just to be sure and it means something quite different!
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 24th, 2023, 9:02 am Just very quickly today, but more another time:

11 and 12 are spot PL OK but I think with 10 I'm still hearing the same thing.

Also came on to tell you that the latest free DNB is Leslie Stephen, if you want a longer bio over the weekend:
https://www.oxforddnb.com/display/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-36271
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 14 ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_14_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 15:01

It seems that Mr Moffatt is not available on interlibrary loan after all, but there is a reference only copy in the State Library. It's easy enough to get to, but I don't want to go there every time there seems there might be an error. So what I will do is upload Sections 10 and 13 with just the versions as they appear in the scanned text, and I will keep the possible corrections on hand in case they are needed. If there are more potential errors, I'll do the same and then check when everything is finished. Unless it is a simple printer's error, I would go with the printed version, even if it does look like a mistake.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

eggs4ears wrote: November 25th, 2023, 3:59 am This is Section 13 ready for PL, but again there is an alt version in it, which will have to wait until the printed book arrives (if it ever does!). Around 1:56, the text says 'bondage warehouses' and he certainly means 'bonded warehouses'. I googled 'bondage warehouse' just to be sure and it means something quite different!
O my! Yes, bonded warehouses looks to be a widely used term even now, so that seems the likelier candidate.

The reading of section 13 is fine, but I've marked it as having notes (along with 8 and 10) as a reminder that the file has an alternate take/repetition in there in its current form. I'm happy to wait until the end and then if you are able to get a chance to check the printed version, then we can just have a round of finalising at the end. Sounds good!

This is a shot in the dark, but if photo exhibits are your cup of tea the Ocean Photographer of the Year is currently on in your city.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2023/nov/21/2023-ocean-photographer-of-the-year-in-pictures
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 10, ready for spot PL!
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 21st, 2023, 12:31 pm 12.17-12.23, p 77
...her great white superstructure, and her towering, gently-smoking [heard gently-smoked], yellow funnels.
Up to you. It’s a small change, but I think my first association with ‘smoked’ is more with food and flavouring than visual appearance.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 15 ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_15_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 16:44

I have uploaded 10 for spot PL as that was a simple correction, rather than an alternate take. I'll also leave 8 and 13 as they are for now and check when we are closer to the end.

Surprisingly, this is the first book I've recorded with these kinds of 'mistakes', so I just want to check on the policy. My feeling is that I should correct if it is an obvious printing mistake - for example, I have just recorded 'He put the telephone to his ear', where the text says '...to his car'. But if it is something like 'bondage warehouse', I should not correct - especially if it is in the original text - because it is not my job to second guess what the author meant. Is that correct?

Thanks for the Ocean photos link. I have never been to the maritime museum, so maybe I should take a trip. But even if I don't the photos in the article are stunning! I love the underwater shots of cormorants.
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 28th, 2023, 8:19 am
The reading of section 13 is fine, but I've marked it as having notes (along with 8 and 10) as a reminder that the file has an alternate take/repetition in there in its current form. I'm happy to wait until the end and then if you are able to get a chance to check the printed version, then we can just have a round of finalising at the end. Sounds good!

This is a shot in the dark, but if photo exhibits are your cup of tea the Ocean Photographer of the Year is currently on in your city.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2023/nov/21/2023-ocean-photographer-of-the-year-in-pictures
Newgatenovelist

My internet conked out for many hours yesterday and finally got restored mid-morning (not that I needed it overnight). Sorry to be lolloping behind, but I will PL the new stuff! Maybe that's appropriate, given Mr. Moffat's wild goose chases and running hither and yon literally and metaphorically.

One optional note for 14:
13.32-13.35, bottom p 93
But he just smiled and stroked her hand [heard head].

I assume your question is meant for Anne. The only thing I will throw out - though you probably could have thought of this yourself - is something that won't work with this particular book, which is to go look at other scans online. Sometimes you will get more confused if you find a different editions with textual variants, but it can be worth trying if you have that option.

Anne, I wanted to say thank you for that cover!
Newgatenovelist

Section 10 is spot PL OK. You're right, that's a different category (?) of amendment but I lumped it in with the others. Sorry to have confused matters!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I did answer but it seems to have been lost in transit. The text rule is really to stop people changing words that are "politically incorrect" (or giving little explanations of their own. So I'm confident the phone wasn't held to a car. And it is hard to visualise a
bondage warehouse
but which word is wrong should be clearer in the context :D "bonded warehouse" or "bondage whorehouse" :D :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Haha! Perhaps I should choose the second and see if anyone notices!
annise wrote: November 30th, 2023, 3:49 pm I did answer but it seems to have been lost in transit. The text rule is really to stop people changing words that are "politically incorrect" (or giving little explanations of their own. So I'm confident the phone wasn't held to a car. And it is hard to visualise a
bondage warehouse
but which word is wrong should be clearer in the context :D "bonded warehouse" or "bondage whorehouse" :D :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the PL note on 14, noted for later. Meanwhile, here is section 16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_15_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 11:16

We are half way through the sections, but more like two thirds of the way through the book, so the sections must be getting shorter. If you'd like to let them build up and PL in groups that's fine for me!
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 15:

15.10, omission, top p 100, phone call with the doctor
“Yes, I see. Well——”
“Suppose you've no objection.”
[“I——”]
“Eh?”

eggs4ears wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 3:46 am We are half way through the sections, but more like two thirds of the way through the book, so the sections must be getting shorter. If you'd like to let them build up and PL in groups that's fine for me!
I haven't tried to break down page counts or word counts, but I did wonder idly about that. At least at my level of engagement with the book - PLing, but not re-reading and taking careful notes - I've not picked up on a really interesting structural aspect of the text. Just different length chapters!
I'll try to keep on top of it. I prefer not to let stuff stack up if it can be helped. I've fallen afoul of the 'I'll have more time later' line of thinking more often than I ought to have - things don't disappear if you put them off!
Newgatenovelist

Section 16 is PL OK!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 15 ready for spot PL! (I'll have to re-record for 14 - although the word 'hand' comes up many times in the book, it is never with the right intonation :()

And Section 17 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_17_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 09:53

Drama ahead! I'll try not to keep you waiting too long.
Newgatenovelist

15 and 17 are PL OK.

With 14, and with other notes, these are just notes. (And with 14, the head/hand still retains the sort of patronising quality.) I flag stuff because I notice it, but it's ultimately up to you as the narrator what you want to - or are able to - change. That's most obvious in the case of something like this where the availability is one transcription or bust, or changing conditions in your dedicated recording space (you lucky sod!), but if you really can't get a good re-recorded bit to patch in it won't be the end of the world. Ultimately this is a free audiobook of something that might not otherwise have attracted listeners/readers, so don't lose sleep over some of the weird hurdles with this project.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 18 ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_18_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 10:13

And Section 14 ready for spot PL! I do appreciate that you spot these errors and I like to correct them just in case it makes a difference. In this case, I agree that he could just as well have stroked her head, but I think it does matter that he stroked her hand instead. Because she then takes his hand a few seconds later and also there is the whole thing of his hands being cold and her warming them. I found it quite touching (no pun intended), but I know what is coming up, so let's wait and see...
Newgatenovelist wrote: December 5th, 2023, 2:03 pm With 14, and with other notes, these are just notes. (And with 14, the head/hand still retains the sort of patronising quality.) I flag stuff because I notice it, but it's ultimately up to you as the narrator what you want to - or are able to - change. That's most obvious in the case of something like this where the availability is one transcription or bust, or changing conditions in your dedicated recording space (you lucky sod!), but if you really can't get a good re-recorded bit to patch in it won't be the end of the world. Ultimately this is a free audiobook of something that might not otherwise have attracted listeners/readers, so don't lose sleep over some of the weird hurdles with this project.