[COMPLETE] Mr. Moffatt by Chester Cobb-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re cover - haven't managed yet to find a suitable Sydney pharmacy - what sort of masterpiece was it / what period?

I don't know if you saw the SBS show about the paintings stolen from New Norfolk and the Phillipines art forgery industry but I think there are always people who copied the old masters though not always with fraudulent intentions'

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

The summary is ready to go.

This is the best image I can find, though not 100% appropriate and I am not sure if we are allowed to use CC licensed images. The period of the book is 1920s, but there are several mentions of trams passing the front door of the shop. The book is set in 'Claverley', which is Waverley, and the image is from a search for Waverley on the City of Sydney archives.

https://archives.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/1932503?keywords=waverley&type=all&highlights=WyJ3YXZlcmxleSJd&lsk=313443093ea6d703149a50cbac7494a6
Last edited by eggs4ears on January 13th, 2024, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Actually, this would be better - it is a chemist's shop on a street corner in Sydney in the 1920s and it is out of copyright.

https://archives.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/1932503?keywords=waverley&type=all&highlights=WyJ3YXZlcmxleSJd&lsk=313443093ea6d703149a50cbac7494a6
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The cars are a bit anachronistic - so Clovelly is Waverley. I wondered why I'd never heard of it. I'm fiddling with an idea.
It's all ready to be catalogued soon , I finished Erin's first. Anne

You've used the same link for the photos - no chemist shop :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This project is complete! All files may be found on our catalog page:https://librivox.org/mr-moffatt-by-chester-francis-cobb/

Thanks Phil and Erin :clap: :clap:
And to all those who care for keping records of "old" books and authors and maintain their storage and access routes.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne! Yes, it's good to have chance to take Mr. Moffatt out of the wardrobe and dust him off!

Sorry about posting the wrong link. The cover is great and nobody would have seen that it was a chemist's shop anyway :)

In the book it was Claverley, which is based on Waverley, but I think also on Clovelly, which is nearby and just down the coast from Bondi.