Your Truly Truly Useless Skill

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
txphred

Post by txphred »

Generally, Esperanto is used at the European Society for Population Economics for internal rants. You might try contacting them.
txphred

Post by txphred »

English: There are hobbies more worthless than Esperanto.

Esperanto: Estas hobioj pli senvalorajaj ol Esperanto.

Klingon: 'op bel Qu' lo'laHbe' law' eSperanto lo'laHbe' puS.

{ This is my last post on Esperanto. I'll be devoting my time to translating Sanskrit into Esperanto. }
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

More Klingon though, please!
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Winnifred wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 12:45 pm
Jazbees wrote: November 1st, 2023, 7:01 am Another one: I've become a master a the Flow mobile app. I've completed all 8040 published Free Play levels, mostly without using hints, and still regularly do the daily and weekly puzzles. I haven't bothered to make the effort to do all levels in the related Flow Free Hexes and Flow Free Warps, but I'm pretty proficient with the daily puzzles in both.
Curses! Curiosity got the best of me, and I've now been sucked into the Flow as well :evil: :help:
Yes. I have fallen into its seductive trap as well! Darn it to heck! (So fun!)
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Once you figure out the patterns to look for, it becomes much easier.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Jazbees wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:54 am Once you figure out the patterns to look for, it becomes much easier.
True, and yet still fun.
For me once I get two or three flows into a game, then it's all good!
vviera

Post by vviera »

DavidYoung wrote: December 6th, 2023, 4:57 am Is there anyone here who speaks, or who knows someone who speaks, fluent Esperanto?

I'm simply curious to know what motivated them. I'm guessing that those who learn it are already fluent in at least two languages already.
I don't know how fluent I am, but I taught myself Esperanto about 5 years ago. My motivation was just curiosity. Once around 2000 I was at a party in Tucson and they had on the old Esperanto film Incubus, starring William Shatner. (Yes!) I already knew Esperanto existed, but after that I was always more curious. I finally learned it when the module came out on duolingo. A lot of Esperantists are polyglots who just love languages. That's me, though I'm more polyglot-ish. I was lucky to be living in Seattle at the time, and there is an active group of Esperantists there, so I was able to attend events.

However, can I really say this is useless? Because I PL for Esperanto projects on LibriVox! I also met Esperantists in Paris and Sydney by just showing up at a meeting. Esperantists LOVE Esperantists. You can show up anywhere in the world at an Esperanto event, and they will be THRILLED to see you. Saluton! Bonvenon! It's an interesting community.

My current PL is Vojaĝo interne de mia ĉambro
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

This discussion about Esperanto resonates with me. I’ve always been interested in languages, & when I was in college, I went through a period when I thought it might be fun to learn Esperanto, so I got an Esperanto book, but I never actually learned it, probably because I had no one to practice it with. (I did see the film Incubus years later, but it was long after my desire to learn Esperanto had passed, so I was watching the film mainly out of curiosity at that point.)

My top “useless” skill is probably logic games, the type you see on the LSAT, but you also may be able to find them in puzzle books at the grocery store. I personally don’t think they’re “useless,” but I wouldn’t recommend thinking you should go to law school just because you’re really good at logic puzzles!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I do a pretty good Woody (the?) Woodpecker imitation.
txphred

Post by txphred »

What do you know?
LibriVox recording of Esperanto Self-Taught with Phonetic Pronunciation, Volume 1, by William W. Mann. Read by Nicholas James Bridgewater.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Are we allowed to do recordings in conlangs?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
vviera

Post by vviera »

Bookworm360 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:42 pm Are we allowed to do recordings in conlangs?
Esperanto is a conlang, so that's one at least. What language are you thinking of?
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

The fantasy ones :D
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just find a published text that is clearly and legally not copyrighted in the USA and ask then :D

Anne
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

I can impersonate Nellie Olson's (from the Little House on the Prairie TV show) voice to a T, but I personally cannot think of anything that it is useful for.
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)