Your Truly Truly Useless Skill

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Let's get it out of our systems. To paraphrase that 80s song by Tears for Fears let's "shout shout let it all out". What skill did you put in so much effort and time into getting, only to find a wasteland of uselessness.

For me it was teaching myself to compose classical piano music. I knew nothing about composition. I had to write every good boy deserves fruit and all cows eat grass on a piece of card to look at. I composed everything in a computer program; you were thinking that I PLAY the piano? I play the piano about as much as I swim in The Olympics. I would compose the score on Finale and then import the score into Fruity Loops to get the piano sound. This was all in 2015. I had not done any music since the usual beginner stuff at school. That was when East Germany still existed.

For the first few months I composed total noise. Over time I started to use triads. Then I used more complex chords like suspended chords. I even started to do weird experiments like having a different key in the bass clef and the treble clef. Then I stumbled upon a music composition competition. It asked for ten minutes of original piano composition! But the deadline was in TWO WEEKS! :help:

I made the insane, maniacal decision to enter! I composed over those two weeks like a maniac. Every minute I was composing. I composed into the night sometimes till 3 or 4 am. Pssst yep this was composing vampire style! Somehow I finished it and posted my printed, bound [ as required] composition off by the TWO WEEK :help: deadline. According to WHO going without sleep is a class two carcinogen. Well, I would have made a medical man shudder more than Watson seeing Holmes put stuff up his nose. My composition to me sounded like someone running past a traffic light. I had looked for pictures and stumbled on those weird German traffic lights: Ampelmännchen. Yes, I called my composition that: Ampelmännchen. Lorda and anyone else German here would have picked up the nearest weighty object and thrown it at me.

Of course I did not expect to seriously win anything in this effort. Nonetheless I was mad, bonkers and obsessive enough to enter. Most competitions were for "young composers" so this was a rare one for having no such restriction. A few months passed. Then I got an email:

"Your entry Ampelmännchen has not succeeded. There is a high standard of entry in this competition. Enter again in 2018".

That really is snark. Don't say that you're happy for me to enter again. State it like a date. Someone does something for nothing and that's all they get. I don't even know if they listened to the entry; it did ask for an mp3 file of it as audio and I had provided that. At least if people enter a science fiction writing competition you can say that Judges read your entry. They may hate it. But at least they would read it. That summed up the whole classical music culture to me: they just think that people are there to work their guts out to make massive compositions. They are so entitled.

I didn't compose a lot after that. I messed around with psychedelic electronica. Then I went all Linux in 2019 as Windows became a radioactive bomb crater that I had to escape at any cost. That ended it. You can compose in Linux but I couldn't be bothered.

According to The musical cognoscenti I am meant to be ashamed of what I composed. Give any of these music professors the circumstances that I had and two weeks and see what the heck they would do. See how they would handle it. TWO WEEKS. What I did wasn't good. But it was 100% mine. I didn't imitate or recirculate anyone else's stuff in any way whatsoever. Yes, I know the quote that great people steal and all that. I don't feel any shame. They would try to recycle some fugue or something. I'd say no no no no you're not doing that! This is ten minutes of ORIGINAL music for you to do in two weeks pal. I still have the score somewhere. I can hear it when I cast my mind back to it. It sounded to me like rushing cars on a highway after a traffic light has changed.

What a useless skill to have spent SO much time and effort to do. I try to joke that I was either George Constanza learning to compose music, or maybe Manuel from Fawlty Towers. It's not funny. I am proud of what I made. Even if it was terrible. The reply of snark saying in effect that I should not have entered: well that said a lot more about them then what it did about me. To me being a musician isn't about how many degrees someone has or how many orchestras someone conducts. One of us appreciated musical creativity. One of us didn't. One of us had basic respect. One of us didn't.

It's been nearly nine years since I composed Ampelmännchen. I can still hear it in my head right now. Those judges can not. Their loss.
Last edited by lightcrystal on October 21st, 2023, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
CuriousEntling

Post by CuriousEntling »

I LOVE love this and also really hate it -

I hate it when people like bosses or judges or whoever either have NO idea that they receive and hold bits of peoples souls in their hands and that is to be honored and respected OR they do know and they get great disgusting delight in crushing people. It's horrible either way and I'm sorry this all happened in such an unsatisfactory way. Good job sharing and getting it out there!

And I LOVE love love this. I love that you learned such a cool thing, I love that you worked at it and enjoyed it and I LOVE the bravery and confidence and joy you had in it to put it out there to be heard!! Your piece IS part of the universe and it is a part of you, and no one can take that. :clap: :9: :clap:
I love that you're owning and being proud of yourself, validating your own worth is priceless. You rock!! :clap: :thumbs: :clap:

And on a bit of a rabbit trail, because I happened to be thinking about "skills you cannot put on a resume" the other day:
I also know that the stuff you have learned along the way influences other things in your life and so that music composition skill you worked at continues to bloom and grow in you. Maybe not in a literal music-composing way, maybe in more subtle ways. Skills we learn always add to our creativity tool box and enhance our awareness and enjoyment of the world around us and isn't that really one of the best things about being on this planet?

I too have many "useless" skills, things one could never put on a resume. But I love them.
Things I can't put on resume:
"Brain constantly boiling down everything into bits and organizing them into mental outlines then connecting those outlines in a giant interconnected data mass in own head looking for new patterns that will lead to revelation of new information."
"Can follow instructions but that's boring so will think thru the whole project and come up with ways to improve and put new or interesting spin on it. If these ideas are all shot down, will grudgingly follow directions. Usually."
"Shows quick ability and aptitude to many hand crafts but has zero patience for any of them after conquering the basics."
"Has decent written communication skills but only if she writes and rewrites a thing 10 times, thus making the craft ridiculously inefficient."
:lol:

Anyone else care to share a way they've bravely put themselves out there lately? Or share your favorite non-resume-worthy skills?
-- Nicole
Sailing in a general... that way direction.

2023, 2024: Current Reads: Star Trek Voyager Ghost of a Chance, Welcoming Food, QiGong for Treating Common Ailments
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

You know. I think I’d really like to hear that MP3!
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

I don't feel like music composition falls into the category of useless skills. It may be a skill that you're not actively using, but that doesn't make it a useless skill. There's a distinct difference. IMO a useless skill is something with no meaningful practical application like holding an eating competition record, turning tree bark into a restaurant-quality meal, or training slugs.

Here's a useless skill that I took the time to work on years ago: reciting the alphabet backwards. I can rattle it off without thinking now, but doing so has made no meaningful impact on anyone, myself included.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Another one: I've become a master a the Flow mobile app. I've completed all 8040 published Free Play levels, mostly without using hints, and still regularly do the daily and weekly puzzles. I haven't bothered to make the effort to do all levels in the related Flow Free Hexes and Flow Free Warps, but I'm pretty proficient with the daily puzzles in both.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Jazbees wrote: November 1st, 2023, 6:14 am
Here's a useless skill that I took the time to work on years ago: reciting the alphabet backwards. I can rattle it off without thinking now, but doing so has made no meaningful impact on anyone, myself included.

It amused my father to teach me to recite the alphabet backwards before I was of school age. It was imprinted on my brain as a sort of little song.
I can still sing the alphabet more quickly and accurately backwards than I can in the natural, sensible, useful, alphabetical order.

Best,

Barbara
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Jazbees wrote: November 1st, 2023, 7:01 am Another one: I've become a master a the Flow mobile app. I've completed all 8040 published Free Play levels, mostly without using hints, and still regularly do the daily and weekly puzzles. I haven't bothered to make the effort to do all levels in the related Flow Free Hexes and Flow Free Warps, but I'm pretty proficient with the daily puzzles in both.
Curses! Curiosity got the best of me, and I've now been sucked into the Flow as well :evil: :help:
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Today I stumbled on a fantastic YT video by Tantacrul called "Notation Must Die: The Battle For How We Read Music". Tantacrul [the developer of music notation software Musescore] is at his best here. He discusses the ludicrous mutant horde of music notation alternatives put forward over the last 300 odd years.

I suppose if I got anything out of teaching myself to compose music, it is some ability to swim in such a video.
txphred

Post by txphred »

Making rope by hand.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

txphred wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:03 pm Making rope by hand.
If an asteroid went smash bash into Earth and we were sent back to stone age tech, you might be the most useful person in the village.
txphred

Post by txphred »

I learned how to make rope from maguey cactus when I was a kid. The fishermen on the island didn't trust store-bought rope. Several years ago I sharing a cabin at an isolated construction job. There was nothing to do after work so I started making rope - just for something to do. After a few days the older men told me they always suspected I wasn't really civilized: only a primitive sob could possibly have the patience and concentration for work like making rope. I handed them some flint arrow heads I mapped a couple of days later. It was really funny.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

txphred wrote: November 25th, 2023, 10:06 pm I learned how to make rope from maguey cactus when I was a kid. The fishermen on the island didn't trust store-bought rope. Several years ago I sharing a cabin at an isolated construction job. There was nothing to do after work so I started making rope - just for something to do. After a few days the older men told me they always suspected I wasn't really civilized: only a primitive sob could possibly have the patience and concentration for work like making rope. I handed them some flint arrow heads I mapped a couple of days later. It was really funny.
What a wonderfully neat, and completely un-useless skill :)
That one right there needs a YouTube ;) Thanks for sharing!
DavidYoung

Post by DavidYoung »

Is there anyone here who speaks, or who knows someone who speaks, fluent Esperanto?

I'm simply curious to know what motivated them. I'm guessing that those who learn it are already fluent in at least two languages already.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

DavidYoung wrote: December 6th, 2023, 4:57 am Is there anyone here who speaks, or who knows someone who speaks, fluent Esperanto?

I'm simply curious to know what motivated them. I'm guessing that those who learn it are already fluent in at least two languages already.
I want a conversation between one person speaking Esperanto to another who's speaking in Klingon.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Love it!