[WESTERN ADVENTURE] With Carson and Fremont, by Edwin L. Sabin -brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

With Carson and Fremont, by Edwin L. Sabin (1870 - 1952)
This is another book in the Trail Blazer Series, subtitled, "Being the adventures, in the years 1842–’43–’44, on trail over mountains and through deserts from the east of the Rockies to the west of the Sierras, of scout Christopher Carson and Lieutenant John Charles Fremont, leading their brave company including the boy Oliver."

Christopher “Kit” Carson was a mountain man who joined explorer John Fremont as scout and partner on several of his expeditions that helped open up the west and secure California. In this hostile territory their explorations were filled with adventure and danger. Sabin writes in an entertaining story telling style for boys and all who love the excitement of the early west and look up to brave men as heroes.
(Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59807

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Westerns; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration

Keywords that describe the book: exploration, California, American West, Sierras, Kit Carson, mountain man, laramie, john fremont, klamath massacre, salt lake, platte

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

READER'S NOTE: Kiowa rhymes with Iowa. If you are uncertain about any pronunciation, ask for guidance or consult, howtopronounce.com

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
" Chapter # of With Carson and Fremont. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "With Carson and Fremont, by Edwin L. Sabin. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of With Carson and Fremont, by Edwin L. Sabin."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: carsonandfremont_##_sabin_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. carsonandfremont_01_sabin_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by silverquill on November 30th, 2023, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

With the completion of Buffalo Bill and the Overland Trail we are ready for another book in the Trail Blazer series, this one also by Edwin L. Sabin.

~ Larry
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Larry, I will MC this for you. I am getting your MW right now. As soon as it is filled I will move us to Readers Wanted.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

brownrottger wrote: October 14th, 2023, 7:19 pm Hi Larry, I will MC this for you. I am getting your MW right now. As soon as it is filled I will move us to Readers Wanted.
Thank you so much, Christine!

We are now ready for readers.

A DPL would be most WELCOME!

~ Larry
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Larry,

Thank you once again for selecting another of the projects I produced, with Distributed Proofreaders, for Project Gutenberg, and another of the Trail Blazers series.

In appreciation, I'd like to contribute to this project by recording Section 6: Into the Wilder West, if that will work for you.

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DACSoft wrote: October 14th, 2023, 9:16 pm Hi Larry,

Thank you once again for selecting another of the projects I produced, with Distributed Proofreaders, for Project Gutenberg, and another of the Trail Blazers series.

In appreciation, I'd like to contribute to this project by recording Section 6: Into the Wilder West, if that will work for you.

Thank you,
It certainly does, Don.
Thanks so much!

~ Larry
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Larry, I'd be interested in reading this book in it's entirety. I'd like to honor Don's and your assignment and suggest if you'd like to choose some additional chapters to read, that'd be OK by me.

Otherwise, with your permission, I'd like to take on the rest of the chapters.

Will
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BardSanVO wrote: October 15th, 2023, 4:46 pm Larry, I'd be interested in reading this book in it's entirety. I'd like to honor Don's and your assignment and suggest if you'd like to choose some additional chapters to read, that'd be OK by me.

Otherwise, with your permission, I'd like to take on the rest of the chapters.

Will
Well, I think we've been down this path before.

So, let me suggest that instead of converting a group project that has already been set up into a solo, that you choose another book and set it up as a solo from the start. There are several more books in this series, so you might find them of interest.

On the Plains with Custer Edwin L. Sabin
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60157

Gold Seekers of '49 Edwin L. Sabin
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23192

With Sam Houston in Texas Edwin L. Sabin
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62898

General Crook and the Fighting Apaches
Edwin L. Sabin https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65954

If you really have your heart set on this particular one, I would still consider relinquishing it to you.

Let me know what you think.

~ Larry
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Hello Larry, I'm still admittedly learning the ropes w/in LibriVox, so I appreciate your helpful suggestions.

I would be interested in reading: Gold Seekers of '49 Edwin L. Sabin

I'm also curious, where these three books were or are in the system, and are there other books or genre's that are available for SOLO narrations, and if so, where do they reside?

Will
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BardSanVO wrote: October 18th, 2023, 8:24 am Hello Larry, I'm still admittedly learning the ropes w/in LibriVox, so I appreciate your helpful suggestions.

I would be interested in reading: Gold Seekers of '49 Edwin L. Sabin

I'm also curious, where these three books were or are in the system, and are there other books or genre's that are available for SOLO narrations, and if so, where do they reside?

Will
A couple of thoughts:

1) You're still more than welcome to read something in this project. That might give us a kick start
2) Well, these books came from a list that Don gave me that he worked on with Gutenberg. He has other series as well. I think I've lost track of the original list he gave me, but I'm sure he would be glad to share that with you.
3). Beyond that, there is no "system." You can search for books/topics/authors that would be of interest to you on Gutenberg.org. Anything there is good to go for LibriVox recording. Archive.org is also a good source, but because they are scans of books, they are sometimes more difficult to deal with, and we always need to make sure they're in the public domain.
4) Your choice is a good one -- probably would have been my next in line, but feel free to take it! If you aren't confident in setting up a solo project, I'd be glad to give you some guidance. It is pretty straight forward,,,,

Thanks for your interest in LibriVox and in this series of books!

~ Larry
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Thank you Larry, that was very helpful.

I'll sign up for a SOLO project on: Gold Seekers of '49 Edwin L. Sabin

Like you say, it looks like a good one.

Thank you

Will
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I'd be interested to be your DPL. Would that work for you? - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BetsyWalker wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:34 am I'd be interested to be your DPL. Would that work for you? - Betsy
Most definitely.
Thank you so much.

I anticipate this one taking awhile. We usually end up with a few orphaned sections along the way. So, it will not be fast paced, but I am so glad to have you join us as DPL. :9:

~ Larry
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

silverquill wrote: November 6th, 2023, 11:21 am
BetsyWalker wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:34 am I'd be interested to be your DPL. Would that work for you? - Betsy
Most definitely.
Thank you so much.

I anticipate this one taking awhile. We usually end up with a few orphaned sections along the way. So, it will not be fast paced, but I am so glad to have you join us as DPL. :9:
Hi Betsy, I have put you in as DPL. You should now have access to the MW.
Best,
Christine
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

brownrottger wrote: November 6th, 2023, 12:50 pm
silverquill wrote: November 6th, 2023, 11:21 am
Most definitely.
Thank you so much.
Hi Betsy, I have put you in as DPL. You should now have access to the MW.
Best,
Christine
I look forward to this! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe