[FULL]The Best Ghost Stories by Various - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Best Ghost Stories, by Various
Collected together here by master anthologist Joseph Lewis French are some of the finest ghost stories ever to be put to paper. From the early influential tales of Daniel Defoe and Edward Bulwer-Lytton to more contemporary masters of the terror tale such as M. R. James, Algernon Blackwood and E. F. Benson, this collection brings together a bounty of riches sure to keep you awake into the dark, dreadful night! (Summary by Ben Tucker)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17893

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Best Ghost Stories.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Best Ghost Stories.
Section Title plus author's name." (see MW for details)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Best Ghost Stories."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bestghoststories_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bestghoststories_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by flavo5000 on April 25th, 2024, 3:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Like last year, I thought I'd help get people in the spirit of the season and launch a ghost story collection. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sounds like the perfect project for the season. I am surprised it hasn't been done yet. :shock:

I'll MC, MW will be up shortly

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is up and ready to be filled in. I deleted the mention of the editor in the intro/outro, we don't need to have him there, you already mentioned him in the summary, that is enough to explain his involvement.

This project is by "various authors" and in the second part of the intro you can simply say title+author. I suggest you write the author in the MW as well, that way there won't be any confusion. I gave you an example what this could look like.

Apart from that, all should be smooth sailing I guess :) I let you fill in the MW, then we can move to readers wanted.

Sonia
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Kitty wrote: October 9th, 2023, 11:17 pm MW is up and ready to be filled in. I deleted the mention of the editor in the intro/outro, we don't need to have him there, you already mentioned him in the summary, that is enough to explain his involvement.

This project is by "various authors" and in the second part of the intro you can simply say title+author. I suggest you write the author in the MW as well, that way there won't be any confusion. I gave you an example what this could look like.

Apart from that, all should be smooth sailing I guess :) I let you fill in the MW, then we can move to readers wanted.

Sonia
MW's all filled out and ready to go! Hopefully a PL will come along soon. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

flavo5000 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 4:53 amMW's all filled out and ready to go! Hopefully a PL will come along soon. :)
we can stay another day here to attract one. BTW you do not have to insert metadata for this kind of project, but I guess it's no harm done

Sonia
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Kitty wrote: October 10th, 2023, 4:55 am
flavo5000 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 4:53 amMW's all filled out and ready to go! Hopefully a PL will come along soon. :)
we can stay another day here to attract one. BTW you do not have to insert metadata for this kind of project, but I guess it's no harm done

Sonia
I like doing that because it makes searching on the site once it's published more accurate. If the author is in the metadata, then this collection will show up if a user is browsing by author.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

flavo5000 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 5:00 amI like doing that because it makes searching on the site once it's published more accurate. If the author is in the metadata, then this collection will show up if a user is browsing by author.
well that is only for our "collections", not for full published compilations like these I'm afraid. They are headed under various, that's why putting the names in the MW is crucial.

We are not inserting diverse authors of books into the metadata because it makes our search function actually more over-burdened. So we only do that for collections. I once had a poetry project with hundreds of authors, imagine they would all show up as separate ones, that would have been :shock:

Sonia
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Ok, I’ll be your DPL, provided I can also take Section 8 to read. :wink:

Now here’s an appropriate coincidence. When I offer to DPL a project, I immediately bookmark and number it to keep everything organized. This project would be #13-The Best Ghost Stories…

Thanks
Last edited by Winnifred on October 10th, 2023, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Winnifred wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:09 am Ok, I’ll be your DPL, provided I can also take Section 8 to read. :wink:

Thanks
Sure! Welcome aboard!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:16 am
Winnifred wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:09 am Ok, I’ll be your DPL, provided I can also take Section 8 to read. :wink:

Thanks
Sure! Welcome aboard!
Thanks. See also my edit, above…
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Winnifred wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:20 am

Thanks
Sure! Welcome aboard!
To cap it off, make sure to record your section this Friday, the 13th. :lol:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:38 am
Winnifred wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:20 am

Sure! Welcome aboard!
To cap it off, make sure to record your section this Friday, the 13th. :lol:
Ooh, good idea!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Winnifred wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:09 amOk, I’ll be your DPL, provided I can also take Section 8 to read. :wink:
great, you now have access to the MW and we can move to Readers Wanted

Sonia
AaronZ

Post by AaronZ »

May I please be assigned:

Section 6:
Banshees

Section 12:
The Interval by Vincent O'Sullivan

and

Section 13:
Dey Ain't No Ghosts by Ellis Parker Butler
I post video text versions with me reading live in the video at https://www.youtube.com/@AaronCZim
Of course, I also link back to the specific LibriVox.org pages to build momentum.