[FULL]The Best Ghost Stories by Various - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

ab490 wrote: February 25th, 2024, 12:55 am Hi, here is section 10, The Rival Ghosts.
Duration: 35:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_10_various_128kb.mp3
Thanks! You're queued for PL!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ab490 wrote: February 25th, 2024, 12:55 am Hi, here is section 10, The Rival Ghosts.

Hi Anooshka,

A charming reading and PL OK.

(If I may, I would just suggest that you might want to read a bit more slowly in future recordings, so your listeners can keep up with you more easily.)

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
ab490

Post by ab490 »

Winnifred wrote: February 26th, 2024, 5:09 pm

Hi Anooshka,

A charming reading and PL OK.

(If I may, I would just suggest that you might want to read a bit more slowly in future recordings, so your listeners can keep up with you more easily.)

Thanks,

Thanks, I'll surely keep that in mind!
DaneVO

Post by DaneVO »

Here is my recording of section 9 The Phantom Rickshaw
51:10:38
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_9_various_128kb.mp3
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

DaneVO wrote: March 6th, 2024, 5:55 pm Here is my recording of section 9 The Phantom Rickshaw
Great, thanks! Just one small tweak before I can mark it ready for PL. Can you add a 0 in front of the 9 in the filename so it's bestghoststories_09_various_128kb? Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

flavo5000 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 8:37 pmGreat, thanks! Just one small tweak before I can mark it ready for PL. Can you add a 0 in front of the 9 in the filename so it's bestghoststories_09_various_128kb? Thanks!
actually, instead of reuploading right away, we always suggest first getting it PLed. If there are other PL notes, the filename can be corrected as well. If it's PL ok, just make me a note in the MW and I can correct the filename in my folder. Saves unnecessary extra uploading.

Sonia
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

DaneVO wrote: March 6th, 2024, 5:55 pm Here is my recording of section 9 The Phantom Rickshaw
Hi Neil,

I see this is your first reading for Librivox. You picked a rather long section to start your reading journey!

The proof listening for this project is “Standard.” This means I don’t provide feedback on everything that differs from the original text. I only point out those words that change the meaning or make no sense in context, plus any repeated words or passages that you likely intended to edit out, and any missing text. So the corrections listed here are the ones that must be made to correct meaning, delete repeats, or restore missing text.

Please don’t be discouraged by the number of changes; reading aloud, especially of such a long text, is not easy, and it takes practice. Make your edits starting from the end of your recording so that the time stamps remain the same.
  • At 0:59, I hear “Globe-trotters who expect entertainment as a right, have, even with my memory, blunted this open-heartedness, but, none the less, to-day if you belong to the Inner Circle and are neither a bear nor a black sheep all houses are open to you and your small world is very kind and helpful.” But the text reads “Globe-trotters who expect entertainment as a right, have, even within my memory, blunted this open-heartedness, but, none the less, to-day if you belong to the Inner Circle and are neither a bear nor a black sheep all houses are open to you and our small world is very kind and helpful.” As the first change doesn’t really make sense in this sentence, I think you need to make this correction. The second change doesn’t change the meaning a lot, but if you choose to re-record the entire sentence (which I think would be advisable), I’d fix that one too.
  • At 1:51, there’s a word missing: “The men who do not take the trouble to conceal from [you] their opinion that you are an incompetent ass, and the women who blacken your character and misunderstand your wife's amusements, will work themselves to the bone in your behalf if you fall sick or into serious trouble." I think you need to restore that word or this sentence won’t really make sense.
  • At 3:19, I hear “He certainly was engaged to Miss Mannering and he certainly broke off the engagement.” but the sentence reads “He certainly was engaged to Miss Mannering and she certainly broke off the engagement.” I think this significantly changes the meaning and needs to be corrected.
  • At 3:29, I hear “Overwork stated his illness…” but the text reads “Overwork started his illness...”
  • At 3:47, I hear “The man would make me most unhappy by describing in a low, uneven voice the procession of men, women, children, and devils that was always passing at the bottom of his bed.” but the text reads “The man would make me most unhappy by describing in a low, even voice the procession of men, women, children, and devils that was always passing at the bottom of his bed.”
  • At 4:00, I hear “When I recovered, I suggested …” but the text reads “When he recovered, I suggested …”
  • At 7:53, I hear “Ninety-nine women out of a hundred would have wearied of me as I wearied of them; seventy-five of that number would have promptly avenged themselves by active and obtrusive filtration with other men.” But the text reads “Ninety-nine women out of a hundred would have wearied of me as I wearied of them; seventy-five of that number would have promptly avenged themselves by active and obtrusive flirtation with other men.”
  • At 10:12, there’s a chunk of the text missing. I hear “When I think it over quietly in my sick-room, the season of 1884 seems a vision of a white face flitting by in the 'rickshaw with the black and white liveries I once watched for so earnestly; the wave of Mrs. Wessington's gloved hand; and, when she met me alone, which was but seldom, the irksome monotony of her appeal.” But the text reads “When I think it over quietly in my sick-room, the season of 1884 seems [a confused nightmare wherein light and shade were fantastically intermingled—my courtship of little Kitty Mannering; my hopes, doubts and fears; our long rides together; my trembling avowal of attachment; her reply; and now and again] a vision of a white face flitting by in the 'rickshaw with the black and white liveries I once watched for so earnestly; the wave of Mrs. Wessington's gloved hand; and, when she met me alone, which was but seldom, the irksome monotony of her appeal.”
  • At 12:53, I hear By January I had disinterested what was left of our correspondence from among my scattered belongings and had burnt it.” But the text reads “By January I had disinterred what was left of our correspondence from among my scattered belongings and had burnt it.”
  • At 15:55, there’s text missing: I hear “It is impossible to say here "Kitty," I cried, "there are poor Mrs. Wessington's jhampanies turned up again!” But the text reads “It is impossible to say here [what a flood of undesirable memories their presence evoked.] "Kitty," I cried, "there are poor Mrs. Wessington's jhampanies turned up again!”
  • At 17:34, there’s a repeat of “The 'rickshaw-hood had fallen back, and inside, as I hope and daily pray for the death I dread by night, sat Mrs. Keith-Wessington, handkerchief in hand, and golden head bowed on her breast.” Please delete the first one, as you refer to her in that one as “Miss Keith-Wessington,” but correctly in the second as “Mrs. Keith-Wessington.”
  • At 18:19, I hear “The trivialities were more comforting to me just then than the consultations of religion could have been.” But the text reads “Their trivialities were more comforting to me just then than the consolations of religion could have been.”
  • At 23:05, I hear “…and the wind in my ears chanted the inquiry aloud.” But the text reads “…and the wind in my ears chanted the iniquity aloud.”
  • At 25:08, there’s an extra word. I hear “You know my wife was insanely fond of the woman (never could [tell] see anything in her myself)…” Please delete the word “tell.”
  • At 25:20, there’s a chunk of text missing: I hear “Morbid sort of fancy I call it I laughed aloud at this point; and my laugh jarred on me as I uttered it.” But the text reads “Morbid sort of fancy I call it, [but I've got to do what the Memsahib tells me. Would you believe that the man she hired it from tells me that all four of the men, they were brothers, died of cholera, on the way to Hardwár, poor devils; and the 'rickshaw has been broken up by the man himself. Told me he never used a dead Memsahib's 'rickshaw. Spoilt his luck. Queer notion, wasn't it? Fancy poor little Mrs. Wessington spoiling any one's luck except her own!”] I laughed aloud at this point; and my laugh jarred on me as I uttered it.”
  • At 27:08, I hear “The conversation had already become general; and, under cover of it, I was addressing some tender small talk to my sweetheart when I was aware that in the further end of the table a short red-whiskered man was describing how much broidery his encounter with a mad unknown that evening.” But the text reads “The conversation had already become general; and, under cover of it, I was addressing some tender small talk to my sweetheart when I was aware that at the further end of the table a short red-whiskered man was describing with much broidery his encounter with a mad unknown that evening.”
  • At 28:49 there’s text missing and some words out of order: I hear “"That may be the either D.T. or lights I aught know. I'm on the Blessington lower road.”” But the text reads "That may be either D.T. or eyes for aught I know. [Now you don't liquor. I saw as much at dinner, so it can't be D.T. There's nothing whatever where you're pointing, though you're sweating and trembling with fright like a scared pony. Therefore, I conclude that it's eyes. And I ought to understand all about them. Come along home with me.] I'm on the Blessington lower road.””
  • At 29:11, I hear “Well, you’ve spoilt one for the best tales I’ve ever laid tongue to.” But the text reads “Well, you’ve spoilt one of the best tales I’ve ever laid tongue to.”
  • At 34:25, I hear “‘Singing and murmuring in your feverish mirth,” but the text reads “‘Singing and murmuring in your feastful mirth”
  • At 38:11, I hear “Says that of a man who would have behaved to a woman as you did to Mrs. Wessington ought to kill herself out of sheer pity for his kind.” But the text reads “Says that a man who would have behaved to a woman as you did to Mrs. Wessington ought to kill himself out of sheer pity for his kind.”
  • When you've made all the changes, please save the file with the correct name, as the book coordinator requested (bestghoststories_09_various_128kb).
Let me know if you have questions about the editing process or about any of these changes.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
DaneVO

Post by DaneVO »

Hi Winnifred,
Thanks for the input. Yes this is my first read and hopefully not my last. I will diligently make the corrections and re-upload as soon as possible.
KDonProduction

Post by KDonProduction »

Apologize for the delay, linked below is the first try of Section 2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_2_various_128kb.mp3 [37:10]
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

KDonProduction wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:24 pm Apologize for the delay, linked below is the first try of Section 2!

Thanks! You're queued for PL!

Also hopefully the MC can fix it but for future reference, the number of the section in the filename should have a preceeding zero in front of it (bestghoststories_02_various_128kb.mp3) so that the files will be organized correctly when it's cataloged.
KDonProduction

Post by KDonProduction »

Ah thank you for the reminder I wasn't sure if was supposed be "2" or "02". When I incorporate any updates I'll make the change!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KDonProduction wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:24 pm Apologize for the delay, linked below is the first try of Section 2!

Hi Kyle,

A very nice reading! A few small corrections needed:
  • At 12:40, between the phrase “…though the main of it she thinks she does,)” and “she would have her write a letter to her brother,” the phrase “she said to Mrs. Bargrave,” is missing. Later in the same sentence, I hear ...she would give him rings to such and such...” but the text reads “…she would have him give rings to such and such...” As that’s a rather significant change to the meaning, I think it needs fixing.
  • At 24:40, I hear “Mrs. Bargrave’s authority and sincerity alone, would have undoubted in any other case.” But the text reads “Mrs. Bargrave’s authority and sincerity alone, would have been undoubted in any other case.” I think you need to add that word in or this sentence doesn’t really make sense.
  • At 28:30, I hear “Indeed, it is allowed, with admiral impartiality…” but the text reads “Indeed, it is allowed, with admirable impartiality…” I think this needs fixing.
  • At 29:08, I hear “To have vouched the fact as universally known, and believed by everyone would not have been half so satisfactory…” but the text reads “To have vouched the fact as universally known, and believed by everyone, nem. con. would not have been half so satisfactory…” The phrase nem. con.[/b] is Latin for “no-one disagreeing,” and I think it’s necessary to include it here. It’s pronounced just as it appears.
  • You’ve put your name (“Read by Kyle Donovan…”) at both the beginning and end of the recording, but it should just appear once. Please remove one of these (doesn’t matter which one).
  • When you save and export the file, remember to add the missing 0 before the 2.
Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
KDonProduction

Post by KDonProduction »

Made the updates and changed the title:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_02_various_128kb.mp3 [37:11]

Thank you for the opportunity!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

KDonProduction wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:10 pm Made the updates and changed the title:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_02_various_128kb.mp3 [37:11]

Thank you for the opportunity!
Thanks! This is queued for PL!