COMPLETE[PLAY]The Merry Devil of Edmonton by Shakespeare - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent, well characterized, thank you so much. Especially in act 4, when he talks aside to himself, you convey that very well. :thumbs: Can be marked PL ok right away.

Only a note for future plays. You have excessive background noise which would benefit from a round or two of noise cleaning, also the volume is a bit over our accepted limits. It would be helpful for the editor if a preliminary clean file could be handed in, even though Todd will adjust volumes in the end to match. But the noise cleaning can be done by the readers already (it also makes the DPL's listening experience easier and more agreeable if they don't have to listen to a file with so much background noise ;) )

It's ok for this time, as there are no other textual errors. I will make a note for Todd to watch out for it.

Thanks

Sonia
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you!
Ah, I've seen several projects ask specifically for noise cleaning not to be done, so I figured this was the preference in most cases. I'll make a point to check that from now on, and do that (together with some volume tweaking) when no preference is mentioned. Thanks again! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

redrun wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:22 amAh, I've seen several projects ask specifically for noise cleaning not to be done, so I figured this was the preference in most cases. I'll make a point to check that from now on, and do that (together with some volume tweaking) when no preference is mentioned.
yes I've seen this trend as well and don't really understand it. I am guessing the editors are afraid that people might ruin the files with wrong noisecleaning. I personally prefer to have some preliminary work done and hand in a clean file. And if people (newbies for example) have trouble with the cleaning process, then it's a good moment to teach them how to do it instead of doing it for them. :)

Editors will always tweak volumes and noises still, to make it all uniform. But every clean file makes this work much easier. And files are rarely wholly distorted by cleaning wrongly.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I agree whole-heartedly with what Sonia has just said above. I really want files to be a reader's best effort ready to go into the catalog once I put their words in the right place along with everyone else's words. It both reduces my effort and results in a better final product.

Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

In that case, would it be more trouble for you if I leave it as-is, or if I re-upload after doing my usual post-production (noise reduction, "gentle" compression for loud parts, then Loudness Normalization)? The takes themselves would remain the same, so it would be spot-PL only.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

redrun wrote: September 14th, 2022, 8:23 amIn that case, would it be more trouble for you if I leave it as-is, or if I re-upload after doing my usual post-production (noise reduction, "gentle" compression for loud parts, then Loudness Normalization)? The takes themselves would remain the same, so it would be spot-PL only.
if you want to go through the trouble, I wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't insist on it since it was word-perfect. But anything that can make Todd's job a little bit easier for his hands is appreciated. So thank you

Sonia
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Then I'll have it in later today. Interruptions don't bother me so much when editing as when recording a chapter, so that's what I've got more time for lately. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Banks the Miller, acts 2 and 4 are noise-reduced, re-uploaded, and ready for spot PL.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

redrun wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:21 pmBanks the Miller, acts 2 and 4 are noise-reduced, re-uploaded, and ready for spot PL.
yes now it's so much nicer on the ears. :thumbs: Thank you for this, now definitely PL ok

Sonia
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

I'll take Frank Jerningham acts 1-4
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I almost forgot I had asked for a part in this. I'll get it done this weekend.

Brad
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hi! Nun, act 3 please.
Thanks,
April
April
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd