Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It could be fun to do one of the plays in this collection:

https://archive.org/details/treasuryofplaysf00mose/page/n5/mode/2up

This book is called A Treasury of Plays for Children. The first play is a version of The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I’d love to see on LibriVox. The Testing of Gawayne also looks enjoyable.

I’m at my personal limit for coordinating projects right now, but if anyone else wants to coordinate either of these plays, I’d be glad to read a role. If no one else coordinates readings of these plays, I might BC one of them eventually.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I recently read and enjoyed Ella Cheever Thayer's Lords of Creation: Woman Suffrage Drama in Three Acts. I'd love to see it in the catalog!

Unfortunately, editing a play is not an option for me right now because I'm prone to RSIs (and even if that weren't an issue, I have no experience editing dramatic works and shouldn't be starting off with a longer play like this one). However, if anyone out there would be interested in editing, I could certainly PL the parts and the final acts. I can also BC if the editor isn't interested in coordinating the project, though I'm not sure whether experience with a shorter dramatic work is recommended for BCing as well as editing.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sure. I'll set it up and BC, and you can be DPL.

Later today, perhaps.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Salvationist wrote: December 16th, 2022, 7:48 pm It could be fun to do one of the plays in this collection:
https://archive.org/details/treasuryofplaysf00mose/page/n5/mode/2up
This book is called A Treasury of Plays for Children. The first play is a version of The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which I’d love to see on LibriVox. The Testing of Gawayne also looks enjoyable.
I’m at my personal limit for coordinating projects right now, but if anyone else wants to coordinate either of these plays, I’d be glad to read a role. If no one else coordinates readings of these plays, I might BC one of them eventually.
Some of the shorter plays would make good entries for the 1 act play collection. There you would get help with the BC work from Todd.
I might do one myself for the next collection, maybe Alice in Wonderland or Punch and Judy.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The importance of Lessing's masterpiece in comedy, "Minna von Barnhelm," is difficult to exaggerate. It was the beginning of German national drama; and by the patriotic interest of its historical background, by its sympathetic treatment of the German soldier and the German woman, and by its happy blending of the amusing and the pathetic, it won a place in the national heart from which no succeeding comedy has been able to dislodge it.
Wounded and dishonourably discharged from the Prussian Army and threatened by financial troubles and serious bribery allegations, Major von Tellheim waits at a Berlin hotel, with his servant, Just, for the outcome of his trial. His penniless condition is because repayment of a large sum advanced to the government during the recent war is being held up and his honor in making the loan questioned. During Tellheim's absence from the inn, the landlord has caused Tellheim's effects to be removed, ostensibly because his rooms were needed for a lady and her maid. In reality, the landlord doubts Tellheim's ability to pay, since he is already in arrears.

In the removal of the Major's possessions, the landlord comes upon a sealed envelope marked as containing five hundred thalers. This discovery makes him anxious to placate Tellheim. What he does not know is that the money has been left with the Major by Paul Werner, his former sergeant. Werner, knowing Tellheim's predicament, is in hope that he will use the money as his own. Tellheim is too honorable to borrow when he has no assurance of repaying. Instead, he bids his servant to take his last possession of value, an expensive ring, and pawn it to satisfy the landlord's bill and his own back wages.

Just pledges the ring with the landlord but refuses to accept either wages or dismissal on the plea that he is in Tellheim's debt and will have to work it out. The garrulous landlord shows the ring to some newly-arrived guests, revealing considerable information concerning the owner's circumstances. The lady, Minna von Barnhelm, recognizes the ring as one of the betrothal rings which she and Tellheim had exchanged, and is overjoyed that her search for her missing lover is ended.

When Tellheim appears, however, he refuses to accept her hand or to continue the engagement on account of his precarious circumstances. When no argument can move him, Minna, with the help of her maid, Franziska, pretends that she, too, is penniless and in dire straits. Under these circumstances Tellheim immediately claims the privilege of marrying and protecting her.

At this point a delayed letter from the King is delivered. It announces the restoration of Tellheim's fortune and the vindication of his honor. To punish him for making her suffer, Minna now pretends that she cannot marry Tellheim because of the inequality of their circumstances. In answer to his pleas, she uses his own recent arguments to confound him. Only when Tellheim is reduced to the verge of despair and the belated arrival of Minna's uncle and guardian threatens to give the whole thing away does Minna relent and reveal the truth. In a final scene of celebration, matters are settled to the satisfaction of everyone, including Franziska and Paul Werner who have discovered a lively interest in each other.
Other commenters made observations similar to the Peter principle long before Peter's research. Gotthold Ephraim Lessing's 1763 play Minna von Barnhelm features an army sergeant who shuns the opportunity to move up in the ranks, saying "I am a good sergeant; I might easily make a bad captain, and certainly an even worse general. One knows from experience."
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2663
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minna_von_Barnhelm
Show these fresh projects some love!
Psychology: the Cognitive Powers by James McCosh (1811 - 1894)
The Cambridge History of English Literature Volume 1: From the Beginnings to the Cycles of Romance
DPL 17
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Moving this to the drama forum. Thanks!
Devorah Allen
Out of town May 27-June 2.

Readers wanted for:
A Cabinet of Gems, Sir Philip Sidney and George MacDonald
tefavidal

Post by tefavidal »

I'm surprised that Tolstoy's most famous play "The power of Darkness" hasn't been done yet. I found this translation in Project Gutenberg https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26661 done by Aylmer and Louise Maude which looks like it could be suitable.
Back until end of August.
Catching up on some recordings
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

tefavidal wrote: January 7th, 2023, 4:02 am I'm surprised that Tolstoy's most famous play "The power of Darkness" hasn't been done yet. I found this translation in Project Gutenberg https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26661 done by Aylmer and Louise Maude which looks like it could be suitable.
Sounds like a great idea! I think you’d have lots of interest if you choose to BC this play.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

InTheDesert wrote: December 29th, 2022, 9:14 pm
The importance of Lessing's masterpiece in comedy, "Minna von Barnhelm," is difficult to exaggerate. It was the beginning of German national drama; and by the patriotic interest of its historical background, by its sympathetic treatment of the German soldier and the German woman, and by its happy blending of the amusing and the pathetic, it won a place in the national heart from which no succeeding comedy has been able to dislodge it.
Wounded and dishonourably discharged from the Prussian Army and threatened by financial troubles and serious bribery allegations, Major von Tellheim waits at a Berlin hotel, with his servant, Just, for the outcome of his trial. His penniless condition is because repayment of a large sum advanced to the government during the recent war is being held up and his honor in making the loan questioned. During Tellheim's absence from the inn, the landlord has caused Tellheim's effects to be removed, ostensibly because his rooms were needed for a lady and her maid. In reality, the landlord doubts Tellheim's ability to pay, since he is already in arrears.

In the removal of the Major's possessions, the landlord comes upon a sealed envelope marked as containing five hundred thalers. This discovery makes him anxious to placate Tellheim. What he does not know is that the money has been left with the Major by Paul Werner, his former sergeant. Werner, knowing Tellheim's predicament, is in hope that he will use the money as his own. Tellheim is too honorable to borrow when he has no assurance of repaying. Instead, he bids his servant to take his last possession of value, an expensive ring, and pawn it to satisfy the landlord's bill and his own back wages.

Just pledges the ring with the landlord but refuses to accept either wages or dismissal on the plea that he is in Tellheim's debt and will have to work it out. The garrulous landlord shows the ring to some newly-arrived guests, revealing considerable information concerning the owner's circumstances. The lady, Minna von Barnhelm, recognizes the ring as one of the betrothal rings which she and Tellheim had exchanged, and is overjoyed that her search for her missing lover is ended.

When Tellheim appears, however, he refuses to accept her hand or to continue the engagement on account of his precarious circumstances. When no argument can move him, Minna, with the help of her maid, Franziska, pretends that she, too, is penniless and in dire straits. Under these circumstances Tellheim immediately claims the privilege of marrying and protecting her.

At this point a delayed letter from the King is delivered. It announces the restoration of Tellheim's fortune and the vindication of his honor. To punish him for making her suffer, Minna now pretends that she cannot marry Tellheim because of the inequality of their circumstances. In answer to his pleas, she uses his own recent arguments to confound him. Only when Tellheim is reduced to the verge of despair and the belated arrival of Minna's uncle and guardian threatens to give the whole thing away does Minna relent and reveal the truth. In a final scene of celebration, matters are settled to the satisfaction of everyone, including Franziska and Paul Werner who have discovered a lively interest in each other.
Other commenters made observations similar to the Peter principle long before Peter's research. Gotthold Ephraim Lessing's 1763 play Minna von Barnhelm features an army sergeant who shuns the opportunity to move up in the ranks, saying "I am a good sergeant; I might easily make a bad captain, and certainly an even worse general. One knows from experience."
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2663
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minna_von_Barnhelm
I'm going to prep and launch this soon.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

tefavidal wrote: January 7th, 2023, 4:02 am I'm surprised that Tolstoy's most famous play "The power of Darkness" hasn't been done yet. I found this translation in Project Gutenberg https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26661 done by Aylmer and Louise Maude which looks like it could be suitable.
Hi, tefavidal :)

I could BC this for you if you're interested in doing the stage directions and we can find an editor. My editing plate is too full to take it on without that help offered from someone.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
tefavidal

Post by tefavidal »

LCaulkins wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:35 am Hi, tefavidal :)

I could BC this for you if you're interested in doing the stage directions and we can find an editor. My editing plate is too full to take it on without that help offered from someone.
That sounds great! I'd be happy to do the stage directions :)
Back until end of August.
Catching up on some recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am going to run The Birds, by Aristophanes. Why? Becuz I am reading Cloud Cuckoo Land (by Doerr, 2021) and this play is where the phrase Cloud Cuckoo Land comes from, though rendered as Cloud Cuckoo Borough in the play version I like.

https://archive.org/details/birdsofaristoph00aris/page/n67/mode/2up
"The Birds' differs markedly from all the other Comedies of Aristophanes which have come down to us in subject and general conception. It is just an extravaganza pure and simple—a graceful, whimsical theme chosen expressly for the sake of the opportunities it afforded of bright, amusing dialogue, pleasing lyrical interludes, and charming displays of brilliant stage effects and pretty dresses."
Should be fun.

EDIT: Launched. viewtopic.php?t=96320 Love to have a DPL!

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I have been asked recently if I had any drama projects in the pipeline. Although I don't have any immediate plans I do have a wish list of dramas I would like to do sometime so I thought I would post it to see if there would be any interest.

Wish list:

Tristan and Iseult by Arthur Symons (completed)

The Beggar's Opera by John Gay (completed)

Athaliah by Jean Racine (completed)

The Bacchanals by Euripides (completed)

Medea by Seneca (completed)

Pelléas and Mèlisande by Maeterlinck (completed)

Samson Agonistes by John Milton (completed)

Life is a Dream by Calderón de la Barca (completed)

Agamemnon by Seneca (completed)

Andromache by Euripides (completed)

Dido and Aeneas by Nahum Tate (completed)

Tristan and Isolde by Richard Wagner (completed)

Manfred by Lord Byron (completed)

Jephtha by Thomas Morrel/Handel (completed)

King Arthur by John Dryden (completed)

Oedipus by Seneca (completed)

Don Carlos by Schiller (in progress)

Troades by Seneca

Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus/Browning

Prometheus Unbound by Shelley

Iphigenia in Tauris by Goethe

Agamemnon by Aeschylus (Millman translation)

Electra by Euripides

Lohengrin/Parsifal by Richard Wagner

Boris Godunov by Alexander Pushkin

Venice Preserved by Thomas Otway

The Two Foscari by Lord Byron

Dido, Queen of Carthage by Christopher Marlowe

A Chaste Maid in Cheapside by Thomas Middleton

Marriage a-la-mode by John Dryden
Last edited by alanmapstone on April 28th, 2024, 10:27 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Alan,

If you will BC and DPL, I will edit

Athaliah by Jean Racine (perhaps this script?) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21967

Boris Godunov by Alexander Pushkin (the play) https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5089

Marriage a-la-mode by John Dryden (maybe there is a better script?) https://archive.org/details/marriagealamodec00dryd/page/n17/mode/2up

All at once if you wish - they won't likely finish together (hah!)

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Hi Alan, I would also like to express interest in working with you on some of these as an editor, I haven't done it before but it's something I'd like to try out if you don't mind an amateur. Though also because I haven't done it before it's probably better to start small, I've been thinking of doing one of those one act plays when the next collection starts to get some experience but if you're wiling to wait I'd be interested in working on some of these in the future.