COMPLETE: The Life of Abraham Lincoln, Volume 2 by Ida Tarbell -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

It's cool about the page numbers. I've been jotting them down on my LV workpad where I write my "come-back" timestamp notes for files I'm in the middle of editing. :)

Section 24 is PL OK :thumbs:

I'm sure it *was* tedious to read in. Great job, though. You never sounded bored. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I thought maybe that was the case. I keep copious notes, too. Now, for the next two sections - and maybe the whole rest of the appendix - there are pages missing, as well as duplicated pages, in the version I had been using. If that's the case for you, try this link: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t6b27qg6r&view=2up&seq=4&skin=2021
It has so far been good. It is odd that HathiTrust has so many different copies of the same book. Section 25 is up!

Glad to hear I did not sound bored. Perhaps that comes from 35 years of middle school teaching - the ability to sound like I am interested in something that, in my heart of hearts, I find rather boring, like participial phrases.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks for the link - I'll bookmark this one. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 24 is PL OK :thumbs:

I found the number of pardon telegrams interesting.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Well, good, because there's plenty more where that came from! :D As I read them, I have to think, "There was some kid who lived out his life because of this telegram."
Section 26 is up.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 27 is also up. So profoundly boring that my assistant editor, Mr. Nick Charles the cat, fell into a deep sleep and tumbled off the back of his chair. :lol:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oops, I forgot to report and record Section 26 this morning, which is PL OK :thumbs:

Too funny, Mr. Nick Charles! Cats are hilarious when their dignity gets injured.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi wrote: August 13th, 2021, 3:56 pm Section 27 is also up. So profoundly boring that my assistant editor, Mr. Nick Charles the cat, fell into a deep sleep and tumbled off the back of his chair. :lol:
Hey, I just opened this one to have a listen - The title in the MW doesn't match the date span for the recording (should be Oct 1863 to Jan 1864).

I'll update this note regarding the recording after I've finished running it. :)

----

Edit: The date range in the MW title is the only point of attention for Section 27.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks! I fixed it. I honestly am kind of surprised I haven't made that error before in this volume. Btw, my assistant editor is back at his post, so I guess he has gotten past his embarrassment.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Huh. The site winked out there for a minute. At any rate, next section (28?) is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

It's been acting spotty and weird for me the last two or three days.
~Lynette * -
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

It's on and off. We are working on identifying what's causing it and then finding a fix...
Jo
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 28 is PL OK :thumbs:

You know, he issued SO MANY stays of execution, it makes me wonder what the various commanders thought of that. Did they groan the second an aide announced a telegram from the CIC? or did a lot of them feel relieved? Probably was a mixed bag of emotions. A couple chapters ago, though, it cracked me up that he was responding to a list of upcoming executions he saw in a newspaper. . . One would think the CIC would receive notice of deserters and scheduled executions before the press did. . . :hmm:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yes, I have thought the same thing. On the one hand, they were no doubt compelled by the letter of the law to execute these soldiers and may have been relieved that the orders were given to suspend execution. On the other hand, some of them may have felt that their authority was being undermined.
Section 29 is up.

BIG NEWS If I can fit it into the time frame, which seems likely, I am going to make the next section our last. It would only be 18 pages, and there is no use tacking on a little 5 minute section at the end.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, wow! I'm sure you'll be happy to finish reading these, although I have been finding it interesting to hear his speeches and correspondence. Lots of repetitive stuff, but the pure volume of those pardons in particular speak to you, you know?

Section 29 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -