[COMPLETE]Greater Life and Work of Christ by A. Patterson-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Linda777

Post by Linda777 »

Hi,
Section 14, Chapter 5 part 4 is done.
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_14_patterson_128kb.mp3
Time: 34:10

Hope all is correct.
Thank you so much, I really enjoyed it. I would like to hear if my files are correct before maybe taking another part just in case I'm doing something massively wrong and have to redo them.

Blessings
Linda
DaisyMae65

Post by DaisyMae65 »

ID like to read section 15 and 16 please

Daisymae65
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Linda777 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 1:41 am Hi,
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_14_patterson_128kb.mp3

Hope all is correct.
Thank you so much, I really enjoyed it. I would like to hear if my files are correct before maybe taking another part just in case I'm doing something massively wrong and have to redo them.

Blessings
Linda
Thanks, Linda! This is in the MW, and I'll try to have them both PLed by end of day tomorrow. One of them, at least! :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DaisyMae65 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 9:43 am ID like to read section 15 and 16 please

Daisymae65
Welcome, Daisy! I'm always pleased to welcome someone into one of my projects as their first contribution. :9:

I'll go ahead and assign these to you. What name would you like to use as your catalogue name? It can be the same as your forum name, or your real name or some pseudonym, whatever you want. (This is what you'd say when you read "Recording by ______" during the introduction of each section.)

I see that you've already passed your 1-minute test, so you can get started whenever you're ready. Be sure to read the first post carefully, and please ask if you have any questions after that!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ares wrote: August 26th, 2020, 8:16 pm
mightyfelix wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 2:54 pm Thank you, Ares! I very much enjoyed listening to this section. :9: I didn't hear anything that needs to be corrected, except that I want the chapter title to be included as part of the introduction. The text itself all sounded good. Well done!

0:21 Please include the chapter title in the introduction. In this case, "Christ in his present state and work, part 2." (I realized looking at the instructions in the first post that this wasn't stated very clearly, so I have updated it to reflect this.)
Thank you so much for listening, i've just fixed it:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_12_patterson_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if i should fix anything else. Cheers!!
Thank you so much! I'm sorry that it took me a few days to get to this spot PL. They are usually quick and easy.

Something about this still sounded off to me, and I couldn't figure out what it was, because you did exactly what I said needed to be done. But then I realized that I must have been having an off day that day, because the book title and author needs to be restated, and that was what was missing! :oops: I'm so sorry, I should have caught this as well. Here again is what we need (copied from the first post; the part in bold is missing):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Greater Life and Work of Christ. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Greater Life and Work of Christ, by Alexander Patterson. [Chapter title (part number if applicable)]"
I promise that should really be everything now! :?
DaisyMae65

Post by DaisyMae65 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2020, 8:47 pm
DaisyMae65 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 9:43 am ID like to read section 15 and 16 please

Daisymae65
Welcome, Daisy! I'm always pleased to welcome someone into one of my projects as their first contribution. :9:

I'll go ahead and assign these to you. What name would you like to use as your catalogue name? It can be the same as your forum name, or your real name or some pseudonym, whatever you want. (This is what you'd say when you read "Recording by ______" during the introduction of each section.)

I see that you've already passed your 1-minute test, so you can get started whenever you're ready. Be sure to read the first post carefully, and please ask if you have any questions after that!

Susan Lamar is fine. I will do my best. But nervous lol.
When I upload it will be to mightyfelix? Or Deborah Allen,
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You'll upload to mightyfelix. Only forum names are listed in that drop down box.

No need to be nervous! We were all new once. Try to relax and enjoy the process, and remember that you're your own worst critic. The things you hear that bother you when you listen to your own recording probably won't even be noticed by someone else. This is a difficult text as well, so don't feel bad if you decide you'd rather get some practice on something shorter and easier and then come back to this. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Linda777 wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:48 am It is done :clap:
Here is my recording of Chapter 5 Part 3, section 13. I hope I did everything correctly because of this being my first time, I still feel a bit uncertain. Let's hope for the best.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_05_03_patterson_128kb.mp3

Thank you, this was fun and if this one is correct, I'll claim the next part as well, part 14.

Blessings
Linda
Wow, thanks again, Linda! I enjoyed listening to this. I think you have a very pleasant voice, which made it easy! :D

There are a few corrections to make, mostly spots where you accidentally substituted one word for something else that sounds similar. So you'll just need to re-record those few bits and paste them in. (It's better to record and replace the whole phrase with the error in it, rather than just the one word. That way, the edit will not be as obvious.)

7:30 The text here (p. 254) reads, "The formation of the church..." I hear, "The information of the church..." This changes the meaning and makes the sentence confusing.
8:18 The text here (p. 255) reads, "It is identity of origin, nature, mission, experiences, and destiny." I hear, "It is identity of origin, nature, mission, experiences, and density." Again, this is a different meaning.
10:44 OPTIONAL There is a tiny little hesitation here: "Ah-- one like unto a Son of Man." It should be very easy to snip out that little "Ah" so that it sounds more fluent, but you're not required to.
16:33 OPTIONAL pronunciation note (we don't require you to correct pronunciation, and the context of this one should make it understandable to those who are familar with the parable, so only change it if you want to): "Tares" is a single syllable. It ryhmes with "pairs."
16:54, 17:18, 17:28, 17:51, 21:00 OPTIONAL "Tares" again.
26:19 Text here (p. 263) reads, "For this destructive criticism while attacking the foundations of faith..." I hear, "For this destructive criticism while attracting the foundations of faith..." This changes the meaning.
39:42 This is a little nitpicky, but you only have 4 seconds of silence here at the end, and it should be 5. Can you paste in one extra second of silence here?

All in all, no, you are not doing anything massively wrong, but in fact, you're doing everything massively right! There are just a few little slips to correct, and then it'll be perfect! :D I'll start on the next one after lunch.

(Oh yes, and don't forget to change the name of the file to have the section number instead of the chapter number! :thumbs: )
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Linda777 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 1:41 am Hi,

Hope all is correct.

Blessings
Linda
Another very fine reading, Linda! Again, a few corrections to make, but nothing major. :)

3:53 A few words got mixed up here, making the sentence confusing (p. 270): Text reads, "...and can no more be converted than can the devil himself." I hear, "...and no one more can be converted than can the devil himself.`
4:49 OPTIONAL I bring this one up only because I mentioned the same word in your previous section, but again, you don't have to change it unless you want to. It's clear from context. "Tares" is pronounced to rhyme with "pairs."
5:50 Repeat to be cut: "The same agencies which we-- have prevented the whole world... The same agencies which have prevented the whole world's conversion..."
10:42, 11:20 OPTIONAL "Tares" again.
19:46 Extra word added which changes the sentence (p. 277): Text reads, "The seed Paul tells us was Christ." I hear, "The seed of Paul tells us was Christ."
34:03 OPTIONAL This is my own personal preference, but I think it's nice to leave a bit of a pause between the last words of the chapter and the closing "End of chapter 5, part 4." Probably no more than 1-1.5 seconds, but I find as a listener that a bit of a pause helps me to really absorb what has just been said, if that makes sense.
34:09 You need to leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording, and here there are only a little under two seconds.
Ares

Post by Ares »

mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:22 pm I promise that should really be everything now! :?
No problem at all! :D i think i fixed it. If there is anything more to be fixed please tell me.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_12_patterson_128kb.mp3
duration: 1:02:58

My pleasure. Cheers!.
Linda777

Post by Linda777 »

Hi again,

Thank you for the compliment, I always wonder what my voice sounds like to others because some people have such beautiful voices.

I can't believe I made so many mistakes and did not even pick them up. :shock:
Lessons learned here:
1) Don't just listen through the recording if it sounds correct, go through it while reading... Might not pick up on words that are wrong just by listening through it. It will save me and you time.
2) Not sure how to pronounce a word, Google Tares pronunciation... It will save a lot of changing afterwards.
3) CONCENTRATE while reading, those mistakes are unnecessary.
:D :D Lessons learned. Looking forward to finding the next piece to read. I see Greater Life is full :( .

Here they are:

Section 13, Chapter 5 part 3. Length: 39:54 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_13_patterson_128kb.mp3 (fixed the section number :D )
Section 14, Chapter 5 part 4. Length: 34:08 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_14_patterson_128kb.mp3

Thank you for everything I learned here and that it is a safe place to learn. I love doing book narrations.
Blessings
Linda
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ares wrote: September 4th, 2020, 1:35 am
mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:22 pm I promise that should really be everything now! :?
No problem at all! :D i think i fixed it. If there is anything more to be fixed please tell me.
duration: 1:02:58

My pleasure. Cheers!.
It's perfect now, thank you so much! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Linda777 wrote: September 4th, 2020, 5:33 am Hi again,

Thank you for the compliment, I always wonder what my voice sounds like to others because some people have such beautiful voices.

I can't believe I made so many mistakes and did not even pick them up. :shock:
Lessons learned here:
1) Don't just listen through the recording if it sounds correct, go through it while reading... Might not pick up on words that are wrong just by listening through it. It will save me and you time.
2) Not sure how to pronounce a word, Google Tares pronunciation... It will save a lot of changing afterwards.
3) CONCENTRATE while reading, those mistakes are unnecessary.
These are nice to keep in mind (especially looking up pronunciations; I do it all the time!), but don't stress about it too much. :D That's what proof listeners are for, after all. There's no rule that says good readers always get PL ok on every section, especially when you're still starting out!
:D :D Lessons learned. Looking forward to finding the next piece to read. I see Greater Life is full :( .
Actually, sections 17 and 18 are still open. They are about Christ's return. However, I see that you've also found your way over to Christ and His Friends, which is another great book, and a less formal style than this one. I think you'll enjoy it!
Here they are:

Section 13, Chapter 5 part 3. Length: 39:54 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_13_patterson_128kb.mp3 (fixed the section number :D )
Section 14, Chapter 5 part 4. Length: 34:08 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greaterlifeworkofchrist_14_patterson_128kb.mp3

Thank you for everything I learned here and that it is a safe place to learn. I love doing book narrations.
Blessings
Linda
Thanks so much for these! And I'm so happy that you feel this is a safe place. That is my goal! :9:

All these corrections are done beautifully! The one thing still not quite right is that we need to have a full five seconds of silence at the end of each recording, and these only have two or three. For section 14, I went ahead and added a couple seconds on the end myself, so it's fine now! :thumbs:

But I wanted to check with you on section 13, because there seems to be a discrepancy in the runtime. While doing my spot PLs, I noticed that the spots I pointed out had shifted about 15 seconds or so earlier in the track. :hmm: Also, the total time is actually 39:14, not 39:54, as you indicated above. Did you change anything else here? Maybe shortening pauses throughout, or even the Change Tempo effect? Everything sounded fine as far as I can tell, but I get a little nervous when I see a discrepancy like that. I want to be sure that nothing got removed inadvertently.
Linda777

Post by Linda777 »

All these corrections are done beautifully!
... Thank you
The one thing still not quite right is that we need to have a full five seconds of silence at the end of each recording, and these only have two or three. For section 14, I went ahead and added a couple seconds on the end myself, so it's fine now! :thumbs:

Thank you, I copied and pasted extra time at the end but it seems like it did not export it like that. Sorry.
Also, the total time is actually 39:14, not 39:54, as you indicated above.
Oh sorry, typo.
I noticed that the spots I pointed out had shifted about 15 seconds or so earlier in the track.
I'm not sure about the discrepancy, but I did take out some more breathing, could it be that? Or because I compressed it again after I finished with the recording. I listened to it again, I can't find anything wrong, so maybe?

Thank you
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I see. Yes, probably because you removed some of the breathing. It can sometimes add up to a surprising amount of time shaved off. (On a side note, some breathing is natural and expected. People like to know you're not a robot! :wink: )

But in future, it would be best to do any of those edits before uploading the first time. Unlikely as it may seem, there's always a risk of accidentally chopping off something that you didn't mean to, like the beginning or end of a word, and then it wouldn't be caught in a spot PL.

Would you try again to add the few seconds of ending silence to section 13? What works for me is to highlight the few seconds that you have there, copy it, and then put the cursor somewhere in that space and paste it. It's better than doing a command like Generate Silence, because absolute silence will usually sound different from the room tone under the rest of the recording.