[COMPLETE] Le Paradise Perdu de Milton (Chateaubriand) - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks for keeping your sense of humor. Sorry about advertising the secrets, but aren't they shown earlier in these conversations (I won't say where); after all, that's where I learned them.

But I will do as you say.

Before we leave this, though, I just want to say why it has caused such a problem for me. The idea of having one username and two different passwords, one for one purpose and one for another, is new to me, and I am not a total newbie. Yet in the conversations we have had, you treated it as something so familiar and obvious that you never actually said that this is what was going on. I kept assuming that there must be a new username as well as a new password, and since I thought that this was axiomatic, it took me some time to verbalize the outrageous idea that you appeared to be casually assuming.

Okay, and now to the MW! Hooray! I got in. There seems to be nothing for me to do there at the moment, but I got in. Thanks.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Tom, when it comes to automatic harvesting of logins/passwords etc. by computers, there is a difference between an image (that is what you are referring to) and plain text as in your message before.

I'm sorry I did not understand what caused your problems in the first place. Indeed, it can be very hard for somebody familiar with a system to even imagine what a newbie or less technologically affine person may have issues with, even though we have all been newbies once... I think this is why teaching is so difficult: at some point you forget the learner's point of view and can't understand what's so difficult for him...

Anyway, in the future, I would really recommend you to forget all about login/password 2). For anything that has to do with your files, whether it is uploading or putting them into the Magic Window, or setting them to spot PL needed, password 3) will do the trick. And you don't even need to logout between uploading and touching the MW any longer!

Please let me know how this is going.
I'll have to go offline for a while, but I'll check in with you later.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

All is well. Back in the saddle again. (And yes, I now see that it is an image.)

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Hi, Sonia. I have uploaded part 2 of Book 2 now. I expect there to be problems but I hope not the same kinds as before. I am aware of background noise. Pardon me for it, but there seems to be little point in deleting it when I know I will have to make corrections and redo the noise-reduction.

Tom
Last edited by chymocles on August 21st, 2016, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:Hi, Sonia. I am uploading part 2 of Book 2 now. I expect there to be problems but I hope not the same kinds as before. I am aware of background noise. Pardon me for it, but there seems to be little point in deleting it when I know I will have to make corrections and redo the noise-reduction.

Tom
I understand. You need to post the link though, otherwise I cannot download it ;)

Expect my review in the next few days...

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I was in the middle of editing the message to put in the link, and I got distracted: http://uploads.librivox.org/availle/paradisperdu_03_milton_128kb.mp3.

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:I was in the middle of editing the message to put in the link, and I got distracted: http://uploads.librivox.org/availle/paradisperdu_03_milton_128kb.mp3.

Tom
thanks I put it up in the MW. Glad to see this time it's less inhumanly long ;) better for me to concentrate if the sections are shorter. I'll probably check it tomorrow.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi again Tom

just listened to your latest section. The characterization of the persons in the direct speeches are always excellent. :9: :thumbs:

As you already told me, the whole section is definitely not loud enough. (checker only has it at about 82 dB) I had a hard time hearing out the errors, straining to listen to it.

Here is my current list of errors/suggestions:

> at the beginning you leave out 1.5 seconds, but maximum should be 1 second
> at 0:38: "la côte à main droite" - you say "côté"
> at 1:04: "Bengale" - with nasal "en"
> at 1:16: "le vaste océan" - you say "la"
> at 1:27: "le vol" - I'm not sure because it is VERY soft, but I think you did not pronounce the "L" at the end of "vol". It should be pronounced "voll" (short o, you said more "veau")
> at 2:11: "écailleux" - you say "escailleux"
> at 2:29: "un hideux fracas" - "hideux" is like "haut", no liaison
> at 3:46: "dix furies" - if a noun starting with a consonant follows you don't pronounce the "x" in "dix" (or "six" for that matter)
> at 3:59: "satan approchait" - wrong nasal liaison again ;)
> at 4:54: "de ta folie" - you said "bolie" I think
> at 5:24: "de tes armes" - you say "les", which is wrong, since then it would be "des armes" and not "de les armes"
> at 5:40: "jours éternels" - here I would make liaison
> at 7:06: "les deux combattants" - you say "ces" but this is probably trivial, if you don't want word perfect
> at 9:43: "je ne te connais pas" - you forgot to say "te"
> at 10:02: "jadis" - the "s" is pronounced "jadiss"
> at 10:06: "au milieu de leur assemblée" - I think you said "de la rassemblée"
> at 10:48: "tous les guerriers" - you say "guerrer"
> at 12:20: "je ne demeurais pas" - you forgot "ne"
> at 12:57: "devint ainsi" - I would make liaison between these words
> at 17:06: "m'en instruire" - oh I feel bad now, because actually despite the nasal sound, this takes liaison. In fact there are these small words that are exceptions, like the article "un" or the possessive pronouns "mon, ton, son" also nasal, but with liaison. Well, "en" is also one of those. I did not think about those exceptions when I told you not to liaise with nasals, sorry. :(
> at 17:18: "où vous demeurerez" - you say "demeurez"
> at 17:33: "repus" - I think you say "repis"
> at 17:50: "en apprenant"- again liaison
> at 17:57: "réservés à" - liaison sounds strange here, I wouldn't make one
> at 18:06: "et tint ce discours" - you say "et se tint"
> at 19:09: "mon auteur" - as I said above, liaison with "mon" - sorry again :(
> at 19:14: "si ce n'est à toi" - you forgot "ce" and you can make liaison with "est à"
> at 19:18: "tu me transporteras" - I think I hear "dieu" instead of "tu" but I could be mistaken, as I said, it's really not loud enough to listen comfortably
> at 21:36: "des éternelles guerres" - you say "d'éternelles" but I think we can leave that, it's the same meaning
> at 21:56: "de leurs factions" - you said "farcions"
> at 24:07: "dans la fumée" - you say "de", almost the same though
> at 26:40: "Orcus et Ades" - no liaison after "et"
> at 28:50: "ne pu fuir" - you say "ne fut puir" (this was actually funny, such inversions happen to me sometimes too)
> at 29:35: "pendent au dessus" - you say "pendant" but it's the plural verb "ils pendent" (they are hanging)
> at 30:22: "toutes parts" - you say "partes"
> at 31:56: "scintillante" - don't say the "ll" there (scin-ti-yante)
> at 32:24: "sur des vagues" - I hear "sous"
> at 32:43: "contempler de loin" - you say "au loin"

Pooh, that was all I believe. Now I need a rest.

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Many thanks, Sonia. I hope this file is loud enough. Personally, I think the upper limit permitted by the Checker program is too low; I need louder files to hear in the car, but I see that the one I sent before was way too soft, and when you add to that the noise I left in it, I wonder that you could manage at all. If such a thing ever happens again, just ask me to resend a louder file and I will—no problem.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_03_milton_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:Many thanks, Sonia. I hope this file is loud enough. Personally, I think the upper limit permitted by the Checker program is too low; I need louder files to hear in the car, but I see that the one I sent before was way too soft, and when you add to that the noise I left in it, I wonder that you could manage at all. If such a thing ever happens again, just ask me to resend a louder file and I will—no problem.
well, you mentioned you would do the volume and noise cleaning more after feedback with my errors list, so I didn't want to ask you to reupload immediately. Well, I managed, so no harm done.

I always marvel at how well you can paste in your corrections ! :thumbs:

I rechecked them all, and still found three tiny errors:

> now at the beginning you start a bit abruptly. The LV rule actually is 0.5-1 second of pause. Now I don't know how picky I should be here. If it had been the only error, I probably woudn't have mentioned it. Just maybe remember it for the next recordings.

> at 10:51: "tous les guerriers" - "guerriers" is correct now, but now that it's louder I hear "tour" (really with rolled 'r') instead of "tous" at the beginning. sorry for not picking it up before

> at 26:44: "Orcus et Ades" - you forgot to repair this wrong liaison after "et". Or did you want to leave it like that on purpose ? It's no big deal in the end after all, the "t" is spoken very softly

The rest is perfect and sounds really good

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

No sweat. I'll get to this in a few hours.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

All fixed now, Sonia. Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know what possessed me to pronounce "Orcus et Ades" as if it were Latin. Checker tells me the audio level is 91 db.

"See PL Notes" still appears for Book 1. Are we done with Book 1?

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:All fixed now, Sonia. Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know what possessed me to pronounce "Orcus et Ades" as if it were Latin. Checker tells me the audio level is 91 db.

thanks Tom ! I'll mark it now PL ok :thumbs: I still hear a bit of an 'r' in "tous" but it doesn't matter, people will understand what is meant with the overall sentence.
"See PL Notes" still appears for Book 1. Are we done with Book 1?
well I was asking you about this already in some previous posts...

I think you still wanted to check the different volume levels, because in the first chapter some Lucifer speeches were extremely loud in my ears and other narrative parts were extremely soft. You said you would check the spikes manually.

But I can also mark it PL ok if you wish. The textual errors were all corrected, it was only because of the volume adjusting that I left the "PL notes" in... If you wish me to change it, I can do so.

Something else I just noticed: you said "Chapitre 2 DE Le paradis perdu", but we agreed that it would sound better to say "chapitre 2 DU paradis perdu". I notice you have this line correct in your first post for the first chapter, but not for the subsequent chapters. Did I miss this error in your recordings :shock: If so I'm sorry. :?

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Please listen to the beginning of the third file: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_03_milton_128kb.mp3. If there is not a second before the first word and if "de Le . . ." is still there, it is not the newest file. If the test shows that the upload was successful, though, please listen again to the "too." It has no "r" that I can hear.

I also used the leveler again on all three files and got the volume to as high as possible within (somewhat relaxed) bounds. The first book should be evened out now, and "du" has been substituted for "de Le . . ." in the intros.

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:Please listen to the beginning of the third file: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_03_milton_128kb.mp3. If there is not a second before the first word and if "de Le . . ." is still there, it is not the newest file. If the test shows that the upload was successful, though, please listen again to the "too." It has no "r" that I can hear.
ok here is what I did: I downloaded the three first files once again from the MW. Results:

1) Chapter 1: PL ok now
2) Chapter 2/1: I noticed that you missed the half second of silence at the beginning as well, but I quickly fixed that myself and reuploaded the file ;) so you need not do anything there anymore. PL ok as well
3) Chapter 2/2: "du Paradis" is fixed and "tous" sounds good now. PL ok as well
I also used the leveler again on all three files and got the volume to as high as possible within (somewhat relaxed) bounds. The first book should be evened out now, and "du" has been substituted for "de Le . . ." in the intros.
For Section 2 and 3 Checker gives me 92.1 dB, but I think this is not that much higher than allowed, so reducing it once again is unnecessary. I'll mark them all PL ok

Now the MW looks very tidy :9:

Sonia