[Complete] Animals' Rights Considered in Relation to Social Progress by Henry S. Salt - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LucieLutin wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:06 pm The appendix seems to have chapters in itself, am I allowed to read those?
If you want to… it’s your project.
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Thank you!
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for, we are the change that we seek."
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: July 6th, 2023, 1:52 pm Here is Chapter 7 ready for PL! https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_07_salt_128kb.mp3
Thank you for your work. :)
It's 18 minutes long.
Hi Lucie,

Thanks. I have a few PL notes for this chapter:
  • At 0:51, you’ve repeated “is the belief that they are mere automata.”
  • At 1:32 and 1:58, there’s a strange whining noise in the background. It’s a bit distracting, especially the first one.
  • At 12:28, you read “One of the most notable and ominous features in the apologies offered by vivisection is…” But the text reads “One of the most notable and ominous features in the apologies offered for vivisection is…” I think this changes the meaning, and probably should be fixed.
  • At 14:10, the pause before the next sentence is just a touch too long. You might want to snip out half a second or so.
And that's all! I see we're going to have the appendices as well, but you've only added four of the eight parts. You and I can add lines to the Magic Window (we just can't delete them). Is the lack of extra lines why you haven't added the last four parts yet? I think if you're going to read any of them, you probably should read them all. (If you don't know how to add lines, I can do it for you.)

Cheers,
Winnifred
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Here's Chapter 7, 2.0: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_07_salt_128kb.mp3
Let me know if I should re-record parts of it that sound weird because of the add-ins, or if I need to re-record the whole chapter to avoid that, that's no issue!
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for, we are the change that we seek."
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: August 1st, 2023, 2:56 pm Here's Chapter 7, 2.0: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_07_salt_128kb.mp3
Let me know if I should re-record parts of it that sound weird because of the add-ins, or if I need to re-record the whole chapter to avoid that, that's no issue!
Thanks, Lucie. PL OK now!

While I can hear where your re-recorded bits are, they're not so different that you need to re-record. If this worries you, in future re-recordings you might consider redoing the entire sentence in these cases to minimize any differences. The natural pause between sentences means that slight changes in room echo, background noise, etc., are much less noticeable than when they're edited into the same sentence.

I don't know if you've noticed, but someone has just started recording another version of this book. I let them know that there's one nearly finished, but they said they didn't mind being the second version. Yours will likely be published first, though, given your progress so far.

Are you going to record the other four appendices? There are eight in all, but you've only added four to the Magic Window. I can help you with this if you're not sure how to add sections to the MW.

Cheers,
Winnifred
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Well considering that their reading of it is better than mine, I don't know how to feel about that 😅, I'm almost done recording it though so no point in dropping the ball now I guess. I don't think I'll read the footnotes anymore (considering that person will probably do that), if that's ok with you? I'm halfway through recording chapter 8!
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: August 1st, 2023, 5:10 pm Well considering that their reading of it is better than mine, I don't know how to feel about that 😅, I'm almost done recording it though so no point in dropping the ball now I guess. I don't think I'll read the footnotes anymore (considering that person will probably do that), if that's ok with you? I'm halfway through recording chapter 8!
I should have warned you not to go listen to it... We're always most critical of our own readings, I think. But also, the reality is that different people like different voices, so if some people like their reading more, others are going to like yours best. I may be biased, but I think you have a great voice for this book.

When you say footnotes, I assume you mean the appendices? That's ok with me, if that's what you really, really prefer, but I'd say don't do that only because there's going to be another version out there. They're not all that long, and it wouldn't take you a lot of time to record them. Why not give listeners two full versions to choose from?

I look forward to Chapter 8!

Cheers,
Winnifred
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Thank you for your kind words! You've convinced me to record the whole thing, thanks for the motivation :)
- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Here's Appendix 1 ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_09_salt_128kb.mp3

I'm probably going to get these Appendices done very soon as they take no time!
- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 8 and Appendices 1 and 2 are PL OK! You sent in the second appendix just as I was finishing Appendix 1, so that worked nicely.

Cheers,
Winnifred
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Amazing! Thank you, I'm excited to get it done!
Here's Appendix 3 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_11_salt_128kb.mp3
- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Appendices 3 and 4 are PL OK! You're really whipping through them.

Cheers,
Winnifred