[COMPLETE] A Guide Book of Art, Architecture, and Historic Interests in Pennsylvania, by A. Margaretta Archambault - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 8:15 am And yes I was wondering specifically about William Penn's hat peg. I guess if he preached there enough and commonly did that, people would know, but it also reminds me of those old roadside stands where they have the president's feather duster or whatever. Although I did work in a local museum that was somehow in possession of John Quincy Adams's bedside table....
I forgot to say that it reminds me of the saints' relics, a sliver of the shinbone of St. So-and-So, etc., or the lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/abraham-lincoln-hair#:~:text=A%20lock%20of%20President%20Abraham,has%20chosen%20to%20remain%20anonymous.

Looking forward to today's fun! (Or tomorrow's, whatever.) I always thought Wilkes-Berry too.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 9:04 am Dauphin and Luzerne Counties ready for your pleasure.

I never knew that Dauphin county should technically be pronounced like the French word dauphin; however, we all pronounce it kind of like "dolphin". Harrisburg is unfortunately not quite as nice anymore as it sounds in the book. The capitol building is awesome and I was lucky enough to go inside once while doing some political advocacy stuff, but the town as a whole is kind of dirty and falling apart.
Our mini statue of liberty just appeared on this old bridge piling in the river one day, check it out:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1103#:~:text=The%20mini-Statue%20of%20Liberty%20appears%20in%20the%20Susquehanna,while%20driving%20by%20in%20a%20bus%20or%20truck.

I am sure that my pronunciation of Wilkes-Barre will come under fire from someone somewhere, but there is no real consensus on how to say it. I feel that logically it should be like Wilkes-Bar, but I grew up saying Wilkes-Berry as do most other people in my area. "Wilkes-Barra" is also not uncommon. I also stopped at the worst Wendy's ever in Pittston once.
Secs. 21 and 23 PL OK.

I only listened to a minute of Sec. 22. There is some kind of prevalent tapping noise right from the start. These are not all of them, but the most prominent are at
:05
:08
:14
:30
:36
1:05

Sec. 23 also has some of this, but less salient. They both have some other background noise I haven't heard in your recordings before. In 23 it's not worth a PL note. Are you recording someplace different? Please listen to that beginning of 22 and let me know what you want to do.

The Statue of Liberty reminded me of one of the most famous pranks in the history of my alma mater, the U. of Wisconsin-Madison. Do a google image search for "Statue of Liberty Lake Mendota" for a view of it. It was so popular that it was made a tradition.

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 7:42 pm
tac107 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 9:04 am Dauphin and Luzerne Counties ready for your pleasure.

I never knew that Dauphin county should technically be pronounced like the French word dauphin; however, we all pronounce it kind of like "dolphin". Harrisburg is unfortunately not quite as nice anymore as it sounds in the book. The capitol building is awesome and I was lucky enough to go inside once while doing some political advocacy stuff, but the town as a whole is kind of dirty and falling apart.
Our mini statue of liberty just appeared on this old bridge piling in the river one day, check it out:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1103#:~:text=The%20mini-Statue%20of%20Liberty%20appears%20in%20the%20Susquehanna,while%20driving%20by%20in%20a%20bus%20or%20truck.

I am sure that my pronunciation of Wilkes-Barre will come under fire from someone somewhere, but there is no real consensus on how to say it. I feel that logically it should be like Wilkes-Bar, but I grew up saying Wilkes-Berry as do most other people in my area. "Wilkes-Barra" is also not uncommon. I also stopped at the worst Wendy's ever in Pittston once.
Secs. 21 and 23 PL OK.

I only listened to a minute of Sec. 22. There is some kind of prevalent tapping noise right from the start. These are not all of them, but the most prominent are at
:05
:08
:14
:30
:36
1:05

Sec. 23 also has some of this, but less salient. They both have some other background noise I haven't heard in your recordings before. In 23 it's not worth a PL note. Are you recording someplace different? Please listen to that beginning of 22 and let me know what you want to do.

The Statue of Liberty reminded me of one of the most famous pranks in the history of my alma mater, the U. of Wisconsin-Madison. Do a google image search for "Statue of Liberty Lake Mendota" for a view of it. It was so popular that it was made a tradition.
Reuploaded. Initially I thought the tapping noise might be the chain of the ceiling fan hitting the glass globe, but it sounds too deep for that. I'm not in my usual space but I am in the same place that I recorded 16-21 so I'm not sure what that sound is that it suddenly appeared. I also did 22 and 23 in the same day. I was not able to extract the one around 8 seconds but I think I removed all of the rest that you mentioned.
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

Those may be all I mentioned, but as a said, I quit listening at the 1:05 mark. What I meant was, please go through the recording and cut that noise wherever you hear it and are able, then repost it and I will PL. If it extrapolated at that rate, it would be another 30 or so taps. Listening for content and that noise at the same time means I have to stop over and over to get the time mark, figure out where I quit listening when I stopped and backed up to get the time mark, and back up and start listening again. That's too much.

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Several more sections up for PL --

Huntingdon County - surprising for how close this county is to where I grew up, we almost never went there because the layout of the mountains made it hard. I did go to some caves for school trips as a kid. Lots of limestone in the area makes them easy to stumble upon as it says in the text.

Allegheny County - I lived in Pittsburgh for four years (Pitt was my alma mater) and I was lucky enough to live within a 20 minute walk of the Carnegie Library, Museums of Art and Natural History, etc. Never knew who the bronze statues on the art museum were and now I know. Always loved the bronze doors and the entryway area. I did NOT know that the very controversial in modern times Stephen Foster statue was originally in Highland Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Foster_(sculpture) controversy here). I found it really amusing that they said 75% of the smoke in Pittsburgh has been taken care of but that you can only see the city from Mount Washington on Sundays - as bad as the air quality still is, that is DEFINITELY not a problem now. Sadly, Pittsburgh's population has never gotten back up to 500,000 after the collapse of the steel industry, or anywhere near it.

Mifflin County - haven't been here much either for the same reason as Huntingdon County. The best way is on country backroads that zigzag up and down a mountain. Oddly enough when I have been in Mifflin County I usually don't have cell phone reception, so I'm always a little curious about what people do out there.

Skipped Delaware County because I already did a long one today.

Lycoming County - did my high school here. Beautiful county but full of some of the most racist trash I have ever met in my life. The Klan was openly marching in Brandon Park, mentioned in the text, the other year. Was well-known that in Muncy and Montoursville you were not supposed to sell your home to a black person. Couldn't wait to get out of that place.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:24 am Those may be all I mentioned, but as a said, I quit listening at the 1:05 mark. What I meant was, please go through the recording and cut that noise wherever you hear it and are able, then repost it and I will PL. If it extrapolated at that rate, it would be another 30 or so taps. Listening for content and that noise at the same time means I have to stop over and over to get the time mark, figure out where I quit listening when I stopped and backed up to get the time mark, and back up and start listening again. That's too much.
Sorry, what I meant was I was not hearing any more even after that part. I will go through again with a set of different headphones though as I didn't hear them the first time and just realized that may be the problem.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Confirmed there should not be any more of those noises. Before I reuploaded I ran noise reduction on it two times and I didn't hear anything.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

15 uploaded. I think I have discovered that that weird noise is (drumroll please) the sound of my headset moving as my jaw moves. So I will be adjusting the sensitivity settings of my microphone for sure. I re-recorded this one twice, and you can still hear it a time or two near the end but I personally did not feel that it was distracting. If you think so I will give it a third try.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:43 am 15 uploaded. I think I have discovered that that weird noise is (drumroll please) the sound of my headset moving as my jaw moves. So I will be adjusting the sensitivity settings of my microphone for sure. I re-recorded this one twice, and you can still hear it a time or two near the end but I personally did not feel that it was distracting. If you think so I will give it a third try.
Thanks, I'll be doing some of your stuff today.

As for noise--one day sometime within the last month or so, I suddenly started getting this horrible low-pitched hum in my recordings, and I couldn't figure out what the **** was going on. It wasn't there all the time - it would come and go. I finally realized it was the furnace. We moved into this house last spring. Winter comes late in New Mexico, and I had never heard it before!

I now have a note in my studio (i.e., walk-in closet) to turn the heat off before I record.

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: January 6th, 2022, 11:14 am
tac107 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:43 am 15 uploaded. I think I have discovered that that weird noise is (drumroll please) the sound of my headset moving as my jaw moves. So I will be adjusting the sensitivity settings of my microphone for sure. I re-recorded this one twice, and you can still hear it a time or two near the end but I personally did not feel that it was distracting. If you think so I will give it a third try.
Thanks, I'll be doing some of your stuff today.

As for noise--one day sometime within the last month or so, I suddenly started getting this horrible low-pitched hum in my recordings, and I couldn't figure out what the **** was going on. It wasn't there all the time - it would come and go. I finally realized it was the furnace. We moved into this house last spring. Winter comes late in New Mexico, and I had never heard it before!

I now have a note in my studio (i.e., walk-in closet) to turn the heat off before I record.
Great, thanks. I think I have solved the problem by putting the headset down on the table and recording into it. I will also gladly record any of the ones after 23 that I did the other day on the headset if they have that glaring issue because noise reduction doesn't always seem to work.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:12 am
Reuploaded. Initially I thought the tapping noise might be the chain of the ceiling fan hitting the glass globe, but it sounds too deep for that. I'm not in my usual space but I am in the same place that I recorded 16-21 so I'm not sure what that sound is that it suddenly appeared. I also did 22 and 23 in the same day. I was not able to extract the one around 8 seconds but I think I removed all of the rest that you mentioned.
Sec. 22 sounds great - maybe the best sound quality I've heard in this project so far. Whatever you did, keep doing it. PL OK!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 24 PL OK

Huntingdon County - 4 min. worth of stuff to say about it. That would probably be the amount of time needed for the county I grew up in :lol:

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 25 Notes
2:03 text: analysis heard: alysis
2:12 text: 1889 heard: 1887
5:41 a pretty prominent mouth click or swallow
5:51 text: statue heard: satue
10:04 text: tints heard: tilts
10:44 tongue trip on "Ohio Streets";

There is some kind of higher-pitched faint background noise the whole way through. Maybe I have supersonic ears, because I know sometimes you can't hear what I mention. Anyway, the end listener might not notice, but I'd still want to clean it up. It can be heard in the 5 sec. silence at end, so I'd use that for noise profile and run the noise reduction on the whole file with it. I haven't heard it on other, sections, so I'm not sure what it is.

It was fun to hear about Pittsburgh. I've never gotten to spend time there because it's always airport-rental car-Dubois. Though I've spent many an evening looking at the rivers on TV since my wife is a Pirate's fan 8-)

Cheers, VERLA
tac107

Post by tac107 »

vviera wrote: January 6th, 2022, 9:03 pm Sec. 25 Notes
2:03 text: analysis heard: alysis
2:12 text: 1889 heard: 1887
5:41 a pretty prominent mouth click or swallow
5:51 text: statue heard: satue
10:04 text: tints heard: tilts
10:44 tongue trip on "Ohio Streets";

There is some kind of higher-pitched faint background noise the whole way through. Maybe I have supersonic ears, because I know sometimes you can't hear what I mention. Anyway, the end listener might not notice, but I'd still want to clean it up. It can be heard in the 5 sec. silence at end, so I'd use that for noise profile and run the noise reduction on the whole file with it. I haven't heard it on other, sections, so I'm not sure what it is.

It was fun to hear about Pittsburgh. I've never gotten to spend time there because it's always airport-rental car-Dubois. Though I've spent many an evening looking at the rivers on TV since my wife is a Pirate's fan 8-)
This is back up with everything fixed and noise reduction run on the whole file. The life of a Pirates fan is hard and I commend your wife for sticking with it. Many lesser people have been broken by the Pittsburgh Pirates' continual failure....
If she's got the time

Tatiana
vviera

Post by vviera »

tac107 wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:46 am The life of a Pirates fan is hard and I commend your wife for sticking with it. Many lesser people have been broken by the Pittsburgh Pirates' continual failure....
Fortunately, she's one of those who just enjoys watching. And she did remind me that for many years, she didn't follow them - she was off baseball all together during the Steroids Era. Also gave up the NFL (big Steelers fan as well) after the brain injury stuff became apparent, until they improved concussion protocol.

I enjoyed the Pirates not because I was even paying attention to the game, but because their announcers were so funny, win or lose. I don't know if it's the same guys now. We moved this year and decided not to bring our TV. Not that it keeps me from binging on my laptop when I'm in that kinda mood. And she has to VPN from Iceland or Sydney or something now to be able to see the NFL games since we don't have cable. Inside the U.S. (theoretically) you can't subscribe to the NFL streaming. If I remember right, she paid her subscription in Dutch kroner.

I'll get at least another little bit done for you today.

Cheers, VERLA