COMPLETE[PLAY]The Times by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:13 amMcShane act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mcshane_2.mp3
pompously played, Alan, I really like it. :thumbs: I can see there is a merciless political adversary suppressed under all the outward niceties.

PL ok

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:58 pmActually yes it is the first time that I've done anything like this. I'm hoping to sometime next year record my own audiobooks.
yes LV is a good way of practicing your narration. Of course there is the addiction factor, you may not want to leave anymore once you've started :lol:
I knew I should have double checked that line with the PDF instead of believing the HTML version...
ah it was a typo, I see. Yes I always check with the original scan, much more reliable.
and PL ok now :) thanks, Annie

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

I’d love to take Honoria, please! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. And now we are full.

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

McShane act 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mcshane_3.mp3

I tried to make this as contemptuous as I could :D
It really needs an Irish accent but I cannot do one consistently :(
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I think I have heard so many Attempted Irish (AI as opposed to RP) accents here at Librivox - including my own feeble efforts - that I wouldn't recognize a real one any more anyway.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:32 amMcShane act 3
I tried to make this as contemptuous as I could :D
it was quite dripping with contempt. Awfully well done, Alan, thank you so much. I really pity Bompas here, being blackmailed so :(

PL ok

Sonia
clionawoodbyrne

Post by clionawoodbyrne »

ToddHW wrote: December 8th, 2020, 4:43 pm
clionawoodbyrne wrote: December 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm Hi Sonia
I'll be Mrs Hooley. Section 5-8.
I've never done theatre with LibriVox so it should be fun.
Cheers
Cliona
Welcome to Drama. I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: " Mrs. Hooley, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd
Here is Act 1 which is 02:19 long https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act1_128kb.mp3
Here is Act 2 which is 03:59 long https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act2_128kb.mp3
Here is Act 3 which is 01:25 long https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act3_128kb.mp3
and
Here is Act 4 which is 01:02 long https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act4_128kb.mp3

I had such fun doing this. This was my first time doing drama. Please let me know of anything I have done incorrectly. I look forward to your feedback.
Happy New Year
Cliona
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. PL will be done and notes posted.

You got the LV Drama addiction warning, right?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

clionawoodbyrne wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:23 amI had such fun doing this. This was my first time doing drama. Please let me know of anything I have done incorrectly. I look forward to your feedback.
Cliona what a treat that was :9:

(no Todd, I forgot to mention the addiction warning, she'll be here to stay now :mrgreen: 8-) )

Wonderful performance in character, Cliona. If this was your first performance, you are quite a natural. :thumbs: You played out the emotions quite well, I loved the ohs and ahs, especially in the final act :lol: And she is veering between low-life simplicity and affected-aristocratic snobbery. Great choice.

Also loved the way you pronounced this Welsh village :shock: ever been there ?

As far as I can see, no lines missing. I'll mark Acts 1, 3 and 4 already PL ok.

One small snip to make in Act 2 though:

> at the end there is a repeat of "we're coming..." you can cut it out, or was this the version you preferred ? :hmm: In that case, please insert it at the correct spot, to make it easier for our editor to find

Other than that, I would only make one further note, which you don't have to correct for this time though, I only mention it for your dozens of future performances :mrgreen: Please leave more space between the quotes, best would be 2 or 3 seconds. Sometimes you have enough but sometimes it's more only like 1 second or even less. The reason for the long silence is that Todd has to cut each quote out and this task is made easier if there is a lot of silent fiddling space around it, so he immediately sees when a quote starts and ends. No need to reupload, for this time it's ok, just as a reminder for the future :)

Congrats on your first role, and I am hoping to hear you in many many more. (still many open plays...have a look around 8-) )

Thanks

Sonia
clionawoodbyrne

Post by clionawoodbyrne »

Kitty wrote: December 29th, 2020, 9:43 am
clionawoodbyrne wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:23 amI had such fun doing this. This was my first time doing drama. Please let me know of anything I have done incorrectly. I look forward to your feedback.
Cliona what a treat that was :9:

(no Todd, I forgot to mention the addiction warning, she'll be here to stay now :mrgreen: 8-) )

Wonderful performance in character, Cliona. If this was your first performance, you are quite a natural. :thumbs: You played out the emotions quite well, I loved the ohs and ahs, especially in the final act :lol: And she is veering between low-life simplicity and affected-aristocratic snobbery. Great choice.

Also loved the way you pronounced this Welsh village :shock: ever been there ?

As far as I can see, no lines missing. I'll mark Acts 1, 3 and 4 already PL ok.

One small snip to make in Act 2 though:

> at the end there is a repeat of "we're coming..." you can cut it out, or was this the version you preferred ? :hmm: In that case, please insert it at the correct spot, to make it easier for our editor to find

Other than that, I would only make one further note, which you don't have to correct for this time though, I only mention it for your dozens of future performances :mrgreen: Please leave more space between the quotes, best would be 2 or 3 seconds. Sometimes you have enough but sometimes it's more only like 1 second or even less. The reason for the long silence is that Todd has to cut each quote out and this task is made easier if there is a lot of silent fiddling space around it, so he immediately sees when a quote starts and ends. No need to reupload, for this time it's ok, just as a reminder for the future :)

Congrats on your first role, and I am hoping to hear you in many many more. (still many open plays...have a look around 8-) )

Thanks

Sonia
Hi Sonia
Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

See attached revised Act 2 which is 3:55 long. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act2_128kb.mp3

I look forward to hearing the completed play.

Cheers
Cliona
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

clionawoodbyrne wrote: December 30th, 2020, 3:30 am See attached revised Act 2 which is 3:55 long. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_mrshooley_act2_128kb.mp3
thank you, now definitely PL ok :)

Pinero is a treat, you'll enjoy the final assembled project. Stay bookmarked to the thread then you won't miss the opening night. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Honorable Montague Trimble awaits PL in the MW. No bwahahahas to frighten, just shaky situational ethics. Wonderful part - I should have recorded this earlier.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:19 pmThe Honorable Montague Trimble awaits PL in the MW. No bwahahahas to frighten, just shaky situational ethics. Wonderful part - I should have recorded this earlier.
it was an excellent part, such a schemer and hypocrite, I can understand why you had fun with this character. It was wonderfully entertaining, especially when he loses his suavity and glibness near the end when all his scheming unravels. :lol:

Loved it !

Acts 3 and 4 are straight PL ok.

Act 1:

> at about 6:18: (p. 39) missed line: "My dear Mrs E-B !"

Act 2:

> at 6:49: (p. 87) repetition, can be cut once: "I suggest you give instructions"

thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Trimble is repaired and ready for Spot PL. All is right with the world again.

Thanks, Todd