[COMPLETE] The Iliad - Trans into English Blank Verse - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Ah! I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. I'm Musical Director/volunteer for a kids' theater company. Tonight is our big opening night of "The Little Mermaid"! Yes, I will be uploading Book 1 tonight. Thank you everyone.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Ok! I have borrowed a USB microphone but it's not great. There's a HUGE difference!!!!! You were right. I'll send you a test.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test.mp3

Ok. Try this. It sounds really breathy but I don't kick in some breath support til halway through.... It sounds really different. way less muffled. Lots of high end. It might be really loud. Yeah! I like it. I don't know. What do you think?
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test_2.mp3

I've been trying different things with this mic and after 3 hours of trial and error, this is the best so far. :clap: I still hear a little underwater effects and also there was a ton of noise so I tried to cover it up with a tiny bit of reverb. I even tried different rooms. LOL
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

OK, still being very honest :D -- it sounds like the same mic with the same voice distortion, only with different effects added on top. Is this really a USB mic, with the flat rectangular plug that goes into the USB port? If it is, then check in your computer's Control Panel and also in Audacity to make sure the program is recognizing the correct microphone. Also plug in your mic before you open Audacity; otherwise it might still be recording through the onboard mic instead. And if this recording did come from a USB mic, could you send a raw unprocessed sample for me to check? Also -- are you listening through speakers or headphones? We might be hearing different things because of the way it's coming into our ears.

A good mic shouldn't need any processing to sound good; maybe a touch of noise cleaning if your air conditioner is running. It's kind of like adding almond extract to peach cobbler when the peaches aren't in season -- it makes it taste different but it's not nearly as nice as when you use good peaches to start with, and when you do have good peaches it's a shame to cover them up with almond. :)

edited to add: And I will reiterate that your recordings are OK for the catalog as they are; this is all just in case you want to improve your sound quality and clarify your voice a bit. No worries if you don't want to buy a new mic. :)
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

:oops:

Do'h! That last recording wsa not the right one. Sorry. ... It must have been late because I found the one I wanted to send you in the recycle bin. I rescued it and so here it is below. I am so terribly organized. sheesh... Sorry. Please keep being honest! Please, please! LOL.

Here's the raw recording that I did last night with the USB mic. I did this one in my living room and yu can hear the refrigerator in the kitchen turn off around :45 or so. :lol:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test_3.mp3
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I'm using the same headphone/mic headset to listen to it playback, though. When I run it through my regular speakers it sounds ok. I don't hear AS much distortion but I think my ear adjusts to the distortion and I "stop" hearing it. Does that make sense? :oops:
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I think the answer is a new mic.... I'm going to run to ... Staples? I think?.... and pick one up. I'll send you a test right away. This really should do the trick. I love the Peach cobbler metaphor. Ripe peaches is the goal! LOL

:lol:
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test_4.mp3

Ok. Let's try this...

I went to Wal Mart and got a HP Stereo headset. There is an automatic gain control feature.

Here's an experiment. These are all raw but amplified as far as it would go without peaking out.

1 second to 12 seconds is from the USB web-camera I tried first. You can hear the refrigerator in the background. This is from the test 3 recording.

15 secs to 46 seconds is me with the USB headset on correctly. The microphone part only goes to the middle of my cheek and just about touches it! I was surprised about that.

46 seconds to 1 min 16 sec is me wearing the headset INCORRECTLY. The mic is now 1 inch closer to my mouth and about an inch away from the side of my mouth.

1:16 to the end is me holding the headset in my hand with the mic about 4 inches away from my mouth and to the side.

:hmm:
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test_5.mp3

Ok. Here's something very interesting and maybe this is it. I kind of liked the recording from the Webcam. The first part of this recording is raw right off the bat. The second half is the same thing except run through Audacity's Noise Reduction and the Levellator and nothing else.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/illiad_quality_test_7.mp3

Ok. I've narrowed 2 good choices. The first half is the Webcam and the second is from the headset.
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hmm... before I make a judgment, I have two questions. 1) What version of Audacity are you using? (1.2 has terrible noisecleaning and can produce the effect we are hearing. The beta 1.3 or the new 2.0 version are good for noisecleaning.) 2) Could you try turning OFF your new microphone's automatic gain control -- also look in your computer and turn off any audio effects from the mic, including noise reduction or gain? Those things can alter the voice quality for the poorer for sure; they're good for gaming/skyping but not for audiobook recording.

First impression is that your voice sounds the most natural with the webcam mic before it's processed -- but it has a lot of background hiss that will need a lot of noisecleaning (lots of noisecleaning is not good for the voice). But I'd be interested to hear how the new one sounds without any mic effects, just plain recording.

My first mic was the Logitech desktop one, the one that looks like a wand. No trouble with mic position like you can have with a headset. It had a little bit of a hiss but it sounded fine. Now I use a portable recorder (because there are too many small inquisitive people in the house for me to record at the main computer :)).
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I am using Audacity 2.0. Maybe I'm using it too agressively? It has this noise gate thing that makes it absolutely silent between words. That makes it sound un-natural. Maybe much lighter use on it? Somewhere in between raw and what I have? Sound Forge might do a better job with that. I'd much rather leave a little noise than sacrifice quality for noise.

Yes I agree with you on the webcam. It sounds much more natural to me too. Do you think the levels would be ok if I just didn't use a leveller?

I'll try something and upload it to you/

A portable recorder???? Tell me more about that??
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Good news!!!!

I think I've figured this out! My computer fan is loud, my mic is crappy, this sound card is TOAST and I needed to get a new USB vocal mic. I went to my laptop and experimented with all the mics and the Webcam mike has barely ANY noise and a great level. I also recorded in my bedroom but that has a weird empty room type of echo

I plan on going to Radio Shack and buying a vocal mic which should work just fine. I can't get it til Wednesday though. When I do, I will upload something.

YAY! :clap:
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

That sounds great, I look forward to hearing it!

Yes, too much noisecleaning will make your voice sound underwater. Maybe you won't need so much of it with the new iteration. :D

The recorder I use is the Zoom H2: http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-audio-recorders/h2/
Looks as though the price has shot way up since I bought mine. There is an H1 now, and the Samson Go Mic has also had a few good reports on the forum. I don't have personal experience with either of those, but they are a lot more affordable than the H2 is nowadays so if my H2 died I'd be very tempted to try one of them.
Laurie Anne