Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kimberly, I am afraid it seems that you did not post your PL notes anywhere. I have looked through all the posts you made, and while they are all in this thread (which is great!), there is none that gives us the PL notes for chapter 6. :(

You may have forgotten to "submit" the post, maybe you opened another link in the same window? Then the posting is aborted unfortunately. Or did you simply click "Save Draft" - it's right next to the "submit" button, so... ? In this case the message can be retrieved in the "User Control Panel" - "Overview" - "Manage Drafts"

Hope this helps...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

@morrowka
The place to post them is right here. In this thread. No need to quote anything. Just hit reply and post what you think of the chapter here.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
morrowka

Post by morrowka »

Oh my goodness--Ava. And you asked me not to expect or ask for hand-holding as you are very busy moving. I'm having difficulty discerning where the "PL notes" section of the book is located within the project thread. If I know the exact words of the label of the link I'm looking for, that's all I'll need.

A very good journey to you. What an exciting adventure on which you are about to embark!

Kimberly
Kimberly Morrow
Metro Kansas City, USA
http://www.facebook.com/morrowka/
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, now I get it!

There is no "subthread" for the PL'ing - just post your notes in the end of this thread. We will find it easily this way, don't worry. And Patrick will take care of entering it in the Magic Window... :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kimberly has asked me to post the following PL notes for section 06:
1. **good**: Intro and disclaimer match instruction in the first post in the project thread.
2. **Good**: No long silences or pauses needing editing out.

3. **ERRORS!!!**: Repeat and serious stumble found: "It is these characteristics that mark. . ." The words "it is" are repeated twice in a stammer. This is approximately 5 minutes into the reading.

4. **ERROR**!!!: There is a general "hiss" in the work equivalent to recording on a standard cassette recorder. Also, it sounds as if recording was made near either a window air conditioning unit or where traffic might be located in a street below. Tolerable, but definitely far from perfect.

5. **Good**: Volume level is excellent.
6. **Good**: Correct words are used at the end of the recording.
7. **Good**: 5 seconds of silence appear at the end of the less-than-thirty-minute recording.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Okay. Thank you, both of you. I have posted the notes in the magic window.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
johntkucz

Post by johntkucz »

38:58
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/howtoappreciatemusic_03_kobbe.mp3

29:40
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/howtoappreciatemusic_12_kobbe.mp3

These were easily some of my favorite nonfiction (hard to compare fiction and nonfiction, but might have liked this even more than fiction) reading/recordings have done as librivox project. Not that this matters to the actual recording, just chatting. But enjoyed this so much because of the topic (have read up tons on biographies of baroque to modern composers and this topic is fascinating), I learned a lot (some definitely new and interesting things), the author is Incredibly intelligent and intellectual and the author's voice I can really relate to (like it's how I'd want to write or how I would write (ideally haha) if I had studied the topic of classical music for a few decades haha!). Anyways, admittedly some recordings felt like a "haul" to do but I was curious and interesting and indeed quite fascinated by most all of this material. My own preferences aside, I think projects where the reader has a keen and unique interest in the material naturally produces better recordings ('m not saying these recordings are of a certain quality just speaking in gernal) because at the very least there's natural interest in the reader, which (at least I've noticed) makes listening even more engaging and interesting!! Sweet!
  • "everything" site for past 8 years==
  • my tech site (using a pseudynm for reasons I have yet to undersand)-- (I obviously have "name" issues lol!, but love tech)
  • twitter me timbers--
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Glad you enjoyed them!
Patrick

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
xero

Post by xero »

Hi Patrick, I'm a new volunteer and want to start PLing. I love classical music and know a lot about it, and I'd like to PL this book. I'll start with one chapter, and if that goes well I'd like to be the DPL. Chapter 3 is the first one that needs to be PLed, so can I get your OK to PL that one? When I finish it I'll post again asking to be the DPL.

xero
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Go ahead. And welcome to Librivox!
Patrick

xero

Post by xero »

Hi Patrick, I finished PLing Section 3:

---The intro and disclaimer match the instructions
---There are no long silences or pauses
---Two stumbles are noted below
---There is no background noise
---The recording volume is OK
--- He says the proper words at the end of the section
--- At the end there are 8 seconds of silence, not the required
10 seconds for a section that is over 30 minutes long.

I have a few comments about things the reader does which make him hard to understand. His reading speed is amazingly inconsistent. He'll read at a moderate pace for 10 words, then take off like lightning for 4 words, then slow to a crawl for 2 words and then shoot away like a rabbit. When reading at a slow or medium pace he sounds great, but when he reads at breakneck speed he skips words, runs words together and speaks words unintelligibly. I followed along with him using the link to the Gutenburg book provided on the project thread page.

Here are the problems I noticed:

00:13- says his own name so fast it is unintelligible
00:41- says "great" but the book says "greatest"
01:39- skips the word "a"
01:45- says "an" but the book says "any"
04:59- says "wielding" but the book says "welding"
05:01- skips the word "each"
05:12- "certain" is unintelligible
05:17- mispronounces "gavotte" and "gigue." At later points
he mispronounces Schubert, Chopin, Domenico,
Froberger, Liszt and Orlando Lassus.
05:56- says "Bach" but the book says "Beethoven"
05:58- says "categorize" but the book says "characterize"
07:10- "see" is unintelligible
07:17- "the" is unintelligible
07:36- "it is" is unintelligible
09:08- "the" is unintelligible
09:17- "the" is unintelligible
09:49- skips over 12 words that are in the book between
"England" and "requires" It should read- "...England had its Gibbons and other Madrigal composers. Their music was vocal and requires..."
11:52- "combination in" is unintelligible
13:02- skips "with"
14:09- says "in" but the book says "on"
14:22- says "thus" but the book says "this"
14:28- says "in" but the book says "on"
14:34- "Scarlatti" is unintelligible
15:55- "characteristic" is unintelligible
20:55- skips "in"
21:20- stumbles on "innovator"
21:35- "in" is unintelligible
21:41- stumbles on "similar"
21:45- says "Strauss's" but the book says "Strauss"
26:10- "instead" is unintelligible
26:40- "developments" is unintelligible
27:27- says "faculties" but the book has "facilities"
28:16- says "faculty" but the book has "facility"
28:46- adds the words "a man" which aren't in the book
29:31- says "his" but the book has "this"
30:18- skips "and"
30:27- "together" is unintelligible
31:14- says "on" but the book says "in"
32:12- skips "in"
32:53- skips "in"
34:31- skips "a"
35:15- "explanation" is unintelligible
35:29- skips "had"
38:43- his name is unintelligible again

He often pauses for a fraction of a second before unusual words and names, like he is thinking of how to pronounce them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't readers work out pronounciations before recording so their reading goes smoothly?

There are many obvious edits between sentences, where he probably stopped recording to correct an error and then started recording again. The last word of a sentence and the first word of the next sentence get run together so they sound like one word, and the first word of that next sentence is usually at a different volume. You can hear examples at 07:17, 08:07, 14:34 and 15:28.

I love classical music and would like to be DPL for this book if that's OK with you. I know that I'm nit-picky, but this reader is probably the most inaccurate I've ever heard, so that's why this report is so long. I'm sure that my future reports will be much shorter, and they won't take me so long to do.

xero
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thank you for that. It is much appreciated. Sounds like this section might need to be re-recorded. Just so you know though. You are not required to make sure that the section is word perfect. You are most welcome to though, I know how hard it is and don't like to make my Proof Listeners do it.
Thank you for volunteering to be DPL. Availle will have to put you in the window, I'll let her know.
Patrick

Latimer

Post by Latimer »

Hi

Uploading Chapter 08 (With Paderewski - A Modern Pianist on Tour) -

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/howtoappreciatemusic_08_kobbe.mp3

Duration - 17:41

It was quite a struggle for me but a good length for a second attempt, I suppose. I think I'm getting to grips with Audacity.
I listened to Kara's chapter as soon as it was available - what a treat! :clap: The audible music makes our book better than the original!

I've discovered a mistake in the other chapter I recorded. When I've corrected it, can I just re-upload it in the same way as the first attempt?

Regards
Dick Summerfield