COMPLETE: Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen - AF/kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kri

Post by kri »

OK, so I was wondering how Northanger is pronounced. Does the g sound as it does in hanger, or manger.
kayray

Post by kayray »

kri wrote:OK, so I was wondering how Northanger is pronounced. Does the g sound as it does in hanger, or manger.
I pronounced it like "hanger" (not anger or manger) -- but I'm no authority. Take a listen to some of the other readers to see what they did... and don't worry about it too much, there's always going to be some variation among readers.

Have fun!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Some of the variations can actually be quite charming. When I was listening to Treasure Island, I counted four tunes to which "Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum" were sung. Oddly not one of them was the tune I heard in my own head when those words came to mind.

I really liked it. Each person brought something of themselves to the reading.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

I intuitively pronounced it like manger, but now that I've listened to a few others, the ones that sound more like hanger sound better.

Thanks for the help :)
kri

Post by kri »

OK, this should be the clean and finished version, id3 tags and all.

http://www.greenkri.com/librivox/northangerabbey_15_austen.mp3

It's kind of wierd, but I've always hated my voice; recording this and having to repeatedly listen to it has made my hate for it a bit less.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Thank you Kri, downloading now. (later -- listening now, it sounds GREAT! Would you like to claim another chapter? :)

What name would you like me to use for you on the catalog page, and do you have a personal url? (greenkri.com, I suppose?)

I hated my voice for *years* but got over it eventually, after making lots and lots of homemade audiobooks for my son. I kinda like listening to myself now :)

Have fun with your next recording!

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kri

Post by kri »

I've taken on a chapter of The Prince, but I just have editing to do now so I could probably take on another chapter....Let's just make this easy and sequential, 16 seems unclaimed as of yet so I'll take that one.

Why don't you just use my full name Kristin Luoma on the catalog. Greenkri.com is right :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

great, 16 is yours kri :)
Kara
--------
kri

Post by kri »

Done, done done. I'm not so happy with this one, because I didn't realize until I'd finished that the mic was too close to my mouth making that poof sound. It's not so bad to really worry about or re-record I think, but I just don't like it.

Anyways, Here you are!

http://www.greenkri.com/librivox/northangerabbey_16_austen.mp3
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

kayray wrote:Chapter 19 is yours, nocturna!

One hint which we really MUST mention in the recording notes is to please listen back to your recording through headphones when you're done, to check for appropriate volume (should be nice and loud) and peculiar background hum, or whatever. (gonna go add that tip right now, as a matter of fact)

Have fun reading and do let us know if you have any questions!

Kara
Kara,

As this is my first recording, I want to make sure the quality is very good. As it turns out, I need an adaptor for my laptop to accept microphones, so I'm hoping I will get it in time for your February deadline. My test recording wasn't loud enough and had distracting background noise, so this must be remedied before I can submit anything. If you need to give it to someone else, I understand. I will keep you posted on the status.
Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop. — H.L. Mencken
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, nocturna!
nocturna wrote:As it turns out, I need an adaptor for my laptop to accept microphones
If your laptop has a USB connection, you might consider getting a USB microphone. They sound excellent, and since they connect directly to the front end bus, there's no electrical hum in them at all. They're even fairly cheap.

I found quite a nice Logitech USB Headset with a boom mic in WalMart for thirty bucks. I discussed it in this thread:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663

If you read the thread, you'll notice that if you hunt around you can actually find the thing for under twenty bucks.

Incidentally, if you're reading on your laptop you should make certain that your batteries are fully charged or that you're plugged into a wall socket. Few things are more frustrating than to have the computer die just before you reach the end of a long reading - you'll lose the whole thing if it's not saved and have to start fresh :cry:
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

ChipDoc wrote:Welcome to LibriVox, nocturna!
nocturna wrote:As it turns out, I need an adaptor for my laptop to accept microphones
If your laptop has a USB connection, you might consider getting a USB microphone. They sound excellent, and since they connect directly to the front end bus, there's no electrical hum in them at all. They're even fairly cheap.

I found quite a nice Logitech USB Headset with a boom mic in WalMart for thirty bucks. I discussed it in this thread:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663

If you read the thread, you'll notice that if you hunt around you can actually find the thing for under twenty bucks.

Incidentally, if you're reading on your laptop you should make certain that your batteries are fully charged or that you're plugged into a wall socket. Few things are more frustrating than to have the computer die just before you reach the end of a long reading - you'll lose the whole thing if it's not saved and have to start fresh :cry:
Oh, I have a fabulous mic and also two headsets with mics, but unfortunately my Powerbook requires an adaptor to accept microphones. I've got one on order.

Chip, thanks for the tip. Do you speak from experience?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

nocturna wrote:Chip, thanks for the tip. Do you speak from experience?
Sadly yes... Though I only discovered LibriVox this week, I've been reading aloud in one format or another for over 40 years. For a while, I even did it for a living before coming to my senses and getting a "real" job :wink:

Manys the time that I've had to redo readings because of technical glitches like that, so I figured that it was worthwhile warning you of it so you might learn from my experience rather than your own...
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Nocturna -- thanks for keeping me posted. Don't worry -- our "deadlines" are extremely flexible. If you just check in with me from time to time, and I know you haven't lost interest, your chapter remains YOUR chapter :)

No stress!

I had very bad luck with an (admittedly cheap) line-in mic, and very good luck with my USB mic. So, keep that in mind...

Have fun,

Kara
Kara
--------
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

kayray wrote:Nocturna -- thanks for keeping me posted. Don't worry -- our "deadlines" are extremely flexible. If you just check in with me from time to time, and I know you haven't lost interest, your chapter remains YOUR chapter :)

No stress!

I had very bad luck with an (admittedly cheap) line-in mic, and very good luck with my USB mic. So, keep that in mind...

Have fun,

Kara
Kara,

Thanks for the tip! Here's what I ordered:

http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.334/it.A/id.1896/.f

I love that it snakes around and is positionable. I'll let you know how it goes...

Amanda