Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Jc

Post by Jc »

oooh! thanks!!

I've got another problem now: the bottom of my work curls upwards. is it because I've started too tight?
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Not necessarily, certain stitch patterns tend to curl. You fix that at the end when you block the garment.
Karen S.
Jc

Post by Jc »

How would you "block" ?

Waaah!!! Now, not only does it curl at the bottom (curls toward the front) it now curls toward the back on the sides!! Am I doing something wrong?
kayray

Post by kayray »

JC, that's completely normal!

Basic knitted fabric, the kind that you think of when you think of "knitting", that is, little "v"s on the front and little bumps on the back, is called "stockinette". Every stitch is a little bit shorter and wider on the front side of the fabric than on the back, the the fabric wants to curl. You can't fix this entirely with blocking. The fabric will always tend to curl.

Most knitting patterns deal with the curl by using a stitch pattern at the edges that doesn't curl. A more even mix of knit and purl stitches (on the front of the fabric) will balance out the inequality and give you a fabric that doesn't curl.

Garter stitch, for instance, or ribbing, or moss stitch, or seed stitch, or basket weave... the possibilities are endless.

You need a good book. I suggest Knitting Without Tears, by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Any good library should have it and it's still in print and not expensive. She'll explain everything :)

Blocking is the process of wetting your finished knitting and patting or pinning it into shape to dry. It evens out everything and makes it look nice, but it is not a cure-all. There are many right ways (and wrong ways) to do this. Elizabeth Zimmermann will tell you everything you need to know.
Last edited by kayray on November 12th, 2007, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
smijen

Post by smijen »

There's a great article on blocking here: http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

You are probably not doing anything wrong. As gypsygirl says, some stitches tend to curl. Garter stitch (all plain knitting) does not curl because all of the stitches are the same. But knit and purl stitches are different sizes, so if you're doing stocking stitch (knit a row, purl a row), it'll always curl toward the knit side. Blocking doesn't totally fix this. That's why most sweaters have ribbing across the bottom - the alternating knit and purl makes a nice elastic-y bit that doesn't curl.

EDIT: :lol: Obviously Kara and I live in the same time zone - we're always cross-posting. Hopefully 2 ways of saying the same thing will help you, Jc!
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

Hi, I am new here and found KNITTING. What a pleasant suprise! I hope to get to know all of you and I am trying to figure out how this whole thing works. I have wanted to read books for a long time. So this is really a nice outlet for that desire.

And I love needle projects. I learned to make bobbin Lace while living in England. I am from usa. I Crochet, knit and Tat. I give lessons in Crochet and would love to teach others to tat.

Jeanne
tardistraveller

Post by tardistraveller »

tardistraveller wrote:
My current project, though, is certain to be a masterpiece (modest I am!): a Doctor Who scarf that will be my friend's Christmas present.
The Scarf is done!!!!! Just finished it this evening. Had to share. :D

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-- Cicero
Jc

Post by Jc »

gor-geous!

I'm still struggling with my piece, trying to make everything fit.
(man, knitting is addictive!)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I love it tardistraveller!! :thumbs:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
tardistraveller

Post by tardistraveller »

Thanks, Starlite! I'm quite envious of my friend now, actually, because this scarf is truly awesome. Guess I'll have to buy more yarn and make one for me! :mrgreen:
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-- Cicero
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hear ye! Hear ye!
For one week only, we have a special fiber-y related poetry project... come record your version of Saint Distaffs day, or the morrow after Twelfth day by Robert Herrick in honor of our craft:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11993
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
mlemmons

Post by mlemmons »

I have been inspired by this thread to pull out my knitting again, which I haven't touched in close to a year. I am currently working on a hat from the book "Knitting from Nature" by Norah Gaughn. This is one of the most interesting knitting books I have ever seen. The patterns are very pretty and interesting to knit, but what really intrigues me is how the designs are inspired by mathematical patterns in nature, such as phylotaxis (the opposing spirals that you see on a pine cone or the middle of a sunflower) and hexagons and wave patterns. This appeals to my mathematics side (I am a math teacher) and my creative side (I'm also have a theatre minor and love all sorts of fiber arts and hope to do fashion design someday...)

Anyway, hope that I can get a picture posted soon of the hat. I am really excited with how it is turning out.

Melissa
Jc

Post by Jc »

How long does it take you ladies to knit something? It's taking me ages! I have just finished to knit myself a turtleneck, (after un-doing it 4 times to fix something) (AND the neck isn't long enough to I'll have to fix that too) and it took me forever!

I've timed myself, and it takes me about 2 minutes to do a single row (48 knots or stitches, I don't know what the technical term is).
mlemmons

Post by mlemmons »

Jc wrote:How long does it take you ladies to knit something? It's taking me ages! I have just finished to knit myself a turtleneck, (after un-doing it 4 times to fix something) (AND the neck isn't long enough to I'll have to fix that too) and it took me forever!

I've timed myself, and it takes me about 2 minutes to do a single row (48 knots or stitches, I don't know what the technical term is).
You will get faster with practice. Also, if your stitches are tight it will take longer to knit, as it is harder to insert the right hand needle into the stitches. The complexity of the pattern that you are knitting will make a difference as well. A row of stockinette stitch will proceed much more quickly than a row of a lace stitch. For comparison, I just did a row of 72 stitches of 6x1 rib (k6, p1) in just over 2 minutes. Hope that helps. Have patience, your work will become more smooth and quick as you keep working.

I had the hardest time when I first started knitting, because I had learned to crochet first and the different hand positions and yarn tension threw me off. It would take ages to complete a row. But now I can knit much more easily.

And the correct term is stitches.

Happy knitting,

Melissa