Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mcrandall

Post by mcrandall »

*sigh*

I love to peruse shawl patterns, and imagine myself knitting them...and then the dream fades. What the heck would I do with a shawl besides keep hitching it around my shoulders probably ending up in a fit of frustration with it tied around my waist making me look even bulkier than I already am?!

:) I'll just keep ogling the patterns...

-Michelle
My first novella is NOW available!
https://www.amazon.com/Souls-Fire-Memoirs-Flame-Journey-ebook/dp/B088P5LSVB
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I crocheted a shawl that I wore as a wrap on my wedding day... we were outside for a little while but I ended up being so warm I didn't need it at all... the pattern was called "Elegant Shawl" from Lion Brand ... I'd paste the link, but they have it set up where you have to log in to view the free patterns... I wouldn't exactly call it elegant since it's made out of that bulky "Homespun" yarn... but it served the purpose and I've worn it a few times to work since then...

I also knitted the Dropped Stitch Shawl with Twist at Knit Picks for a friend, but I do not know how much she wears it, though she did say that she got a lot of compliments on it when she did wear it... but she's also the kind of person who would get compliments if she were wearing a garbage sack for a dress.

I've started other shawl like projects, but I usually get bored with them and don't finish...
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
BoltofTash

Post by BoltofTash »

I just made Bob & Weave from Knitty, which is sort of a shawl but really a wrap, I guess. At first I couldn't imagine wearing anything so blanket-like, but now that it's finished, I find myself throwing it on constantly -- it's nice for a just-in-case extra, and it's made of brushed silk, so I can't stop touching it.

I just got Jane Sowerby's Victorian Lace Today, though (has anyone else looked through this? It's amazing!), so now I'm contemplating a really shawl-y looking shawl.

... also, hi! I'm new, but I had no idea there were so many other knitters! I'm waiting purplefacedly for my Ravelry invite, but as soon as I'm in, I'll mosey over to the LibriVox group.
mcrandall

Post by mcrandall »

BoltofTash wrote:I just got Jane Sowerby's Victorian Lace Today, though (has anyone else looked through this? It's amazing!), so now I'm contemplating a really shawl-y looking shawl.
Welcome! I REALLY want Victorian Lace Today...I stood for about an hour going over it at Stitches West last February. What amazing patterns. Maybe I would consider wearing one of those shawls. More likely I'd knit one and just look at it forever!

I have my Ravelry account and have been SO SLOW to set it up. I am a shame-faced slacker. I hope to get some stuff done with it in August and definitely in September when I am on maternity leave, pre-birth.

-Michelle
My first novella is NOW available!
https://www.amazon.com/Souls-Fire-Memoirs-Flame-Journey-ebook/dp/B088P5LSVB
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Ooh, that does look an interesting book. I'm starting to drool.

Welcome BoltofTash - I'm sorry, but the name makes me giggle - "The bolt of Tash falls from above!" "Does it ever get caught on a hook on the way down?" :)
Karen S.
kri

Post by kri »

I have a warm thick shawl which I wear in the winter when I'm cold. I plan to knit more decorative shawls, even though it's not really in my style. I'm going to MAKE it my style. Get a shawl pin or brooch, or tie it around my waist. Whatever I need to do!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Ravelry now has a "check where I am in line for an invite" feature:
http://www.ravelry.com/antsy/

*grins* Looks like I have a while to wait still...
ravelry.com wrote: * You signed up on June 26, 2007
* You are #11161 on the list.
* 3488 people are ahead of you in line.
* 11244 people are behind you in line.
* 33% of the list has been invited so far
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Over 14,000 in the Ravelry line?!? Holy mazoley!

Thanks to Ravely and the fact that I live in Beantown, I've been going to knitting group with Jess and Casey (the guys behind the whole thing) but they never mentioned that the line was FOURTEEN THOUSAND STRONG!!!

Geez!

As for a shawl, I don't wear 'em (as I am uno hombre con frijoles refritos) but I'm rocking out on the Azalea pattern for Marianne Kinzel's First Book of Lace Knitting. Yeah, the pattern's for an oversized doily, but instead of cotton crochet thread, I'm working with variegated green laceweight merino. Slow going, but awesome.

I am also fortunate enough to be with a girl who looooooooves shawls!

I am unfortunate enough to happily step into a project that will take up the next 7 months of my life.

That said, if you're on The Rav, or will be eventually, drop a line to BlackSheep, cuz that's me!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Giacomo07

Post by Giacomo07 »

I have been wanting to learn how to knit for a long time. My mother knows how but doesn't have the time and refuses to teach me.

I also work with children who have mental illness and a few of them would love to learn how to knit and crochet to use as coping skills for their diagnosis and anger.

Anyway...do you know a good website for beginners with videos and directions? If anyone does, I would love to learn about it and check it out.

Thanks! :D
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

There are loads of sites - just google 'learn knit' or 'knit instruction' or something. There are two different styles, continental knitting and the other - not sure what it's called - they have different advantages, but I use the continental style and so obviously that one is far superior. ;)

Pick an easy first project - scarves are popular, or hats, or socks.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Help! :( The pattern I'm working on tells me to cast on 7 sts, and then Row 1 (RS): sl 1, K6.

I understand that sl 1 means slip one stitch, but when I put it onto the other needle and then go to knit the next stitch but the bit just unravels. Does anyone have any tips?
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Rowen wrote:Help! :( The pattern I'm working on tells me to cast on 7 sts, and then Row 1 (RS): sl 1, K6.

I understand that sl 1 means slip one stitch, but when I put it onto the other needle and then go to knit the next stitch but the bit just unravels. Does anyone have any tips?
Huh - how weird. How do you slip? Hard to comment without seeing it, but... to slip, you just pick up the stitch like you would to knit/purl it (uhm, I'm talking continental knitting - no idea how to do it in the other way). But instead of knitting/purling, you just leave the stitch on the other needle. So if you have a stitch that you would normally purl, you put the right-hand needle into the stitch from the right, and just pull the stitch from the left to the right needle like that. Then you just knit/purl the other 6 stitches. When you come to the next row, knitting/purling the slipped stitch will be a bit funny because it's not a proper stitch, but treat it as though it were one.

Sorry, does this make sense?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Thanks Gesine :) that is what I understood from slipping stitches, and its what I'm attempting to do but I must be missing something. :(

I'm knitting the English way, (the opposite way to continental) so I'm putting the needle into the stitch as if I would knit it, and am transferring it to the other needle, then I go to knit the next stitch, but when I wrap the wool around the needle, because of how the wool is wrapped around (?) it just causes the slipped stitch to fall off the needle so I'm left with one less stitch(it unravels). (Does that make sense? I have no idea how else to describe it :( )

Edit: Ahh Kara has explained all, so my knitting can now progress, thanks Kara. :)
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Rowen,
It's not your style - it's your cast-on! I'm also an English style knitter, and I couldn't see what the problem was. I actually made hubby shoot a video to show you... then I thought maybe you were using a different cast-on method, so tried a 2-needle cast-on and -bam- it fell off the needle.

Do you know how to do a long-tail cast-on? If not, check here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

Do it with a long-tail cast-on and it will definitely work. If you still can't get it, let me know and I'll post my video somewhere.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Oh, didn't see your edit (since I was off shooting videos!). Did Kara's explanation agree?
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.