COMPLETE: Ulysses, by James Joyce (special rules) - AF/hu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

magnifico... press releases sent to:
CBC, NPR, BBC, ARN, NY Times, UK Guardian, Globe&Mail, Irish Times, RTE, and a few others I can't think of.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

WOW We will have to keep an eye on the papers. You guys are all so amazing. I am glad this is done. My very very first recording is buried in there somewhere. :P (Anita knows where :wink: )

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

fyi (and I DON'T WANT TO HEAR about any spelling/grammar mistakes) press release sent to CBC, NPR, BBC, NY Times, UK Guardian, Globe&Mail, Irish Times, RTE, ARN and some others:
LibriVox Releases Free Audiobook of James Joyce's Ulysses
in celebration of Bloomsday, 2007

LibriVox.org, an online volunteer project with an objective of recording all public domain books into audio, will release a free audio version of James Joyce's Ulysses, in time for Bloomsday, June 16, 2007.

The Internet, June 15, 2007
– In celebration of Bloomsday, LibriVox.org has released an unabridged audio version of James Joyce's Ulysses. As with all LibriVox recordings, the audio is in the public domain, and available for anyone to download for free in mp3 and ogg vorbis format.

The work comprises more than 32 hours of audio, and the project took a
year-and-a-half to complete, with scores of volunteer participants. Started in November 2005, it is one of LibriVox's longest-running projects, and is also the longest text we have recorded.

The LibriVox Ulysses project had a few special rules: readers were encouraged to read in groups, in public places, and no editing was required. And yet some of the sections (notably, sections 15 and 18 ) have been done with extraordinary attention to detail and creativity. The audiobook can be downloaded here:
http://librivox.org/ulysses-by-james-joyce/

Bloomsday also sees the release of another Joyce novel, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which can be found at:
http://librivox.org/a-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-young-man-by-james-joyce/

There is some rumbling within the LibriVox community about trying to produce a new audio version of Ulysses every two years.

About LibriVox.org:

LibriVox is an open, international volunteer project with the objective of making all public domain books available as free audio books. We have a catalog of 685 works, in sixteen languages. Listeners can listen on the computers, or using portable media devices such as ipods. We are a totally volunteer, open source, free content, public domain project. We host our files at the Internet Archive (archive.org) and ibiblio.org, and get the majority of our texts from Project Gutenberg (gutenberg.org).

etc.
###
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thats awsome Hugh! :thumbs: I wonder how many hits it will get in one day?

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Wonderful to have this completed, and perfect timing!

Anita especially deserves a nice drop of something this evening, and all her thanks above are clearly deeply felt. Well done all!

I'll keep my eye on the press here....
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

feel free to spread in your local papers etc as well.
kayray

Post by kayray »

did you do boingboing hugh?
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

boing boing goes without saying ;)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Wow, Hugh, way to spread the word!
With a blind eye to typos, I would suggest that whenever you have a chance to be more specific, it's the last two hours of 15 that have the extraordinary collaborative creativity.
And yet some of the sections (notably, sections 15 and 18 ) have been done with extraordinary attention to detail and creativity.
Sadly, the first few hours are just me reading hastily, then an hilarious interlude with Caet and Max reading Bello and Bloom in the vigorously vivid dominatrix scene, and then the two hours of ensemble amazingness to finish out the section.

So whenever you do have the opportunity, please point folks to the last two segments of 15 (or last two hours), lest they particularly criticize my recording for its distinct lack of attention to detail.
Anita
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Just have found out that Ulysses were complete and got cataloged!
Congratulations!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
You completed such a herculean task!
As a student majoring in English literature, I always wanted to read this masterpiece in its entirety, but I couldn't manage to read a chapter because it was so boring. All professors in our English department recommended this novel as a must-read work, but I couldn't dare to start reading it. Now I can listen to the piece while following along the text and I think I will read it with a new perspective. Looking forward to download all files and start listening to them. Many students majoring in English and professors who teaches English literature will love this recording.
Anyway, congratulations again for completing the recording!
And happy birthday, Hugh!
The Librivox version of Ulysses will be a great birthday present for you, I think.
:birthday:
Thank you for the great work!
It is June 16, 3:30 in the morning. It is already Bloomsday here in Korea.
Happy Bloomsday!!!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Happy almost-Bloomsday to you all! I am so excited I can't even think. I think Chapter 7 was one of my first recordings as well. :D Back when I thought deadlines meant something...how naive I was. ;)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Anita compiled the list of readers and editors for 15f and 15g. I've added them to the admin and to the catalogue page - pl have a look.

Kirsten, pl add Max's last name.

Thanks!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Gesine wrote:Anita compiled the list of readers and editors for 15f and 15g. I've added them to the admin and to the catalogue page - pl have a look.

Kirsten, pl add Max's last name.

Thanks!
It looks Great, Gesine!
A few other chapters need a list of readers, too -- a pub reading or two, and the chorus of voices for the phenomenal section 18. Perhaps those section directors can supply names.
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Gesine wrote: Kirsten, pl add Max's last name.
Max's forum name is moox_deadeye
but he doesn't seem to have a catalog name or url entered yet.

Leaving that to Caet, then. :)
Anita
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Will do.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland