COMPLETE - DRAMA: The Letter by W. Somerset Maugham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thanks, Brian
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

So nice to meet John Withers. Now when I think of an ADO in the colonial service he'll come to mind.

Hey, I got interested in what exactly one did in one's role has an ADO. Wikipedia tells me that in due course an able ADO might rise to the rank of District Commissioner in the mold of "Sanders of the River", a book by Edgar Wallace. I see a number of Edgar Wallace books in the LV catalog, but not that particular one. It's at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35545 and I am of the opinion that you'd make a fine DC unless, of course, you've set your sights higher and aspire to be Colonial Governor!

Seriously, I really enjoyed your read of Withers. I believe I'd only heard you read German naval officers in Gun Running for Casement and as much as I liked those characterizations I do believe I like Withers a bit more.

Now for the nit picking ...

PL Notes Act 1
  • (00:19) "Thank the Lord for that." [I don't hear the word "the".]
  • (00:59) "She wouldn’t see me till you came." [until/til: corrected by reread at around 1:02; I think you meant to delete the line at around 00:59 but forgot to do so.]
  • (06:38) "I was very much impressed by the way in which she told that terrible story." [I don't hear the word "much"]
  • (07:54) "He was the sort of chap you couldn’t help liking." [I hear "man" not "chap"]
PL Note Act 3
  • (00:01) "I must say it does look a bit dreary." [I hear "little" not "bit"]
Thank you.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Withers is mike-less this week and next - a sudden swing arm boom failure.... But he will be back at the studio recording once he finishes his territorial rounds.

Thanks, Todd

(If you've only heard my Withers and Casement, you've missed 748 of my Librivox project recordings. Something to do when you have some time on your hands - such as while waiting for Withers to return to the mike.)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AHend

Post by AHend »

Hi Brian! I can do Dorothy Joyce and/or Mrs. Parker...probably. what accents do you think they are? It seems Mrs Joyce is English perhaps (which I can). Not sure bout Mrs Parker. They are in one of the Asian countries, yes? Do I understand that correctly. So I'm not sure what Mrs Parker would sound like. Let me know your thoughts.
AHend

Post by AHend »

AHend wrote: July 26th, 2023, 2:09 pm Hi Brian! I can do Dorothy Joyce and/or Mrs. Parker...probably. what accents do you think they are? It seems Mrs Joyce is English perhaps (which I can). Not sure bout Mrs Parker. They are in one of the Asian countries, yes? Do I understand that correctly. So I'm not sure what Mrs Parker would sound like. Let me know your thoughts.
Haha so I just went back to look over it again. I guess they are both English living in China. Do you want me to do both? If not I will do whichever one you desire me to do. :)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AHend wrote: July 26th, 2023, 2:41 pm
AHend wrote: July 26th, 2023, 2:09 pm Hi Brian! I can do Dorothy Joyce and/or Mrs. Parker...probably. what accents do you think they are? It seems Mrs Joyce is English perhaps (which I can). Not sure bout Mrs Parker. They are in one of the Asian countries, yes? Do I understand that correctly. So I'm not sure what Mrs Parker would sound like. Let me know your thoughts.
Haha so I just went back to look over it again. I guess they are both English living in China. Do you want me to do both? If not I will do whichever one you desire me to do. :)
Gimme 5 please. In middle of early reply. I just don't know how to be succinct. :oops: Short version is that you are welcome to both!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

:clap: That's the spirit!

I don't know the exact borders of "British Malaysia" of roughly 100 years ago. But that's really where the story is set. Singapore is just off the tip of the Malaysian peninsula and I think it was the seat of British administrative rule over what was know as British Malaysia. The history I see says that Portugal was the first European power to conquer Malaysia and through a series of European conflicts and settlements it came under the rule of the Dutch and eventually the British. I suppose that there were Malays throughout that few hundreds of years who wanted to free themselves of foreign rule. Japan invaded during World War II and with that wars end Malaysia became independent and the pre-war British possessions there, with the exception of Singapore, achieved self-rule. Singapore, of course, became its own country, essentially a city state, I suppose.

The murder takes place on a plantation outside of Singapore, but the trial takes place in that city.

I think you are exactly right to hone in on class distinctions. At least as far as I'm concerned its at the center of this drama. Would Leslie Crosbie have murdered her lover Geoff just for having jilted him? Maybe. But I suppose she's especially enraged by the fact that he throws her over for an ethnic Chinese woman whom Leslie considers "beneath" her in so many ways as older and less attractive than she, less "refined", of lower socioeconomic standing, etc. I can imagine that for Leslie that would be especially galling in adding grave insult to injury. Plus the affair itself probably was an "escape" for her, from her loneliness and isolation from the social hub in Singapore; even if it would never have been anything more than an affair.

But it's not like Leslie is at the top of the English expat society. I think it's clear that Mrs. Joyce sees herself perhaps "a cut above'. I'm not claiming to be an expert and definitely not an insider but I've always supposed that the English of the era during which the story is set were a class conscious society. Dorothy socializes with Leslie but I do see her as someone who might rub it in a little. I mean, she lives in Singapore at the center of things (though certainly not the same as high society in London, but still). Leslie's married to a plantation manager working for a London based firm, while Dorothy is married to a successive lawyer at the head of a firm. Dorothy name drops attending parties with highly placed colonial administrators, etc.

Then there is Mrs. Parker who is a gaol house matron. Probably considered somewhat higher in terms of social status (by other class conscious English ex-pats) than the ethnic Malays and Chines but, really, by how much? I mean she probably simply has to work for a living, of all things. And, she's "rubbing elbows" with criminals for goodness' sake!

I tend to think of Dorothy Joyce as a bit of a social climbers who possibly needs to reassure herself that she's arrived to whatever degree one could arrive in a British Colony. Mrs. Parker is willing to accept her lot. I mean, Mrs. Parker seems somehow rewarded that a personage of even Leslie's standing treats her decently, and is making her a lace collar (God knows where or when she'd wear such an extravagance, etc.). Leslie may well be an accused murderess, but of the best sort and they're "chums" though probably not after Leslie is acquitted. But won't Mrs. Parker have stories to tell her friends ...

Am I overthinking and / or misreading this situation?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

AHend wrote: July 26th, 2023, 2:41 pm
I forgot to mention that Maugham's inspiration for this play and for the earlier short story of the same title was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Proudlock_case
AHend

Post by AHend »

Wow that's a lot of information. All very interesting! Thanks!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

BrianFullen wrote: July 16th, 2023, 8:56 pm
So nice to meet John Withers. Now when I think of an ADO in the colonial service he'll come to mind.

Hey, I got interested in what exactly one did in one's role has an ADO. Wikipedia tells me that in due course an able ADO might rise to the rank of District Commissioner in the mold of "Sanders of the River", a book by Edgar Wallace. I see a number of Edgar Wallace books in the LV catalog, but not that particular one. It's at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35545 and I am of the opinion that you'd make a fine DC unless, of course, you've set your sights higher and aspire to be Colonial Governor!

Seriously, I really enjoyed your read of Withers. I believe I'd only heard you read German naval officers in Gun Running for Casement and as much as I liked those characterizations I do believe I like Withers a bit more.

Now for the nit picking ...

PL Notes Act 1
  • (00:19) "Thank the Lord for that." [I don't hear the word "the".]
  • (00:59) "She wouldn’t see me till you came." [until/til: corrected by reread at around 1:02; I think you meant to delete the line at around 00:59 but forgot to do so.]
  • (06:38) "I was very much impressed by the way in which she told that terrible story." [I don't hear the word "much"]
  • (07:54) "He was the sort of chap you couldn’t help liking." [I hear "man" not "chap"]
PL Note Act 3
  • (00:01) "I must say it does look a bit dreary." [I hear "little" not "bit"]
Thank you.
Both files fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

John Withers is PLOK in acts 1 and 3. Thank you for him.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

BrianFullen wrote: July 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm But I suppose she's especially enraged by the fact that he throws her over for an ethnic Chinese woman whom Leslie considers "beneath" her in so many ways as older and less attractive than she, less "refined", of lower socioeconomic standing, etc. I can imagine that for Leslie that would be especially galling in adding grave insult to injury. Plus the affair itself probably was an "escape" for her, from her loneliness and isolation from the social hub in Singapore; even if it would never have been anything more than an affair.
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I interpreted Leslie's anger and actions. Planning on recording her this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

jennlea wrote: July 28th, 2023, 5:16 pm
BrianFullen wrote: July 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm But I suppose she's especially enraged by the fact that he throws her over for an ethnic Chinese woman whom Leslie considers "beneath" her in so many ways as older and less attractive than she, less "refined", of lower socioeconomic standing, etc. I can imagine that for Leslie that would be especially galling in adding grave insult to injury. Plus the affair itself probably was an "escape" for her, from her loneliness and isolation from the social hub in Singapore; even if it would never have been anything more than an affair.
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I interpreted Leslie's anger and actions. Planning on recording her this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it!
You'll be wonderful. I look forward to your recordings.

I actually saw the William Wyler film of this. A long, long time ago. Probably on TV. Maybe like TMC or somewhere. I didn't see Leslie as sympathetic as played by Bette Davis - I can't get the Kim Carnes Bette Davis Eyes song out of my head. Sorry about that. I'm not hating on Bette. I actually don't think the part of a murderess could have been played sympathetically given the era in which the film was made. It probably would not have flown with censors and audiences.

So, I'm not condoning murder or false rape charges. I do think those are bad things. But, when I think of the desperation Lesile must have felt I can't bring myself to think of her without feeling for her, or at least the situation she found herself in at least to some extent. I wish there was more of a back story on her. I have to guess at why she married a man she didn't love to begin with. But then I tell myself she had no other choice. Maybe Robert offered her the best or only acceptable choice of a marriage, or just a life for that matter. That's what I imagine. She says toward the end of act 3 that she has no relatives back in England, How was it she found herself in that colony. I imagine that perhaps she was born there. I think there are "tells" by WSM that she is desperately out-of-place. Not just isolated. But it's a man's place she's living in, isn't it. The decorations in their home are things like daggers and swords, with animal heads on the walls, etc. Even the furniture doesn't seem like what a woman choose - not that I'm an expert on that. There's a little bit of lace here and there but they are only things that she'd manufactured herself. There's a piano but no indication that she even plays it and in fact when Dorothy Parker comes for the "acquittal" celebration she simply opens the music book to some random sheet to give it a "touch" as it were and sends a servant out to get some flowers to decorate.

I have the feeling that Leslie traded a jail cell for a cell of another sort. I'm not saying that Geoff got what was coming to him. The way I see it is that he just didn't understand what their affair meant to her. And for sure Robert didn't deserve the treatment he got. I think he's a good guy and I think he truly wanted to give Leslie what he thought would be good for her ... really for the both of them. It's just not she wanted. And as far as I can tell all that Leslie wanted was not what she had and maybe in that time and place it wasn't really like the world of possibilities were there for her. Were they. Maybe for another sort of woman. But they probably had to have been extraordinarily brave and strong and maybe Leslie just wasn't those. I don't know. I just know that the more I think about this play the more fascinating I find it.

I hope you have tons of fun playing Leslie.
AHend

Post by AHend »