[COMPLETE] Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13 - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Sorry, Michael, when I identified myself as <Thomas A Copeland> an error message told me to use only alpha-numeric characters, but when I changed to <Thomas_A_Copeland>, a different message said my email could not be found. I had used the website that my profile on your site provided: https://librivox.org/reader/6249?primary_key=6249&search_category=reader&search_page=1&search_form=get_results. But since it had complained of my email address, I substituted <tcopeland@neo.rr.com>.Still it said my email had not been found. So I then put in my own email address but got the same message.

What does it want?

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Christine, in the next installment I have switched after about 15 minutes from a USB microphone to the computer's internal microphone. Let's see how that works.

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chymocles wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:40 am What does it want?
Your forum name: chymocles. After you enter the first few letters, you should be able to select it from a drop-down list.

Michael
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I'm sorry to be so dense, Michael, but the first few letters of what?

And, Christine, the MW says to check the PL notes, but where are they? I am feeling almost as much at sea as when I first began to read for Librivox.

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chymocles wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:21 pm I'm sorry to be so dense, Michael, but the first few letters of what?
Your forum name. If you start typing "chymocles" into the "Reader" box, "chymocles" will appear in a drop-down list and you should click on it. The screenshot here shows an example:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Assigning_and_removing_readers

Michael
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

To Michael: I see now that the machine was asking for my Librivox name. I don't know why that never occurred to me. The drop-down menu would never appear unless I knew that, and I would not have needed it either. Couldn't the label be "Screen Name" or "Forum Name" instead of "Name"? Well, the section has no reader's name, and since I can't delete the section and start over, I guess you'll have to fix it. Sorry.

To Christine: The twelfth section is up: at https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_12_anonymous_128kb.mp3.
The experimentation has resulted in a real improvement at the end, from 36 minutes on, but the internal microphone (for nights 616-617) was a bad idea. If you think the noise is excessive, I will record it again.

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Tom, I've assigned the rest of the sections in the MW to you. You're welcome to add sections without assigning them as you go along, and I'll assign them to you in one fell swoop before cataloging.

Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

chymocles wrote: January 9th, 2023, 8:37 am To Michael: I see now that the machine was asking for my Librivox name. I don't know why that never occurred to me. The drop-down menu would never appear unless I knew that, and I would not have needed it either. Couldn't the label be "Screen Name" or "Forum Name" instead of "Name"? Well, the section has no reader's name, and since I can't delete the section and start over, I guess you'll have to fix it. Sorry.

To Christine: The twelfth section is up: at https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_12_anonymous_128kb.mp3.
The experimentation has resulted in a real improvement at the end, from 36 minutes on, but the internal microphone (for nights 616-617) was a bad idea. If you think the noise is excessive, I will record it again.

Tom
All you need to do is run Noise Reduction. Highlight a portion where you're not speaking. Under Effects click "Get Noise Profile". Then highlight the whole recording and set the settings as follows then hit ok.
Noise reduction (dB): 10
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands): 3
Then reupload.
Sorry if you knew this already.
It will definitely help without rerecording.
Please post in this thread when this is done and then I will PL.
Thanks!
Christine
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Yes, I do know it, Christine, and believe me, the file you will be hearing has been thoroughly doctored, so you can imagine what it must have sounded like to begin with. I notice that not all noise reduction apps operate the same way, so although I do like Audacity's (which resembles that of Amadeus), Audition manages to leave relatively unchanged the actual sounds of the speech while reducing the surrounding noise. This makes sure that no vocal sounds are utterly lost, but the constant ebbing and flowing of the noise, although not obvious, does distract me. What I did was to use both apps lightly and also processed each segment of the file separately depending on the level of noise present. That's why I say that the only remaining option is to rerecord any part that is just plain too noisy. Please let me know your reaction as you listen. I don't want to redo any of it, but I want less to leave it unsatisfactory.

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

The background noise in Section 12 is more than section 11 and 10 but I can still hear the story clearly. Ultimately, though, it is up to you. I'm going to go ahead and PL.
Hope this helps,
Christine
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, and pay special attention to nights 616-617.

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 12 is PL ok.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

What a relief! Now you can read the beginning of "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves": https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_13_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

chymocles wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:23 am What a relief! Now you can read the beginning of "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves": https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_13_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Tom
Yay!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 13 is PL ok.