Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 9 PL OK
donma03

Post by donma03 »

Hi Lynnet,

I find myself drawn to Chapter XIX Bad Men of Texas, if it isn't already claimed.

If it is available, could I suggest one change? In this chapter there is a story about a Texas outlaw Ben Thompson, where he is quoted:
  • "Mack, d—n your nigger soul, you go down to that place this evening and when the house is full and everybody is seated, you just raise hell and we'll see what that —— is made of."

For the recording I'd suggest:
  • "Mack, d—n your soul, you go down to that place this evening and when the house is full and everybody is seated, you just raise hell and we'll see what that —— is made of."
The original book was copywritten in 1927 and the author was reporting the character quote directly.
While I respect the integrity of the authors work, I would be uncomfortable recording or listening to that one word.
I believe that excising that one word seems reasonable for a 2023 public domain audio recording and doesn't diminish the quotes intent.

As a side note, the original text seems to edit out the words "damn" and "bastard" to suit a 1927 sensitivity.

If my suggested edit for the audio recording is not a acceptable, then someone else can have this chapter and I'll go find another assignment.

Best Regards,

Maurice
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

donma03 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 7:02 pm Hi Lynnet,

I find myself drawn to Chapter XIX Bad Men of Texas, if it isn't already claimed.

If it is available, could I suggest one change? In this chapter there is a story about a Texas outlaw Ben Thompson, where he is quoted:
  • "Mack, d—n your nigger soul, you go down to that place this evening and when the house is full and everybody is seated, you just raise hell and we'll see what that —— is made of."

For the recording I'd suggest:
  • "Mack, d—n your soul, you go down to that place this evening and when the house is full and everybody is seated, you just raise hell and we'll see what that —— is made of."
The original book was copywritten in 1927 and the author was reporting the character quote directly.
While I respect the integrity of the authors work, I would be uncomfortable recording or listening to that one word.
I believe that excising that one word seems reasonable for a 2023 public domain audio recording and doesn't diminish the quotes intent.

As a side note, the original text seems to edit out the words "damn" and "bastard" to suit a 1927 sensitivity.

If my suggested edit for the audio recording is not a acceptable, then someone else can have this chapter and I'll go find another assignment.

Best Regards,

Maurice
I’m sorry, but it is Librivox policy to read it as written, warts and all.
From our wiki:
Our objective is to record texts as they were published. This means:
You may not change the published text in any way (eg. to remove swear words, language or ideas you find objectionable, or to "update" a text). Our objective is to record texts as they were written.
You may not add or remove text.
You may not add an audio introduction or editorial comment. You can however include this kind of thing in the catalog text.
donma03

Post by donma03 »

Lynnet,

Understood.
I'll withdraw from recording this chapter and look forward another work.

Best Regards,

Maurice
robcyoung

Post by robcyoung »

Hello all: I would like to read/claim Section 12 Wild Bill Hickok
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

robcyoung wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:19 am Hello all: I would like to read/claim Section 12 Wild Bill Hickok
You've got it! Please be sure to read the first post and ask if you have questions.
carlskin

Post by carlskin »

Hello Lynnet:
How are sections recorded such as:
"Don't mind me," meaning that Simms should keep on [Pg 334]firing. "Kill the —— of ——!" he cried.

Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

carlskin wrote: May 18th, 2023, 11:08 am Hello Lynnet:
How are sections recorded such as:
"Don't mind me," meaning that Simms should keep on [Pg 334]firing. "Kill the —— of ——!" he cried.

Thank you
Don't read the page numbers.
The phrase should be "Kill the blank of blank!" We may have an idea about what the author wanted to say, but it is not our job to supply the missing words.
faceForRadio

Post by faceForRadio »

Hi Lynnet,

Just wanted to update that I'm still working on the assigned pieces.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

faceForRadio wrote: June 11th, 2023, 11:42 pm Hi Lynnet,

Just wanted to update that I'm still working on the assigned pieces.
:thumbs:
shadow131318

Post by shadow131318 »

Can i have the chapter 14
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

shadow131318 wrote: June 12th, 2023, 7:56 am Can i have the chapter 14
Certainly
robcyoung

Post by robcyoung »

Uploaded Section 12 - Story of the Outlaw
Duration: 27:3:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/outlaw_12_hough_128k.mp3

/Rob
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

robcyoung wrote: June 12th, 2023, 3:42 pm Uploaded Section 12 - Story of the Outlaw
Duration: 27:3:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/outlaw_12_hough_128k.mp3

/Rob
Thank you