~SOLO Williwaw by Gore Vidal - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Hi Ann,

Thanks for checking section 10.

I found a video by Phil Chenevert from 2015 that says the Audacity ReplayGain function has 89 dB as its default adjustment. But my Audacity version doesn't have ReplayGain. I think I used it in the past and am struggling to adjust small sections in my audio to a uniform acceptable volume as other methods require so many more steps. I'm trying to find the quickest/easiest method so the editing doesn't take so long. Any suggestions?

Currently, I plan to remove background noise on each voice track and use the checker (make mp3 files for each voice track, current section would be about 25 mp3s) to correct dB level, adjust them, then cut the different voice tracks together.

Is this how the dramatic reading editors do it? Should I ask this on a different forum thread?

Thanks!
Wanda
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That's a good question! I don't know how those editors make all those sections sound like they were recorded all at the same time, and with the same volume. I would suggest asking in the Need Help forum for any advice. Also, in the Dramatic Works forum, there is this thread, where there are some good suggestions for dramatic works, point #8 has one of Phil's videos, where he talks about how to edit plays.

As far as ReplayGain, I think that there has been a new version of Audacity that has come out lately. I haven't downloaded it yet, I will do that when I finish my current project, so I can't really give any advice on that. But, I believe that there is a new feature in there that has to do with volume and how to get to 89 dB in one shot, and Phil has made a video about that as well!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Oooh, thanks! I'll check into all of these!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Just finished section 20 (Chapter 7, section 2). I took some time "off" to do some major Fall planting. Otherwise, the editing information you pointed me too should speed things up. Thanks again! Wanda

PS. I'm going to try to get this in the magic window after posting.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/williwaw_20_vidal_128kb.mp3
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 20 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Section 19 ready for PL and in Magic Window.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 19 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Section 2 (Chapter 1, section 2) is up.

Have a Happy Halloween!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 2 is PL OK!

Happy Halloween to you, too! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Checking in. I had (still have, ugh) remodeling going on so wasn't able to record the minor characters for chapters. I was able to do editing of recordings. Will resume work in January.

Happy Holidays!!!
Wanda
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Sounds good! Thank you for checking in!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Sorry to be late with my monthly check-in. My husband and I got COVID for the first time and are still recovering. I think I can start again next week if I don't get the "rebound" infection after anti-viral meds.

Wanda
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

wwhite wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:10 am Sorry to be late with my monthly check-in. My husband and I got COVID for the first time and are still recovering. I think I can start again next week if I don't get the "rebound" infection after anti-viral meds.

Wanda
Oh wow, Wanda! I haven't caught it yet, and I feel so bad for people who do! Take it easy, we are not in a hurry. I hope you and your husband recover soon!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

I'm back and able to work on the project again. Had the rebound, secondary infection, and after a month or so I had to then catch up on all the chores that went undone. I'm considering just reading the book without different voices (or the editing) to get the project done faster. Since you've listened to a few sections, do you have any opinions about the worth of the different voices and accents?

Thanks!
Wanda
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

wwhite wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:22 pm I'm back and able to work on the project again. Had the rebound, secondary infection, and after a month or so I had to then catch up on all the chores that went undone. I'm considering just reading the book without different voices (or the editing) to get the project done faster. Since you've listened to a few sections, do you have any opinions about the worth of the different voices and accents?

Thanks!
Wanda
Hi Wanda,

Welcome back to the living! It is never fun to play catch-up after being sick for so long!

I don't have an opinion ever way as far as different voices go. If you can pull it off, then go for it. If not, then don't worry about it. I think more work goes into the project if you use different voices, which should be managed. If doing the different voices makes twice, or three times, the work, then it may not be worth it. It is up to you whether you want to continue with it. You may have to take into consideration what the illness, rebound and secondary infection did to you physically. Things to think about. :hmm:

Ann
Ann

Audio, video, disco!