davidholmesvoice wrote: December 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm Hi all
May I claim Ch. 10, please?
Thanks,
David
It's yours!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

neecheelok70 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 5:43 pm I am claiming 1, 2, and 8-10. Jim
1-2 and 8-9 are yours. Section 10 was already requested by David (see above).
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

The Preface is PL OK. The intro was a bit short, so I just added enough to get it to the 0:05-1:00 range. And there were two additions by the recorder regarding the chapters in which the two page references occurred. Since we are not supposed to add any material not already existing in the text, I simply cut the additions. Since these were not worth having the recorder fix, I did them and re-saved and re-submitted. Jim :)
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Section 5 is excellently rendered in authentic accent, but here are several things that should be fixed. And if I have misheard or in any way misconstrued or you just disagree, please set me straight!

At the beginning about 0.19, I think there is a syllable left out of the word reminiscences. You have three syllables instead of four.

At 2:14, I hear gave me instead of made me.

At 11:06, I hear Coburn for Cockburn, but then I wondered if it might be a Scottish pronunciation.

Finally, at 20:04, I hear Cannes pronounced with two syllables. And given the Standard level of recording, I shouldn't even mention it, but because it is a familiar place name, I thought it might stand out as a mispronunciation of the famous French town.

Jim
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

neecheelok70 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 10:43 am Section 5 is excellently rendered in authentic accent, but here are several things that should be fixed. And if I have misheard or in any way misconstrued or you just disagree, please set me straight!

At the beginning about 0.19, I think there is a syllable left out of the word reminiscences. You have three syllables instead of four.

At 2:14, I hear gave me instead of made me.

At 11:06, I hear Coburn for Cockburn, but then I wondered if it might be a Scottish pronunciation.

Finally, at 20:04, I hear Cannes pronounced with two syllables. And given the Standard level of recording, I shouldn't even mention it, but because it is a familiar place name, I thought it might stand out as a mispronunciation of the famous French town.

Jim
Thank you Jim for your excellent proof listening, I will make some immediate adjustments and resubmit. I have been advised by a Scottish friend that "Coburn" is the correct (or at least predominate) Scottish pronunciation for "Cockburn".

I hope you had a pleasant Christmas, and here's wishing you a happy New Year. Be of good cheer.
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

And the same hope for you. I look forward to your remaining submissions. Jim :thumbs:
davidholmesvoice

Post by davidholmesvoice »

Hi there

Here is Ch10 for PL. I imagine there are a few things to fix but my ears can't hear any more(!)
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/scottishreminisces_10_geikie_128kb.mp3
Duration: 22m 52s

Thanks,
David
david@holmesvoice.co.uk
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

Hi Jim,

Here's is the edited version of section 5, the Litigiousness of the Scots. I made all the corrections, but as I mentioned to you earlier, I believe "Coburn" is the correct Scottish pronunciation for "Cockburn", so I left that unchanged.

I'm hoping it will fly better this time. Be of good cheer.

Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/scottishreminisces_05_geikie_128kb.mp3
at 22m 50s
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, I did note in my list that I thought it that it might be a Scottish pronunciation, so we are all clear. Thanks. Jim :thumbs:
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

I would like to extend my claim to Chapters 3, 4 and 7.
Best regards,
Kerry Adams
Your Book Voice
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

You are signed up for 3, 4, and 7. Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank you, David, for an entertaining rendition. But there are some things to fix.
1. The start and finish are not right: the first too short and the last too long. Note the times stated in the notes in the MW: 0:05-1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end.
2. You have omitted a portion of the text and the intro information (author, title, etc.) at the beginning.
3. At 3:06, you have said "cups" for "cusps." Cups doesn't really work.
4. These recordings are not providing the information to which footnote numbers refer, so they should be omitted (at 18:09 for 30, 21:38 for 31, and 22:37 for 32).
5. At 21:28, you have omitted a portion of the text: "His companion within called out."
Please correct and resend.
Thanks, Jim
davidholmesvoice

neecheelok70 wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm Thank you, David, for an entertaining rendition. But there are some things to fix.
1. The start and finish are not right: the first too short and the last too long. Note the times stated in the notes in the MW: 0:05-1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end.
2. You have omitted a portion of the text and the intro information (author, title, etc.) at the beginning.
4. These recordings are not providing the information to which footnote numbers refer, so they should be omitted (at 18:09 for 30, 21:38 for 31, and 22:37 for 32).
5. At 21:28, you have omitted a portion of the text: "His companion within called out."
Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim

Thanks for the notes. These are all corrected and the updated file is here:
Duration:
25m00s

Apologies for the chunk missing at the start - idiotic error.
I agree, 'cups' did not work.
I included the Footnotes as the MW said I should, but they are now eradicated.

To save you having to listen to the whole thing: reincorporating the first chunk has added about 2m10s to the time, so you can work out the new timings for the old mistakes.

Thanks again,
David
david@holmesvoice.co.uk
davidholmesvoice

davidholmesvoice wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:36 pm
neecheelok70 wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm Thank you, David, for an entertaining rendition. But there are some things to fix.
Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim

Thanks for the notes. These are all corrected and the updated file is here:
Duration:
25m00s

Apologies for the chunk missing at the start - idiotic error.
I agree, 'cups' did not work.
I included the Footnotes as the MW said I should, but they are now eradicated.

To save you having to listen to the whole thing: reincorporating the first chunk has added about 2m10s to the time, so you can work out the new timings for the old mistakes.

Thanks again,
David
:oops: :oops: :oops: CANCEL THIS - found some more issues - WATCH THIS SPACE :oops: :oops: :oops:
david@holmesvoice.co.uk
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, David. My apologies. I should have said you needed to omit the footnote numbers if you were not going to provide the notes. Alone, they do nothing for the reader. So if you think these notes are important, the instructions say only don't do the notes if the information is not worthwhile. There are instructions also for including the footnotes. I don't know if you want to go back to check the notes or not; that I will leave up to you. Your intro space is a little over 1 second and the end is still too long. Also the missing text at 21:28 is still missing. Oh, sorry, somehow I didn't see your statement to cancel. Jim