[COMPLETE][Short stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 02 November 1895 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

huldaheath wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:01 amCan't wait to hear everyone's sections this go round! All the readers did an amazing job in the last edition. :)
oh so cool, you already listened to them all ? I'm happy you liked them. :)

Sonia
NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ »

feedback / constructive criticism appreciated
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow now this was really a cool highlight in the end. :shock: This lawyer had a wonderful idea to show the unreliability of witnesses :lol: I loved the story and I loved your narration, J :) thank you so much, it's another perfect ending to this magazine. :thumbs: PL ok. I hope to hear you again in one of the next ones down the line ;)

Sonia
KateG

Post by KateG »

Hi!

If I'm correct, section 3 should still be available, right? If so, I'd really like to claim that :D

Kate
Reader's Page 13871

cc welcome!

"You're evil, you know that?", I said. She grinned and shook her head: "Chaotic neutral, sugar"
(Ernest Cline - Ready Player One)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KateG wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:23 amIf I'm correct, section 3 should still be available, right? If so, I'd really like to claim that :D
Hi Kate !!! so cool that you chose this project as your first LV participation. And now I can be sure that all the German words will be pronounced correctly in this story ;) Since this is your first project, I need to know under what reader name you want to run, so I can open your personal reader page. This can be your forum name, or real name, or another pseudonym. I will reserve the section for you meanwhile and move us over to Readers found.

All the important details for correct LV intro and outro and filenaming are in the very first post, so please read through this carefully.

I see you had some noise-cleaning issues in your test, so if you need help with that, just let me know. Do you use Audacity ? It's quite easy to run noise-cleaning with that program.

Have fun with your first section. :9: I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Sonia
KateG

Post by KateG »

Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:45 am And now I can be sure that all the German words will be pronounced correctly in this story ;)
The German will be fine, I'm more concerned about the English :lol:
Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:45 am Since this is your first project, I need to know under what reader name you want to run, so I can open your personal reader page.
I'd like to run under my real name: Katharina Glowalla
Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:45 am I see you had some noise-cleaning issues in your test, so if you need help with that, just let me know. Do you use Audacity ? It's quite easy to run noise-cleaning with that program.
Noise-cleaning should not be a problem, I just didn't apply it to the test. I had some problems with adjusting the volume but the help you provided for Shanna in this thread was already very helpful for me, als well :wink:

Well then, off to recording! :clap:
Reader's Page 13871

cc welcome!

"You're evil, you know that?", I said. She grinned and shook her head: "Chaotic neutral, sugar"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The German will be fine, I'm more concerned about the English :lol:
:mrgreen: ok then. Well, if you hesitate about a word, you can always ask. You have to tell me if you want pronunciation corrections in my notes or not. We are usually not giving unsolicited pronunciation guides, unless the meaning is completely changed by the wrong pronunciation.

As long as you enunciate clearly and don't speak too fast, I think it will be fine and understandable, even if you have an accent. :) And reading aloud is a great practice to get better with time. ;)
I'd like to run under my real name: Katharina Glowalla
great, so here is your personal page: https://librivox.org/reader/13871
all your future projects will be listed here. And under reader section details you can check which sections you have claimed and which have PL notes, so you can keep track of your to-do-list. It's quite handy to have.
I had some problems with adjusting the volume but the help you provided for Shanna in this thread was already very helpful for me, als well :wink:
:thumbs: super, great that you are informing yourself. And if ever you have a question, don't hesitate to ask. There is always someone here who may know the answer to it.

Have fun with your first recording. :)

Sonia
NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ »

Kitty wrote: January 24th, 2020, 2:42 am
wow now this was really a cool highlight in the end. :shock: This lawyer had a wonderful idea to show the unreliability of witnesses :lol: I loved the story and I loved your narration, J :) thank you so much, it's another perfect ending to this magazine. :thumbs: PL ok. I hope to hear you again in one of the next ones down the line ;)

Sonia
glad you enjoyed the story, I'll keep an eye out for the next edition :D
J
feedback / constructive criticism appreciated
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NarratorJ wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:19 amglad you enjoyed the story, I'll keep an eye out for the next edition :D
:thumbs: I will post the link to the new project here as soon as it's up, so stay bookmarked to the thread ;)

Sonia
KateG

Post by KateG »

Ok now, here goes nothing :lol:

Here's my first recording, it's 27:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_3_various_128kb.mp3
Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:27 am You have to tell me if you want pronunciation corrections in my notes or not. We are usually not giving unsolicited pronunciation guides, unless the meaning is completely changed by the wrong pronunciation.
I'd love you to give me pronunciation corrections as well, thanks a lot in advance for that!
Reader's Page 13871

cc welcome!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KateG wrote: January 31st, 2020, 7:48 amOk now, here goes nothing :lol:
Here's my first recording, it's 27:16
I'd love you to give me pronunciation corrections as well, thanks a lot in advance for that!
Kate, this first recording is absolutely brilliantly narrated. :9: I loved to listen to it from beginning to end. But oh, what a tragic ending it was, I was seriously moved to tears on the final page :cry: You managed to make it all very lively and interesting by giving the characters distinctive voices. :thumbs: It was a real delight and a wonderful first section. Hopefully many many more to come !!!!

And your diction and accent in English is absolutely great, I found nothing I need to point out as wrong. Word-perfect too. A great start.

However, there is only one technical thing that needs to get corrected. We need a standard 5 seconds of silence at the end of each recording, and yours is breaking off too abruptly. Could you just add 5 seconds at the end, then all will be perfectly fine ? This is easy, just let another Audacity window run without recording anything, then cut the 5 seconds out and paste them into your section. A bit of noise cleaning maybe too for that small section, so there is not too much noise in the final part. Then simply reupload with the exact same filename, then the new section with replace the old section.

Another small advice (but not need to correct that) is that in the speeches, especially the first with the two girls in their room, you speak much louder all of a sudden. Of course it's the excitement in their voices, but be careful not to be too loud, clipping can occur and that may distort the voice if it happens over a long period of time. Just something you could watch out for in your future recordings.

Thank you so much, I am thrilled that you chose this project for your first section. :) I hope you liked the whole process too, and that I will hear you soon in another project. ;)

Sonia
KateG

Post by KateG »

Sonia, thank you so much for the positive feedback! This really means a lot :9:
Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:12 am But oh, what a tragic ending it was, I was seriously moved to tears on the final page :cry:
Yes, poor Anton! :( I had to re-record the ending a lot because I got choked up :cry:

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:12 am However, there is only one technical thing that needs to get corrected. We need a standard 5 seconds of silence at the end of each recording, and yours is breaking off too abruptly. Could you just add 5 seconds at the end, then all will be perfectly fine ? This is easy, just let another Audacity window run without recording anything, then cut the 5 seconds out and paste them into your section. A bit of noise cleaning maybe too for that small section, so there is not too much noise in the final part. Then simply reupload with the exact same filename, then the new section with replace the old section.

I added the 5 seconds of silence in the end, so it's now 27:20

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:12 am Another small advice (but not need to correct that) is that in the speeches, especially the first with the two girls in their room, you speak much louder all of a sudden. Of course it's the excitement in their voices, but be careful not to be too loud, clipping can occur and that may distort the voice if it happens over a long period of time. Just something you could watch out for in your future recordings.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind! Already looking for the next project, this is just so much fun! :mrgreen:
Reader's Page 13871

cc welcome!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Yes, poor Anton! :( I had to re-record the ending a lot because I got choked up :cry:
oh you are just the same than me, then. I sometimes have to sob during recordings as well, if the text is too emotional. :cry:
I added the 5 seconds of silence in the end, so it's now 27:20
:thumbs: super thank you, and congratulations now to your first official PL ok. :clap:
Already looking for the next project, this is just so much fun! :mrgreen:
yay, great to have you on board for good :lol: and I see you already have an eye on a German project next. :mrgreen:

And a new Black Cat will be coming soon as well. If you stay bookmarked to this thread, you will read about me announcing the launching date one of these days.

Have a nice weekend !

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Here's section 5. I hope you enjoy it. Length: 13:6

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_5_various_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 8:39 pmHere's section 5. I hope you enjoy it. Length: 13:6
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_5_various_128kb.mp3
this is a wonderful story and wonderfully narrated, Julie. :9: I love the sort of accent and tone of voice you give the grandma, who is supposed to narrate the whole thing. Very lively, and very creepy at times. But there is a happy ending, how cool. Again shows one shouldn't be biased :lol:

This is PL ok. Thank you so much for this excellent addition.

And since we are only waiting for one final section, I think it's time I prepare the next magazine :mrgreen: Will post the link here once it's up and running.

Sonia