COMPLETE: [RUSSIAN] Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 1 - dii

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, perfectly corrected and now PL ok
In Germanic languages are umlauts always shown, even on storefronts and in advertisements?
oh yes, always. Even when they are capital letters Ö, Ä, Ü. Sometimes in the old books they were written as two letters, adding an -e: ae, oe, ue is the same than ä, ö, ü. But they are never simply written a, o, u. That would be a totally different letter, as I thought your ë would be. It's strange.
The native speakers just know which sound to use. "ё" is always spelled out in school books and if there could be a confusion, like "все" vs "всё".
well with names sometimes I wonder whether everybody would know. It could be -yov, or -ev at the end, depending whether the first or the last syllable is stressed. Like here with this author.

Well, it's a convention I guess. At least it is still easier to handle than omitting all the short vowels in the Arabic or Hebrew script. :? Now that is tricky to learn
Sonia, I going to continue this project and would be happy if you would continue to help me.
I looked at other books of Silhouettes of Russian Writers by Eichenwald. There is выпуск 2 (1908), выпуск 3 (1910), and a 1923 edition, where some of the silhouettes are rewritten. I am going to omit Chekhov in this book and other writers in выпуск 2 and 3 because there will be newer versions in the 1923 volume. If you have better ideas, please share!
hmm so you don't want to read the full book here ? :hmm: It's your choice I guess, but maybe at least then write it in the introduction, so listeners will know why you dropped them and where to find them.

I need to check how much PL jobs I can handle, but I will definitely continue PLing Russian texts, it's good practice for me and I love to listen to the language, even if I don't understand it all. :9:

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Indeed, Russian geographic and last names could be confusing for native speakers too. Sometimes clarifications are needed, as in English. Many people point out and insist on proper stresses in their names. It's complicated :-)

Posted Гончаров 1 and 2, accidentally the same length:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_18_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [26:56]
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_19_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [26:55]

I also found a tiny preface that I missed on p. "i". Only a spot PL needed at 0:30-0:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [15:13]
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:09 pmMany people point out and insist on proper stresses in their names. It's complicated :-)
haha I can imagine that would be important for some. I guess I would react the same way.
Posted Гончаров 1 and 2, accidentally the same length:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_18_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [26:56]
I checked the first part now, but need a bit of a rest now before I tackle part 2. Probably tomorrow.

Only found two notes, one of them a tiny difference:

> at 0:08: you forgot part of the disclaimer: "Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии"

> at 25:55: (p. 143) "и кто куда и зачем идёт" – this is probably not a big change in meaning, but I wanted to note down that you say "едет". I guess it's an optional change, but I promised to note any differences, so you can choose for yourself ;)

(Note to myself: continued on bottom of page 143 "Мирный и уравновешенный")
I also found a tiny preface that I missed on p. "i". Only a spot PL needed at 0:30-0:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [15:13]
ah you wanted to include that one, ok up to you. It's PL ok again :)

thanks, great reading again. :9:

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Barging again into your conversation... :oops:
chulsky wrote: February 15th, 2020, 12:19 pm... The native speakers just know which sound to use. "ё" is always spelled out in school books and if there could be a confusion, like "все" vs "всё"
The last two words that you mention aren't always clear. How would you read (in a modern text) "они все ходили по кругу"? Both words are acceptable. The old (pre-1918) orthography was much more useful in that case: modern "все" was spelled всѣ, and if you see "все" in an old text, you know to say "всё"... Of course, the original example was about the well-known last name. Even then, if I recall correctly, the famous painter Иванов's name has the emphasis on the 'а', not the usual 'о'... :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:15 amThe old (pre-1918) orthography was much more useful in that case: modern "все" was spelled всѣ, and if you see "все" in an old text, you know to say "всё"...
yes I am starting to become fluent in the old script :lol:

but nowadays it could be so much easier as well, if you guys actually used the ë, since you clearly have it to differentiate the sounds. I don't understand why it isn't used. :hmm:

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Kitty wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:19 amI don't understand why it isn't used. :hmm:
I think it's laziness. В лесу родилась елочка. In the overwhelming majority of cases there is no doubt what sound there is supposed to be. So why have another letter in the font (for a typesetter to put in the matrix), another symbol in the character generator, another key on the keyboard (for a computer user to type) or, previously, on the typewriter...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:19 pmI think it's laziness. В лесу родилась елочка.
I love that song :9:
In the overwhelming majority of cases there is no doubt what sound there is supposed to be. So why have another letter in the font (for a typesetter to put in the matrix), another symbol in the character generator, another key on the keyboard (for a computer user to type) or, previously, on the typewriter...
hmm I'm not sure that is the reason though, because then you could also get rid of the щ because it is very similar to the ш (at least to my untrained ear, I don't hear too much of a difference). At least the difference in sound is much less than between e and ë, in my opinion.

Well, it's a Russian mystery I guess and may remain one. :mrgreen: But for people who learn the language this is difficult sometimes. Luckily in grammar books they faithfully use the ë where it's needed.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok back to the next section, where I also found two small errors:

> at 0:07: you also forgot the same part of the disclaimer here: "Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии" (I hope I didn't miss it anywhere else :? )

> at 12:08: "То мëртвое озеро жизни" – you say "моря" - a lake is much smaller than the sea, but maybe the difference is not too significant for the imagery here. I let you decide.

Great reading again ! Thanks, and have a nice weekend.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_18_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 and
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_19_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3
I need to pay more attention to the meaning of what I read, I tend to concentrate on voicing and expression too much. :oops:
"Мертвое море", just like the Dead Sea, would carry a wrong connotation.

A new section too: https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_20_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [46:13]

Tovarisch, never hesitate to barge in, your insights are apt and thought-provoking.
I'd like to point out a couple more Iv'anovs: Georgy and Vsevolod (the poets) and the Chekhov's play of the same name.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Spot PL ok. :)
and another wonderfully read section is PL ok. :thumbs: I especially loved this very expressive reading of this longer excerpt around the 30 minute spot I think it was. Gave me the shudders. Sounded cool.

Thank you, Mark, and have a nice weekend

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Sonia!
Here is the last essays of this issue, Глеб Успенский.
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_21_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [32:08]
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_22_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:11]
https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_23_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [22:24]
Please do your magic to delete the extra section.

I've launched the next issue, if you, Sonia and Diana, don't mind to MC and PL again :-)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78577
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent job again, Mark. I just spent the last 2 hours just listening to your three sections in one go. Now I got an overdose though :lol: But I like to listen to your voice and to the Russian language. I even think that I start to understand more and more, even though I cannot say that I understand it all fluently. Still a long way to go, but I won't give up.

I found a few small differences, which I will mark down for you and you can decide whether it's important enough to correct or not:

section 21:
> at 8:07: p. 168: и столько можно услышать - you say сколько

section 22:
> at 19:22: p. 180: И все-таки совѣсть уступаетъ - you say отступаетъ

section 23:
> at 11:42: p. 185: Одна свѣтлая дѣвушка - I hear Однака :hmm:
> at 11:46: p.185: другіе стихи, прекрасные, написанные - missed word прекрасные
Please do your magic to delete the extra section.
so you decided not to include the final 3 chapters ? Are they in the second book again or will you leave them out altogether ? They sound like interesting authors after all. :hmm:
I've launched the next issue, if you, Sonia and Diana, don't mind to MC and PL again :-)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78577
I need to have a look. I guess I could do it again, even though I have quite a lot of PL jobs already and I need to find some time for my own sections too... give me a moment to decide.

Hope all is well with you, and you and your loved ones are healthy :)

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Again, thank you, Sonia, for the careful PL. I really appreciate it. I probably should stop recording when tired.
Now, when most activities are cancelled, I hope to have more time for resting and recordings.
Our libraries are closed, what about yours?

Some details about this project plans.
I am planning a 3rd issue based on the volume published in 1923. That is the latest PD edition, the writers that I skipped in the 1st and 2nd issues should be covered in the revised essays there.
Even though there are two source books, this 2nd issue should be shorter than the 1st, some sections are small. The 3rd one should be longer though.
Now you can make your educated decision :-)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec. 21,22,23 are ready for spot-PL
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: March 17th, 2020, 5:34 pm Sec. 21,22,23 are ready for spot-PL
:clap: it's done. The last three sections are Spot PL ok. So this one is ready to get catalogued, congrats. :)

I guess I can PL the next one as well. I have a bit of a backlog right now, but if you are not too much in a hurry, I can squeeze them in once in a while.

Sonia