COMPLETE [Fortnightly Poem] Dusk in the Woods by Madison Cawein - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thanks for the edits Chris, your reading is now PL OK. :D

Thank you Stacey. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you to all readers :clap: This Fortnightly is now closed.
And thanks to redrun for filling in in my absence.

This project is now complete!
All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/dusk-in-the-woods-by-madison-cawein/
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
amberdubs

Post by amberdubs »

redrun wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 12:08 pm
amberdubs wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 11:08 am Here's my reading... Length of 1:59
Thank you Amber, and welcome to LibriVox! Your recording of the text is good (with one optional word-swap), but we do need a few changes to meet the LV Tech Specs.

First, a little editing, if you wish to do so:
  • Optional: just about 0:42 in the recording, in "The cricket tuned its faery fife;", I hear "turned" rather than "tuned". You're welcome to edit that if you wish, but again, this is optional.
  • At the beginning of the file, there's just a tad over a full second of silence, were we'd like to have between 0.5 and 1.0. Honestly, if we weren't making other changes, I'd let this slide. :wink:
Then, the more technical bits we really need:
  • The volume of this recording is low, at 78.5dBs. For LibriVox recordings, we need that somewhere between 86dB and 92dB. You can amplify by 10dBs, and you'll be right in the sweet spot. (I know amplifying by too much can cause issues with noise, but this recording seems pretty noise-free.)
  • When you export your recording in MP3 format, we need it to be at 128kbps. If you use Audacity, you'll need to set 'Bit Rate Mode' to 'Constant', then you'll see this option labeled 'Quality'.
And if you'd like a handy-dandy checker tool that will make sure you got the right settings when exporting your MP3, we have one! Appropriately, it's called 'Checker'.

I've added you as a reader in our catalog, with a display-name of "amberdubs". If you'd like it to show something else, just let me know exactly what. You can find your catalog page by clicking your name in the "Magic Window" embedded in the first post of this thread, or you can keep this link handy:
https://librivox.org/reader/19506

Thank you so much for your response :) I am VERY new to recording and I’m trying to figure out how to use my daw (reaper) so I apologize for all the mistakes. If it’s not too late, I’ll make the fixes to the recording and re submit. I think aside from my word swap (totally misread that I think) my biggest problem was recording very quietly and not adjusting my gain appropriately. Well, I’ll get to fixing it, and thanks again for your helpful response!

- Amber W
amberdubs

Post by amberdubs »

Welp, nm I see that it is closed and too late to re-submit, but thanks for your reply anyways and I’m copy pasting your advice so I remember for my next recording. Cheers!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

amberdubs wrote: May 30th, 2024, 10:20 am Welp, nm I see that it is closed and too late to re-submit, but thanks for your reply anyways and I’m copy pasting your advice so I remember for my next recording. Cheers!
Thank you for the reply Amber, I fixed the technical stuff to facilitate cataloging on Sunday. Once you get over the learning curve things will go a lot easier. :D
David Lawrence