FULL[PLAY]The Town Before You by Cowley - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Is this your first Dramatic Work? If so, some hints:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which - using the words in the MW - should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (your catalog name). This credit is used to generate a cast list.

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Owler

Post by Owler »

Thank you so much Todd, yes indeed it is my first dramatic work as I have only done non-fiction books so far :) Looking forward to submitting my clips and getting some feedback
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

haha Sir Simon doesn't hold women in too high esteem :mrgreen: excellently played Alan, I liked this performance very much, especially that it's such a sober character. Nicely portrayed. And all PL ok.

thank you

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Could I take on Floyer?
A Welsh Knight I believe. I am Welsh and very posh, so should be fine for that role. (Not been knighted yet!)
Alternatively I am happy to take on another part if more suitable.

Cheers
Craig
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah now Sir Simon is taking it up a notch. You can get quite into a rage here, Alan, I loved that outburst. :thumbs: Absolutely PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lovely recordings, Jenny, thank you so much. Lady Horatia is veering between outraged pride and desperate love, you convey those feelings very well. :thumbs: All acts can be marked PL ok right away.

Careful though, at one or two spots you forgot to leave out much silence to insert the stage directions inside one of your speeches. It's easier for our editor to cut/paste when there is enough space. No need to reupload though, as it's still enough to fiddle with for once ;)

thanks

Sonia
Owler

Post by Owler »

That is brilliant news, much appreciated Sonia :) :)
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

Here are stage directions for Act 4, 10:20.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_stagedirections_4.mp3

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TrLove wrote: December 19th, 2023, 11:35 amHere are stage directions for Act 4, 10:20.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_stagedirections_4.mp3
another great job, thank you Tina, especially for the quick delivery. Our editor is always happy to have the base of the narration to start his editing. :thumbs:

A few small edits still needed:

> at 1:27: (p. 59) "exit servant. Sir Robert, sits" – I would repeat the name here, to avoid confusion who this is about now
> at 2:01: (p. 60) "Sir Robert" - can be cut here
> at 9:17: (p. 72) "Fancourt, aside" – the aside belongs to the first sentence here, name needs to be included
> at 9:21: (p. 72) "Fancourt, in a rage" – same here
> at 9:26: (p. 72) "Fancourt, aside" – same here
> at 9:42: (p. 73) "Fancourt runs up to him" – I would include the name as well, since Tippy has just entered

thanks

Sonia