AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

Well done and PL OK!

AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

AliceStein wrote: March 15th, 2024, 1:58 pm Well done and PL OK!

AliceStein
Thanks Alice! :thumbs:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's Pandora, in "Pandora": https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_pandora_pandora.mp3 (4:42). I included a somewhat pathetic scream and some sobbing, but won't be offended if you don't use them... :lol:

Cheers,
Winnifred
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Winnifred wrote: March 15th, 2024, 2:05 pm Here's Pandora, in "Pandora": https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_pandora_pandora.mp3 (4:42). I included a somewhat pathetic scream and some sobbing, but won't be offended if you don't use them... :lol:

Cheers,
Thanks, Winnifred! The extra effort is appreciated, things like that usually sounds better and more dynamic than stage directions I think and it is nice to have the option even if I don't end up using them :thumbs:

LCaulkins, this is another one for you
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

PL note for 2nd Athenian:
at 0.07 I hear The-se-us when the pronunciation guide asks for The-sus
Otherwise OK!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Winnifred wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:06 pm
Thanks. A few PL notes for you:

For all three (maybe)
  • I’m not sure it matters, but the closing silence on each of these recordings is less than 5 seconds (hovering around 3 1/2 to 4). If that’s not actually an issue, please ignore this note. EDIT: Inkell says it's not an issue for the parts, so you can ignore.
Perseus and Atlas
  • Needs voice credit added at the start.
Perseus and Andromeda
  • Needs voice credit added at the start.
  • At 0:29, there’s a word missing. The line starts “Why are you here, undefended,…” but the text has a “But” at the start of that line (“But why are you here, undefended…”) (This change is optional for a standard PL.)
  • At 0:41, I hear “Was there no brave man in the kingdom of Cepheus (pronounced Kef-ee-us)…” But Cepheus is meant to be pronounced Sef-oos according to the pronunciation guide.
  • At 0:59, I hear “I am Perseus (pronounced Per-see-us)…” but this name is meant to be pronounced Per-Soos according to the pronunciation guide.
  • At 2:18, I hear “What I am able to give you, most cowardly Phineus (pronounced Fin-ee-us)…” This name is meant to be pronounced Fin-oos.
  • At 2:28, I hear “I will give you a monument to last forever, and in the house of Cepheus you shall always be seen, that my wife may comfort her with the image of her betrothed.” Cepheus needs to be pronounced Sef-oos, and the word “her” should be “herself.” (The second change here is probably optional, though I believe the meaning would be clearer with the word "herself".)
Thanks,
Such a shame that the editor of the book has invented pronunciations. The diphthong "eu" should be pronounced as such and not as a strange vowel closer to upsilon. And the letter written as an initial "C" in the English transliteration was kappa and therefore should be the hard "c" as in "come". I can't in good conscience ask for more roles in this and certainly won't be listening to any of it.

However, I've made the requested changes and reuploaded. For the last paragraph, I just re-recorded the whole thing rather than try to interpolate.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: March 15th, 2024, 9:58 pm Such a shame that the editor of the book has invented pronunciations. The diphthong "eu" should be pronounced as such and not as a strange vowel closer to upsilon. And the letter written as an initial "C" in the English transliteration was kappa and therefore should be the hard "c" as in "come". I can't in good conscience ask for more roles in this and certainly won't be listening to any of it.

However, I've made the requested changes and reuploaded. For the last paragraph, I just re-recorded the whole thing rather than try to interpolate.
Well I'm very sorry to hear you feel that way. I realized recently a lot of people seem to just care a lot about wanting their audiobooks to be popular but I am really drawn to the preservation aspect, giving a voice to these old texts as they are not what we necessarily want them to be, these authors can't speak for themselves anymore. These are time capsules into the past and the past wasn't always accurate or pretty, there are things that just are outdated whether it was just information that has since been disapproved or attitudes/languages were have just moved away from as we have realized they are offensive, or in this case pronunciations. Though this book is already wrong, it explicitly calls them Greek myths yet uses Roman names because that is just what they did back then and what this author intended and the inclusion of a pronunciation guide shows how they wanted them said. It is good to get a definitive answer that these pronunciations are wrong (and I am now considering making a note of it when I update the summary) and since many of them are strange to us, it is also good that the more accurate pronunciations are what seem to have prevailed in the end.

I appreciate the corrections though I feel I must ask if you would even still like to be in the plays at all? It would be a shame since you have already gone through the effort of recording and the DPLs the effort of prooflistening but if you really find these plays that offensive and do not wish to be associated with them, I am willing to respect your wishes and recast your role(s)
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Inkell wrote: March 16th, 2024, 3:54 am
Beeswaxcandle wrote: March 15th, 2024, 9:58 pm Such a shame that the editor of the book has invented pronunciations. The diphthong "eu" should be pronounced as such and not as a strange vowel closer to upsilon. And the letter written as an initial "C" in the English transliteration was kappa and therefore should be the hard "c" as in "come". I can't in good conscience ask for more roles in this and certainly won't be listening to any of it.

Well I'm very sorry to hear you feel that way. I realized recently a lot of people seem to just care a lot about wanting their audiobooks to be popular but I am really drawn to the preservation aspect, giving a voice to these old texts as they are not what we necessarily want them to be, these authors can't speak for themselves anymore. These are time capsules into the past and the past wasn't always accurate or pretty, there are things that just are outdated whether it was just information that has since been disapproved or attitudes/languages were have just moved away from as we have realized they are offensive, or in this case pronunciations. Though this book is already wrong, it explicitly calls them Greek myths yet uses Roman names because that is just what they did back then and what this author intended and the inclusion of a pronunciation guide shows how they wanted them said. It is good to get a definitive answer that these pronunciations are wrong (and I am now considering making a note of it when I update the summary) and since many of them are strange to us, it is also good that the more accurate pronunciations are what seem to have prevailed in the end.

I appreciate the corrections though I feel I must ask if you would even still like to be in the plays at all? It would be a shame since you have already gone through the effort of recording and the DPLs the effort of prooflistening but if you really find these plays that offensive and do not wish to be associated with them, I am willing to respect your wishes and recast your role(s)
I'm not objecting to the plays themselves. The recensions of the stories are well done. The dialogue is a little stilted in places, but that's the period in which they were assembled. I'm concerned that people (our contributors and the listeners out there) will think that the pronunciation guide is definitive and the way names should be said in other works—and with a PL mostly not commenting on pronunciations here the infection may spread.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Both now PL OK.

Thanks,
Winnifred
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Winnifred wrote: March 16th, 2024, 11:08 am Both now PL OK.

Thanks,
Thanks Winnifred!
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: March 16th, 2024, 10:58 am I'm not objecting to the plays themselves. The recensions of the stories are well done. The dialogue is a little stilted in places, but that's the period in which they were assembled. I'm concerned that people (our contributors and the listeners out there) will think that the pronunciation guide is definitive and the way names should be said in other works—and with a PL mostly not commenting on pronunciations here the infection may spread.
Well when it's done I intend to improve the summary, making it longer and more detail. If I had a note at the end of the summary about how we used the pronunciations as specified in the book but they are incorrect, would that make you feel better? I'm also not sure any of us thinks the guide is definitive, many of us have noted their strangeness and questioned their accuracy, you're the first to give us a definitive answer/

EDIT: I have also added a line to the note where I tell people to use the guide to say that it many of the names are inaccurate
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Inkell wrote: March 16th, 2024, 11:30 am
Beeswaxcandle wrote: March 16th, 2024, 10:58 am I'm not objecting to the plays themselves. The recensions of the stories are well done. The dialogue is a little stilted in places, but that's the period in which they were assembled. I'm concerned that people (our contributors and the listeners out there) will think that the pronunciation guide is definitive and the way names should be said in other works—and with a PL mostly not commenting on pronunciations here the infection may spread.
Well when it's done I intend to improve the summary, making it longer and more detail. If I had a note at the end of the summary about how we used the pronunciations as specified in the book but they are incorrect, would that make you feel better? I'm also not sure any of us thinks the guide is definitive, many of us have noted their strangeness and questioned their accuracy, you're the first to give us a definitive answer/

EDIT: I have also added a line to the note where I tell people to use the guide to say that it many of the names are inaccurate
I see the merit on both sides here. I often have to bite my tongue on pronunciations elsewhere when I’m PLing. think the notes you’ve proposed for the summary might help, Inkell.
Winnifred
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Winnifred wrote: March 16th, 2024, 11:51 am I see the merit on both sides here. I often have to bite my tongue on pronunciations elsewhere when I’m PLing. think the notes you’ve proposed for the summary might help, Inkell.
It's the best way I can think of to still preserve the author's intent with the text while trying to actively avoid spreading misinformation, arguably it's more than most because often you'll get different readers pronouncing the same name differently and they can't all be right. I'm open to suggestions if people have any better ideas though
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

DrSpoke wrote: March 16th, 2024, 1:53 pm Here's Narcissus' Echo:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mythsandhero_echo_narcissus.mp3
01:33
Thank you! I have put this in for PL :thumbs:

Winnifred, this is one for you