[COMPLETE] Essays Collection #01 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

I appreciate your patience, which allowed me to re-record the the intermittently muffled reading. I have uploaded the revised version. Please note that the corrected version incorporates my initials in the title as "aks" rather than "as", to more clearly distinguish the two:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_originofspecies_darwin_aks_128kb.mp3 (42:26)

It is chapter 5 from The World's Greatest Books — Volume 15 — Science, edited by Arthur Lee and J.A. Hammerton
URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25509
Essay Title: The Origin of Species
Author: Charles Darwin

Thanks

Atul Sharma,
Winnipeg, Canada
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

Hi, Michele (and other contributors):

I'm not trying to rush things, but I just wanted to make sure my choice of essay was in keeping with the themes you were trying to promote in your collection. If for some reason it's not, I am happy to find another home for it.

That said, I think it is a cogent, well-reasoned, and still timely reminder of one of the most important works in the scientific canon, written by its original creator.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Atul

Post by msfry »

My apologies, Atul. I have not received any notifications on this project since before your original post. No idea why. I will address everything you sent today.
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Origin of Species is PL OK. This was a wonderful reading, perfectly delivered, tech specs OK, and easy to listen to. Some of the credit goes to Darwin's smooth writing style, but some to you, Atul. Bravo! Sorry it took me so long to PL it.

Now, as to Survival Of the Fittest, here's some food for thought. Last year I heated a bowl of water up for 2.5 minutes in my 1100 watt microwave, opened the door, out ran big brown cockroach and scurried away! In the interests of science I've been meaning to catch another one, throw him in, and if he survives, keep him isolated to see how long he lives. :shock:
ASharma

Post by ASharma »

msfry wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 2:11 pm The Origin of Species is PL OK. This was a wonderful reading, perfectly delivered, tech specs OK, and easy to listen to. Some of the credit goes to Darwin's smooth writing style, but some to you, Atul. Bravo! Sorry it took me so long to PL it.

Now, as to Survival Of the Fittest, here's some food for thought. Last year I heated a bowl of water up for 2.5 minutes in my 1100 watt microwave, opened the door, out ran big brown cockroach and scurried away! In the interests of science I've been meaning to catch another one, throw him in, and if he survives, keep him isolated to see how long he lives. :shock:
Thanks, Michele, that's very kind of you, and please don't worry about the delay. I had assumed that there was some technical glitch, illness, etc. I am glad you enjoyed the essay, as I think it is it still provides worthwhile insights and information.

I also wanted to respond to your insect anecdote. You probably know this, but survival in the face of radiation exposure has been studied in insect species. Where a dose of more than 800 rads is almost always fatal for humans, a formal study of immature German cockroaches showed similar fatality rates at doses of 6400 rads! Some insect species are even more resilient, surviving doses of more than 50,000 rads with no apparent consequences!

Thanks again.

Atul
----------------
Atul Sharma,
Winnipeg, Canada
msfry

Post by msfry »

ASharma wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 3:59 pm I had assumed that there was some technical glitch, illness, etc.
Since you are new, let me help set your expectations. I can usually PL within 3 days because I'm retired, but it can take a lot longer with volunteers doing this part time while working, raising kids, travelling, or as one hobby among many. But believe me, every reader appreciates a PL within a day! And, it inspires more productivity. :P
. . . survival in the face of radiation exposure has been studied in insect species. Where a dose of more than 800 rads is almost always fatal for humans, a formal study of immature German cockroaches showed similar fatality rates at doses of 6400 rads! Some insect species are even more resilient, surviving doses of more than 50,000 rads with no apparent consequences!
Just as I suspected, one day cockroaches will inherit the earth. I am glad they are being studied. Maybe they are crunchy, nutritious and delicious. Meanwhile it does not bother me one bit to eradicate as many as I can from my kitchen.

Meanwhile, if you find another essay, please send it along. Or maybe you'll find a short story to put in one of our collections. The Coffee Breaks are very popular with listeners, each story no longer than 15 minutes, perfect for short commutes.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Here is a short one for the collection if acceptable. It is from a collection of philosophical pieces:

All Things Are Possible, Part 1, no. 79
by Lev Shestov, translated by S. S. Koteliansky
published 1920

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_allthingspossible179_shestov_sws_128kb.mp3
4:31

text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57369

Cheers!
scotty
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's a satiric essay I remember from my university days, and that I think would fit well here: "A Modest Proposal" by Dr. Jonathan Swift.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/essays1_modestproposal_swift_wja_128kb.mp3 (22:05)

Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1080

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Scott and Winnie. I look forward to listening soon!
In fact, I think I'll use these two submissions to demo my "duplicate trick" on tomorrow's scheduled 1st Mondays Zoom session. 11 a.m. CST :)
Winnie is hosting. Scott, you should swing by to make sure I treat you right!
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82027916692?pwd=bitRQ1htWnB4NkJPa0wxYzQ2YjdoQT09
Meeting ID: 820 2791 6692
Passcode: 742746
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Sounds good, Michele! I may not be able to make the meeting tomorrow unfortunately but of course am happy if that recording is useful in any way! :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

All Things Are Possible is PL OK. How clever, how true.

I perused a few of the other entries, they all seem pithy and clever, and I think this book would make a splendid addition to the LV Collection. We have nothing else by this author. If you should choose to put up this project as a solo, perhaps grouping 10 essays together per section, I'd be happy to DPL it for you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

A Modest Proposal is PL OK. Good job, of course! Thank you.

You listed for Zoom discussion "what's the weirdest thing we ever recorded"? Well, this one is "the weirdest text I've ever listened to". I was thoroughly shocked, and am still upset, even if Swift's proposal was meant as sarcasm. Perhaps he meant it to engender sympathy for our slaughtering pigs and cows without ill conscience. Or maybe he was just calling attention to the problems of poverty. Whatever, it is a most disturbing essay.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

msfry wrote: November 6th, 2023, 2:00 pm A Modest Proposal is PL OK. Good job, of course! Thank you.

You listed for Zoom discussion "what's the weirdest thing we ever recorded"? Well, this one is "the weirdest text I've ever listened to". I was thoroughly shocked, and am still upset, even if Swift's proposal was meant as sarcasm. Perhaps he meant it to engender sympathy for our slaughtering pigs and cows without ill conscience. Or maybe he was just calling attention to the problems of poverty. Whatever, it is a most disturbing essay.
Thanks.

Actually, his main aim was to engender sympathy for the Irish poor, dying of starvation by the thousands, which was being ignored by the English who governed them and who could have helped. It was definitely meant to be disturbing. I believe it had some positive effect. It’s held up as a model of sarcastic wit in literature, even now.
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

msfry wrote: November 6th, 2023, 1:47 pm All Things Are Possible is PL OK. How clever, how true.

I perused a few of the other entries, they all seem pithy and clever, and I think this book would make a splendid addition to the LV Collection. We have nothing else by this author. If you should choose to put up this project as a solo, perhaps grouping 10 essays together per section, I'd be happy to DPL it for you.
Thank you! I liked it too, though I didn't totally understand a lot of it. :) I think someone did a solo of this before though.
Cheers!
scotty
msfry

Post by msfry »

iBeScotty wrote: November 6th, 2023, 6:13 pm Thank you! I liked it too, though I didn't totally understand a lot of it. :) I think someone did a solo of this before though.
Cheers!
scotty
Oh, yes, Expatriate. One of my early LV faves, alas long gone, who read a lot of philosophical material. I shall have to take a listen to this solo some time. Odd, I didn't see it the first time I searched for it.