COMPLETE[Historical Fiction] Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

fliss7 wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:42 pm CoudI claim Chapter 1 please?
Absolutely, and thank you! Chapter 1 is assigned to you. :D
fliss7

Post by fliss7 »

Okay, it’s a chapter with a great deal of dialogue, all male voices. Do you mind if I lower the pitch 10% - 20% for the male voices? I will be the only reader, but I am hopeless at doing accents or other voices.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

fliss7 wrote: April 15th, 2023, 12:01 pm Okay, it’s a chapter with a great deal of dialogue, all male voices. Do you mind if I lower the pitch 10% - 20% for the male voices? I will be the only reader, but I am hopeless at doing accents or other voices.
Don't mind at all, that's a style decision, completely up to you. Some folks read everything, including character dialogue, in their own natural voice, while others modify pitch, rate, or accent, whether "manually" or by editing. So long as I can understand what you're saying, there won't be an issue. :mrgreen:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ashtonhoffman wrote: April 13th, 2023, 11:05 am chapter 3 ready for PLing 40:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_3_henty_128kb.mp3
Thanks for reading chapter 3! Sorry for the delay in PL, but I do have some notes for you. There are some places where words are skipped that would change the meaning, or where a listener will probably not hear the word well enough to understand.

I'll give my notes in reverse order, so you can edit one without budging the timestamps on the rest. I put the phrase or sentence in quotes, so that you can easily search for it in the text. Again, you're welcome to replace or insert individual words, or to re-take the whole sentence, or passage, whatever sounds right to you.

@38:06, "He knows quite as much Latin as is required, in an importer of wines." I don't hear the "in an".
@37:11, "my correspondent writes cautiously, but in his last letter", it sounds like the "L" in "last" is cut off.
@36:48, "and the same objection would arise in his case; and moreover", I hear "would arise in the case of- and moreover"
@28:39, "I was so afraid the regiment might be sent either to America, or India." I hear "Africa or India".
@29:29, "I am very pleased. There are so many places where there is fighting going on," I hear "I am very pleased that there are so many places...", which has a different meaning.
@29:00, "and tried to take up the cudgels in his defence." I hear "and tired" instead of "and tried".
@21:49, "I ain't a-going to bear no longer with the insults of this boy, and of the person" I hear "spare" instead of "bear", and I don't hear the "and" in "and of".
@18:54, "Bob had noticed that she had already opened a basket on her lap, and had partaken of liquid refreshment.", I hear "but" instead of "Bob", and "liquid" doesn't sound quite right.
@11:06.5, "Bob knew well enough that it", this paragraph is missing.
@07:48, "Captain Langton is here, too." I hear "Captain Langert".
@05:01, "allow you to go down by the stage, this afternoon," it sounds like "stage" is cut off.
@04:16, "assumed a stolid expression;" I hear "solid".
@03:25, "Now I am going to begin at that wretched counting house." I hear "begin to" rather than "begin at".
File name: when you upload again, could I have you make the chapter number double-digit by adding a 0? We'll want it to be like this:
heldfastforengland_03_henty_128kb.mp3

This is a book with plenty of long chapters, so it's not surprising to have a list of corrections to make. Thank you for volunteering your time and voice, and I hope these fixes are easy for you to make. I know I've got a lot of practice from making fixes on my own recordings. :wink:
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

Thanks for reading chapter 3! Sorry for the delay in PL, but I do have some notes for you. There are some places where words are skipped that would change the meaning, or where a listener will probably not hear the word well enough to understand.

I'll give my notes in reverse order, so you can edit one without budging the timestamps on the rest. I put the phrase or sentence in quotes, so that you can easily search for it in the text. Again, you're welcome to replace or insert individual words, or to re-take the whole sentence, or passage, whatever sounds right to you.

@38:06, "He knows quite as much Latin as is required, in an importer of wines." I don't hear the "in an".
@37:11, "my correspondent writes cautiously, but in his last letter", it sounds like the "L" in "last" is cut off.
@36:48, "and the same objection would arise in his case; and moreover", I hear "would arise in the case of- and moreover"
@28:39, "I was so afraid the regiment might be sent either to America, or India." I hear "Africa or India".
@29:29, "I am very pleased. There are so many places where there is fighting going on," I hear "I am very pleased that there are so many places...", which has a different meaning.
@29:00, "and tried to take up the cudgels in his defence." I hear "and tired" instead of "and tried".
@21:49, "I ain't a-going to bear no longer with the insults of this boy, and of the person" I hear "spare" instead of "bear", and I don't hear the "and" in "and of".
@18:54, "Bob had noticed that she had already opened a basket on her lap, and had partaken of liquid refreshment.", I hear "but" instead of "Bob", and "liquid" doesn't sound quite right.
@11:06.5, "Bob knew well enough that it", this paragraph is missing.
@07:48, "Captain Langton is here, too." I hear "Captain Langert".
@05:01, "allow you to go down by the stage, this afternoon," it sounds like "stage" is cut off.
@04:16, "assumed a stolid expression;" I hear "solid".
@03:25, "Now I am going to begin at that wretched counting house." I hear "begin to" rather than "begin at".
File name: when you upload again, could I have you make the chapter number double-digit by adding a 0? We'll want it to be like this:
heldfastforengland_03_henty_128kb.mp3

This is a book with plenty of long chapters, so it's not surprising to have a list of corrections to make. Thank you for volunteering your time and voice, and I hope these fixes are easy for you to make. I know I've got a lot of practice from making fixes on my own recordings. :wink:
[/quote]

all fixed :D 40:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_03_henty_128kb.mp3
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Excellent! Well edited, file name is correct, and chapter 3 is now PL OK! :thumbs:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Todd: I've updated the summary in the first post. While the author's preface focuses on the siege itself, readers and listeners may want to hear more about our hero. :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you for telling me. I have updated the summary in the MW database. (It gets set up when the project starts, but does not automatically update if you change the first post summary.)

Thanks, Todd
fliss7

Post by fliss7 »

I have recorded and edited about a third of this so far and should finish in a few days or later next week.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! Thanks for checking in. :D
fliss7

Post by fliss7 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_01_128kb.mp3

Hi, i have uploaded Chapter One and it is 48:25s long.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

fliss7 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:10 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_01_128kb.mp3

Thank you! I'll PL soon. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

fliss7 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:10 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_01_128kb.mp3

Thank you for reading, and I can tell you've put in some work on the special voice effects! That made this chapter especially fun to listen to. 8-)

I do have some notes for you, starting with the volume. It was quite a bit below the usual volume for LV recordings. I was able to amplify it enough to listen, but it's possible that's the source of nearly all my other notes. :oops:

In reverse order, for ease of editing:
@39:03, "Jackson, you stand guard...", this line is quieter than what's around it, making it hard to hear at a comfortable volume for the rest of the chapter.
@32:06, "Now we ain't going to waste...", I'm not sure why, but the voice effect on this one sounds more "choppy" and harder to understand than the other dialogue lines.
@10:37, "A man should always be calm...", it's got a muffled tone as described, but the volume is again a bit lower than the rest.
@0:26, there's a repeat of "Chapter 1, Something Like an Adventure"
fliss7

Post by fliss7 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will lwork on te points asap
fliss7

Post by fliss7 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_01_128kb.mp3

You may prefer i re-record @32:36 but I was attempting a thick, nasal East End (London) dialect of an uneducated brute. That's probably why it's choppy but if it's still unclear, no problem to redo it. I have edited the other points.
Thanks