Complete [Memoir] Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MeredithWomacCook

Post by MeredithWomacCook »

Ack! I've really dropped the ball here, haven't I?😬

Thanks so much for the nudge -- life got crazy and librivox slipped between the cracks. But I would still like to stay on the project if that's okay with everyone. I think I can start plugging away at it again soon, with the new goal of September 2024.

Happy New Year!
Meredith Womac Cook
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

MeredithWomacCook wrote: January 6th, 2024, 10:40 am Ack! I've really dropped the ball here, haven't I?😬
Thanks so much for the nudge -- life got crazy and librivox slipped between the cracks. But I would still like to stay on the project if that's okay with everyone. I think I can start plugging away at it again soon, with the new goal of September 2024.
Happy New Year!
Glad to hear from you! I look forward to doing more PLing on this project. It's really good! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
MeredithWomacCook

Actually...

I'm so sorry to do a 180 overnight, and I'm especially disappointed to be a failed librivox reader... but I think I am going to quit now before I dig my hole any deeper.😓 .... As much as I hate to give up some of my commitments and activities, including my plans to record audiobooks, I am thankful that I have other jobs and hobbies that I should be able to continue for years.\
I'm personally sorry to you both, Amy and Betsy, and I wish you all the best in librivox, life, and the new year.

Meredith
Meredith Womac Cook
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Meredith,
You've done a great job here and not being able to have it part of your life any longer isn't a failure. You are a pleasure to work with.
I'm sorry about your diagnosis.
Best of luck with everything. Thank you for your kind words.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Hi Meredith -

I am very sorry for what you are facing. Things like this that upset our lives are very tough. I have enjoyed the little bit of work that you and I have done and am sorry not to listen to your readings in the future. I hope that you are able to find other things to do that bring you happiness. Just a thought: If you wish to stay in the Librivox family, PLing doesn't require your voice at all, but keeps one deeply engaged. Maybe something to consider in the future that you can manage. In the meantime, I send you gentle hugs.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
MeredithWomacCook

BetsyWalker wrote: January 9th, 2024, 10:11 am If you wish to stay in the Librivox family, PLing doesn't require your voice at all, but keeps one deeply engaged. Maybe something to consider in the future that you can manage. In the meantime, I send you gentle hugs.
What a cool idea, Betsy! Thank you for suggesting it... I had never even thought of doing anything else within Librivox. I look forward to learning more and exploring this!🤗

Meredith
Meredith Womac Cook
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

MeredithWomacCook wrote: January 9th, 2024, 10:15 am
BetsyWalker wrote: January 9th, 2024, 10:11 am If you wish to stay in the Librivox family, PLing doesn't require your voice at all, but keeps one deeply engaged. Maybe something to consider in the future that you can manage. In the meantime, I send you gentle hugs.
What a cool idea, Betsy! Thank you for suggesting it... I had never even thought of doing anything else within Librivox. I look forward to learning more and exploring this!🤗
Meredith
:clap: :clap:
Glad you like the idea! Here's a link for you to read about what's involved. If you have any questions that I might be able to help with, don't be shy!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

I'll take on section 3, The Great Smoky Mountains, if a southern or mountain drawl is not a requirement (I actually tried to 'fake' one amongst some strangers once when I was young, and got only strange looks - I won't do that again!) I know about woods though, and I think I have highlander heritage of sorts, so would enjoy learning more about southern parts.

Thank you,
Brize Crize
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Brize,
No Southern Drawl is required. :lol:
Section 3 is all yours.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 3, The Great Smoky Mountains, attached in 33.24:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_03_kephart_128kb.mp3

I had been worried about not having a proper southern drawl, but my biggest challenge in this chapter was a quotation from a Frenchman...in French, of course! Hope it's passable (if halting) but will take any suggestions, (especially from a genuine Francophone si vous plait). BTw, I noticed this title has an abbreviated version of the L-vox introduction, perhaps intended for the solo recording, though I'm not sure. If we want the full introductory declarations, etc., now that it is a group project, please advise.
Material is a LITTLE BIT encyclopedic in tone, so far, but quite interesting. I'll move on the the next chapter if you like, 4 - a Bear Hunt in the Smokies.

Thanks,
Brize
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Brize,
I decided to keep the Soloist shorter disclaimer for consistency with this one. Thanks for asking.
I will assign you section 4.
Thank you for section 3!
-Amy
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:55 am Section 3, The Great Smoky Mountains, attached in 33.24:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/oursouthernhighlanders_03_kephart_128kb.mp3
I had been worried about not having a proper southern drawl, but my biggest challenge in this chapter was a quotation from a Frenchman...in French, of course! Hope it's passable (if halting) but will take any suggestions, (especially from a genuine Francophone si vous plait). BTw, I noticed this title has an abbreviated version of the L-vox introduction, perhaps intended for the solo recording, though I'm not sure. If we want the full introductory declarations, etc., now that it is a group project, please advise.
Material is a LITTLE BIT encyclopedic in tone, so far, but quite interesting. I'll move on the the next chapter if you like, 4 - a Bear Hunt in the Smokies.
Thanks,
Brize
Hi Brize -

Mostly this is a fine reading. I have two issues - one being the French sentence. (At 8:52 – 9:13) It has a lot of mispronunciation. If it were just a matter of reading French with an American accent, I wouldn't mention it. but there is much that is really just incorrect. Try using this link to access “Google Translate”. In this page, I’ve inserted the text into box on the left side. If you click the icon of the small speaker at the lower left corner, the sentence will be read for you in French. No expectation to get it perfect, but I think the words need to be recognizable. I hope this will help. I do speak French and it really jumped out at me. I think any listener who speaks French actually won't understand you as is.
http://tinyurl.com/yta9f8zd

The other item is easy-peasy! (Yay!!)
@23:45
Written “Locust Ridge”
Spoken “Laurel Ridge”

If there is some way I can assist you with the French, please reach out.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

BetsyWalker wrote: January 15th, 2024, 5:07 pm Hi Brize -

Mostly this is a fine reading. I have two issues - one being the French sentence. (At 8:52 – 9:13) It has a lot of mispronunciation. If it were just a matter of reading French with an American accent, I wouldn't mention it. but there is much that is really just incorrect. Try using this link to access “Google Translate”. In this page, I’ve inserted the text into box on the left side. If you click the icon of the small speaker at the lower left corner, the sentence will be read for you in French. No expectation to get it perfect, but I think the words need to be recognizable. I hope this will help. I do speak French and it really jumped out at me. I think any listener who speaks French actually won't understand you as is.
http://tinyurl.com/yta9f8zd

The other item is easy-peasy! (Yay!!)
@23:45
Written “Locust Ridge”
Spoken “Laurel Ridge”

If there is some way I can assist you with the French, please reach out.

Betsy
Merci, Betsy, that 'translator' website has been a great help to supplement my dozen word French vocabulary. Though I THINK I detected a bit of irritation in her voice after I made her repeat it thirty or forty times, (or maybe that was me because I couldn't slow her down or break her into smaller snippets). The last time I was exposed to that much French without subtitles was when I stopped for lunch near Riviere-du-Loup as a youth. (Did a lot of nodding and smiling I recall). If it's still almost unrecognizable, perhaps YOU (or a male francophone if you have one handy) could forward me the section to paste into the recording. Perhaps even sing it so the switch in voices is less jarring. Other than that, I'm not sure how to improve it, short of me spending a few months in small towns along the St. Lawrence (they seem to enjoy it when Americans try to converse with them in French)

Thanks for the quick turnaround, I think I'm going to enjoy this title. Three seconds shorter now at 33:21. (I must've been less halting, anyway!)

Thank you,
Brize
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

BrizeCrize wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:13 am Merci, Betsy, that 'translator' website has been a great help to supplement my dozen word French vocabulary. Though I THINK I detected a bit of irritation in her voice after I made her repeat it thirty or forty times, (or maybe that was me because I couldn't slow her down or break her into smaller snippets). The last time I was exposed to that much French without subtitles was when I stopped for lunch near Riviere-du-Loup as a youth. (Did a lot of nodding and smiling I recall). If it's still almost unrecognizable, perhaps YOU (or a male francophone if you have one handy) could forward me the section to paste into the recording. Perhaps even sing it so the switch in voices is less jarring. Other than that, I'm not sure how to improve it, short of me spending a few months in small towns along the St. Lawrence (they seem to enjoy it when Americans try to converse with them in French)
Thanks for the quick turnaround, I think I'm going to enjoy this title. Three seconds shorter now at 33:21. (I must've been less halting, anyway!)
Thank you,
Brize
Much better Brize. A few things off, but recognizable. So I think it's a go! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

BetsyWalker wrote: January 17th, 2024, 10:24 am
Much better Brize. A few things off, but recognizable. So I think it's a go! - Betsy
Don't interpret my tongue-in-cheek comment about the need to immerse myself in small-town Quebec as meaning I don't want to fix it anymore Betsy- just that my inexperience is a hindrance, particularly in a longer passage such as this one. If you have any specific words or groups that are particularly off, fire away! Quality is job one with me, and the satisfaction comes from thinking that somebody (even fluent Francophones) will enjoy listening and not be the least irritated by my delivery. The next chapter is more in my wheelhouse, language-wise, I think. Thanks.