COMPLETE[PLAY]The Princess and the Butterfly by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TallyTiger wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:24 pm Can I claim Mrs Marsh?

I have posted my 1 minute test, but Annie Mars said that I should play her mum, especially since I actually am!

Tally
Welcome to Drama Central at Librivo. Glad to have you here.

What reader name would you like to use on the catalog pages? Your forum name (that's what I do) or something else?

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer (the stuff about "Librivox recording ... or to volunteer ...etc), this will be done by the narrator. Instead, just record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Mrs. Marsh, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character (ha - no one does this), but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
dianahkennedy

Post by dianahkennedy »

Interested in Mrs. Sabiston please, acts 1 & 2. Assuming dialects requested.
Username to be read as "DianaHKennedy"
Please use Diana Helen Kennedy as voice credit - thank you!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Sir Robert Chichele act 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirrobertchichele_5.mp3

Having finished one bit part can I claim a couple of others:
St Roche act 2
Faulding act 4
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

dianahkennedy wrote: March 12th, 2021, 7:51 pm Interested in Mrs. Sabiston please, acts 1 & 2. Assuming dialects requested.
Welcome. You will see some helpful hints for drama recording in a posting a few above this. Were you given the addiction warning?

I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in ANY part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different from how I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.

Recently someone playing an English Lady recorded here without using an English accent, then had second thoughts as they posted it. So she came up with a story that she was one of those American heiresses that married into the English nobility, providing the money for fixing up the old wreck of a castle. And thus explaining her recording with an American accent. That worked fine for me....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:10 pmHere are the three acts for Annis Marsh (yes, read by Annie Mars, surprisingly a bit of a tongue twister...)
haha, what a funny coincidence with the name ! And now I see your mum has also joined the cast, how cool is that ! 8-)

Annis is lovely, but oh so scared compared to Fay :lol: you'll be a perfect contrast to each other. Looking forward to those dialogues.

Act 5 is straight PL ok, but I found a couple of missed lines in the other acts:

Act 1:
> at about 4:15: (p. 9) please insert: "The day after tomorrow !"

Act 2:
> at about 1:55: (p. 147) please insert: "Thank you for allowing me to come down tonight, Princess."

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Sir Robert, the perfect gallant to his Winnie, is also PL ok. Thank you, Alan.

Sonia
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Kitty wrote: March 10th, 2021, 5:42 am thank you David :) Levan is quite a likeable character, sorry he had such a short part.

Could you only edit these two small bits please:

> at 1:07: (p. 83) repeat "Confound the thing..." etc. You have two versions here, please only keep the one you prefer

> at about 1:40: (p. 83) missed ALL line: "No, no !"

thank you

Sonia
Thank you for picking up on my errors, Sonia! Here is the corrected file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_levan_2.mp3 2:04
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

If I may, I would like to read the stage direction for all acts. Please confirm.

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Salvationist wrote:Thank you for picking up on my errors, Sonia! Here is the corrected file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_levan_2.mp3 2:04

Here's the old people:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_oldpeople_5.mp3 16 seconds
some roles I wonder why they are even created, just for such a tiny appearance :lol: but thank you, David, for stepping in here and giving us a great French accent. :thumbs: Both parts are PL ok (though Old people comes only in at 83 dB...I'll make a note for Todd. May only be because of the long silence)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Sir George?

Thanks!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:21 amMay I claim Sir George?
it's a great role, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself ! Thanks, Greg.

Sonia