[COMPLETE] Insomnia Collection Vol. 5 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: September 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm
TriciaG wrote: September 30th, 2020, 3:11 pm
maxgal wrote: September 30th, 2020, 2:40 pm OOO!!!
I could do something from the Catechism...
Probably Chapter VIII: Capers, Almonds, Oranges, Lemons, Citrons, Limes, Olives, Oils, Melons, Tamarinds, & Dates.
It's about 2700 words, so that's a good 30 minutes or more from this slooooowwww reader that I am, even when I'm trying to sound exciting. :lol:
...O, and I think I'll omit the illustration caption ("Beavers Building Their Huts")... though no one might notice one way or the other.
If you can make it that long, go for it! Or is the next chapter such that you could include it as well, to be sure it's long enough?
I certainly can make it that long. 8-)
But if we want to be super-sure, I can cordon off Chapter IX as well...
So everyone else, keep your grubby paws off Chapter IX. :evil:

OK, so I might just be compelled to do Chapter IX as well.
It includes this profound Q&A:
Q: What are Shoes?
A: A covering for the foot....
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: October 10th, 2020, 3:02 pm Isn't it ruddy marvellous when my steamiest scene ever is guaranteed to put people to sleep? :roll:

Chapter XII - Manufacture and Maintenance of Steam Engines, from A Catechism of the Steam Engine, by John Bourne C.E.
Text - https://www.gutenberg.org/files/10998/10998-h/10998-h.htm
Duration - 49:34
MP3 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_catechismofthesteamengine_bourne_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
This is great (and PL OK), aside from one question:

In the outro, you say "End of A Catechism of the Steam Engine" - should this be instead, "End of Chapter 12 of A Catechism of the Steam Engine"?

If it should be that, but you can't match your calm, placid tone, then don't worry about it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Ready for Spot-PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_catechismofthesteamengine_bourne_128kb.mp3

Isn't Perry Coma's label going to be a bit miffed at you muscling in on his racket? :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Spot checked, PL OK. Thanks!

They haven't come after me yet...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Here is my first attempt at a soporific recording – I hope that it might be of help for some of our insomnia afflicted listeners ...

• Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_churchwardensaccountsbook1_candler_128kb.mp3

• Story Name: The Churchwardens’ Accounts – Book No: 1 From 1573 to 1699

• Author: Charles Candler (1861 – 1931)

• Source: https://archive.org/details/notesonparishofr00rede/mode/2up
• (Chapter 7 - Part)

• Length: 69:35

With two or three minor exceptions, I have not included anything written by the author. I have however, provided a short initial introduction written by some later church-wardens to give a brief summary of the recording but have mostly concentrated on the accounts themselves.

Abbreviations and idiosyncratic spellings abound in this chapter and I have tried in each case to provide the best pronunciation (whether modern or of the time) to fit the text. Occasionally a real gem appears, such as: Ite layde owt to the glashere for glashinge of the wynderes – which could easily have come from the pen of Chaucer - more than two hundred years before!

Having grown up in the area, Redenhall church was a well known building and is still one of the most prominent and imposing landmarks located along the Waveney Valley.

It was appealing to find something to record where I could relate personally to the subject written about. It was also interesting to be transported back to the time of my early schooldays, when pounds, shillings and pence were still the order of everyday life and to remember arithmetic lessons in junior school based on this currency.

And don’t get me started on learning about rods, poles, perches and the like; otherwise I’ll never get any other recording done today! :)

If anyone should be interested in finding out a little bit more about Redenhall Church then this link would be a good starting point:

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/redenhall/redenhall.htm

Steve
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!
With two or three minor exceptions, I have not included anything written by the author. I have however, provided a short initial introduction written by some later church-wardens to give a brief summary of the recording but have mostly concentrated on the accounts themselves.
This confuses me: "With two or three minor exceptions, I have not included anything written by the author." Umm... isn't the whole account written by the author? Or are you saying that he compiled the information (like a magazine editor compiles the articles in a magazine) but didn't actually write anything?

"I have however, provided a short initial introduction written by some later church-wardens to give a brief summary of the recording"
Are you saying you included some material not in the link above? Or is it found in a different chapter? I will need clarification (to determine if the additional material is public domain, etc.)
Steve

Post by Steve »

TriciaG wrote: October 18th, 2020, 5:50 am Thanks!
This confuses me: "With two or three minor exceptions, I have not included anything written by the author." Umm... isn't the whole account written by the author? Or are you saying that he compiled the information (like a magazine editor compiles the articles in a magazine) but didn't actually write anything?

"I have however, provided a short initial introduction written by some later church-wardens to give a brief summary of the recording"
Are you saying you included some material not in the link above? Or is it found in a different chapter? I will need clarification (to determine if the additional material is public domain, etc.)
My apologies for the confusion here.

The author did indeed write the whole book including transcribing the original entries made in the Churchwardens' Accounts Book No.1 (1573 - 1699).

I was interested in recording just the part of the chapter relating to the Churchwardens' Accounts Book No.1.

I have essentially not recorded anything that the author wrote himself within chapter 7 apart from maybe a couple of times when he clarified the meaning of a word. The author made numerous notes within the pages of the accounts, which had I read them would have taken me over the 70 minute time limit but more importantly have broken up the flow of reciting what I hoped to be a monotonous list of account entries.

The short initial introduction (written by some later church-wardens) appears at the beginning of chapter 7 and was transcribed by the author from labels that had been appended at a later date to the cover of the Churchwardens' book. I used this text to give a short explanation for the recording that then follows.

X-referencing back to my post from October 1st:
TriciaG wrote: October 1st, 2020, 12:46 pm
Steve wrote: October 1st, 2020, 12:37 pm Hi Tricia

The contribution that I would like to submit to this project is a long list of items / descriptions / values but the author has at various points added various supplementary notes to some of these item entries.

Is it OK to omit these notes (& various footnotes) from the recording as these would tend to make the recording interesting and risk grabbing the listener's attention, which is not really what we want to achieve?

Thanks

Steve
Footnotes definitely can be omitted. You can probably omit the other supplementary notes as well; it's not easy to tell just from a description of the text, but we've picked and chosen parts of other texts before for these collections, so it is probably okay. :)
I hope that this has clarified the situation but if I need to amend anything, then please let me know.

Cheers

Steve
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh! Okay - yes, this sounds 100% fine. :)

PL will probably come tomorrow...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Churchwardens' Accounts PL OK!

Interesting how often they had to mend the Book of Martyrs, and how often they cleaned the eagle. I had a list of British monarchs open to see which one was being rung on the different occasions! :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

TriciaG wrote: October 19th, 2020, 11:29 am Churchwardens' Accounts PL OK!
Thanks for that Tricia.
Interesting how often they had to mend the Book of Martyrs, and how often they cleaned the eagle. I had a list of British monarchs open to see which one was being rung on the different occasions! :lol:
I noticed as well how frequently the Book of Martyrs appeared in the accounts as well. A nice little earner for the clasp and chain makers of the day!

The other entries that stuck out for me were for the number of Irish folk that were given help. I would hazard a guess that they travelled to Norfolk to seek seasonal agricultural work.

Anyway, I hope that this section might help a few of our listeners. :)

Cheers

Steve
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'm not sure how to title and end my recording. I was looking through the "Historical Collections of the Essex Institute" and found the writings of a doctor who traveled around New England basically knocking on doors and asking residents about the history of their houses, property and families. Each one started with "continued from" some previous issue and ended with "to be continued". I traced back and back and back through multiple issues (he appeared in 2-3 issues per year for several years!) til I found the original one. This I recorded. I may record more segments for this or another insomnia collection, but may not. The article ends with "to be continued". Should I call it "part 1" in case there are further recordings (and number those too) (the titles don't include part numbers) and include the "to be continued" at the end, even if it may not be?

Don't know why I'm fussing about this when it's highly unlikely that anyone will make it to the end of this awake and be eager for more, but you never know...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Would calling it "Excerpt from..." work? Or, you could say "First part of..." (rather than part 1)?

Are you going to do more than one of the articles, so that in the middle of the section you'll have "to be continued" and "continued from"? If so, adding the "to be continued" at the end would sound natural, I think.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Excerpt from is perfect, because (esp as far as insomnia listening goes) you don’t have to listen to all of them or listen in any order. And if I do record additional ones in another collection or whatever, I can just continue calling them “excerpt from”. That handles the “to be continued” issue since it’s not needed if it’s an excerpt.

Thanks Tricia!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Excerpt from A Genealogical-Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass., in the Year 1863 by Alfred Poore, M.D. (1818-1907)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_genealogicalvisit_poore_128kb.mp3

47:23

Source: https://archive.org/details/sim_peabody-essex-museum-collections_1912-07_48_3/page/n81/mode/2up

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay - thank you! :)