COMPLETE [Fortnightly Poem] Men I'm Not Married To, by Dorothy Parker - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I just posted a "General Comments" posting in this forum and now, it is not showing up.
Has something happened? Where did it go?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hmmm. Sorry you are having trouble, Bill. Perhaps you saved it as a draft, in which case it would be in your User Control Panel. Or you quit the forum without hitting Submit. I've lost posts before too. Thus I usually copy them before submitting in case something goes wrong. Maybe David can help.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

williamjones wrote: July 6th, 2018, 10:01 am I just posted a "General Comments" posting in this forum and now, it is not showing up.
Which forum is "this forum"? You're in a thread in one of the three "Readers Wanted" forums we have.

ETA: I don't think you're allowed to start a new topic in our "Readers Wanted" forums. Threads are transferred here from the launchpad by admins.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

tovarisch wrote: July 6th, 2018, 11:05 am
williamjones wrote: July 6th, 2018, 10:01 am I just posted a "General Comments" posting in this forum and now, it is not showing up.
Which forum is "this forum"? You're in a thread in one of the three "Readers Wanted" forums we have.

ETA: I don't think you're allowed to start a new topic in our "Readers Wanted" forums. Threads are transferred here from the launchpad by admins.
I don't know the difference between "Thread" and "forum" apparently. My question was about this thread/forum/whatever:
[Fortnightly Poem] Men I'm Not Married To, by Dorothy Parker - dl
I am fairly new to LV in general and the internal structures decidedly.
Я не знаю, что нужно делать.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

A forum (a bulletin board) is a collection of threads (topics). In some forums you can start new topics, like in "Off-topic" or "Need Help?", and in some forums (like any of our "Readers Wanted") you should not be able to start a new topic/thread.

Now, speaking of any of our three "Readers Wanted" forums/boards... In any of the existing threads you can post a reply. However, you won't be able to change the subject.

So, if you need to ask a question about this particular project, post a reply and type your question in the body and submit.

Where the message goes when it does not appear as you expect it, I am not sure. A bit-bucket, perhaps... Or a byte-bucket... :wink:
tovarisch
grs2905

Post by grs2905 »

msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 6th, 2018, 11:17 am
tovarisch wrote: July 6th, 2018, 11:05 am

I don't know the difference between "Thread" and "forum" apparently. My question was about this thread/forum/whatever:
[Fortnightly Poem] Men I'm Not Married To, by Dorothy Parker - dl
I am fairly new to LV in general and the internal structures decidedly.
Я не знаю, что нужно делать.
It does take awhile to learn your way around, and this is a large site with many forums. Some are conversational, others informational. And then there are the book Projects (like this one), a forum where you can't open new threads or topics. I was a little thrown myself with your saying you had posted a "General Comments Posting in this forum". I presumed you meant that was the opening line of your post. If it was a Subject line, you can open a new thread or topic in the Help forums, so possibly your post went there.
Yes, the nomenclature (forum, thread, post, project) is still sometimes confusing. We do our best to communicate, but patience is required. Alas, none of this finds your missing post. Perhaps you could repost it?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

General Comments on this Dorothy Parker poem:
It seems clear to me that this poem is a VALENTINE to her husband. It corresponds to the Dadaist painting in which the artist took a white canvas, and with black paint covered the whole area except for a blank area that is clearly a pipe. He titled the painting "This is not a pipe". Indeed, he painted most of the canvas's surface, but what he painted was NOT the shape of a pipe.

Similarly, Parker here talks about OTHER men in a disparaging manner: she calls THEM boys; she highlights THEIR commonness; mentions THEIR uninspiring looks, re-words the common expression "... only a mother could love!"; and decries THEIR shallow and vapid lives. Finally she predicts that THEY would, in a marriage with her, be stressed out by trying to live up to her expectations and run away ("... tender me the air...").

By indirect reference, she implies that at the end of each quatrain there is a "...except for MY husband".
Essentially, she is saying "My husband is good, my husband is great: Yaaaay my husband!! - and to hell with all those mediocre guys."
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I've re-uploaded with corrections. Same length. Please PL. Thanks.
tovarisch
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 6th, 2018, 1:32 pm General Comments on this Dorothy Parker poem:
It seems clear to me that this poem is a VALENTINE to her husband. It corresponds to the Dadaist painting in which the artist took a white canvas, and with black paint covered the whole area except for a blank area that is clearly a pipe. He titled the painting "This is not a pipe". Indeed, he painted most of the canvas's surface, but what he painted was NOT the shape of a pipe.

Similarly, Parker here talks about OTHER men in a disparaging manner: she calls THEM boys; she highlights THEIR commonness; mentions THEIR uninspiring looks, re-words the common expression "... only a mother could love!"; and decries THEIR shallow and vapid lives. Finally she predicts that THEY would, in a marriage with her, be stressed out by trying to live up to her expectations and run away ("... tender me the air...").

By indirect reference, she implies that at the end of each quatrain there is a "...except for MY husband".
Essentially, she is saying "My husband is good, my husband is great: Yaaaay my husband!! - and to hell with all those mediocre guys."
Ah. A unique interpretation. My vanity is no doubt what instructs me to view her meaning that anybody who got to know me well enough to marry me, would think I'm special and cherish me. I hadn't thought about the stress of my expectations. :(
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:29 pm
williamjones wrote: July 6th, 2018, 1:32 pm General Comments on this Dorothy Parker poem:

Ah. A unique interpretation. My vanity is no doubt what instructs me to view her meaning that anybody who got to know me well enough to marry me, would think I'm special and cherish me. I hadn't thought about the stress of my expectations. :(
I think that something like that happened to me, my ownself, once.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Michele -

Here's my attempt -

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/notmarried_parker_ps_128kb.mp3
Track length: 1:31
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
msfry

Post by msfry »

Fritz, tovarisch and GRS poems are all PL AOK.

Why can't I have a charming foreign accent? :(
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Thanks, Michele. You just need to study a foreign language. The native speakers would probably find your accent charming. :wink: My wife studied both French and Spanish. People in Panama thought her French accented Spanish was charming. :lol:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
msfry

Post by msfry »

pschempf wrote: July 7th, 2018, 8:40 am Thanks, Michele. You just need to study a foreign language. The native speakers would probably find your accent charming. :wink: My wife studied both French and Spanish. People in Panama thought her French accented Spanish was charming. :lol:
Oh, I have to speak a foreign language with an American accent to have a foreign accent! I never thought of that. However, I hear French people don't find Americans speaking their language charming! Not sure about what Spanish, Polish, Russians, etc., think.

Or maybe you meant, I should learn to speak French without an accent, then my English would sound more French? I am so confused, I think I'll just stick with things the way they are and bluff my way through. :lol: