COMPLETE: [DRAM.READ] DR Scenes and Stories, Vol 1 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

I was wondering if you think a DR of Frederik Pohl's short story - "The Tunnel Under the World" - would be appropriate for this collection. It's probably on the long side, and I don't think it would be out of copyright outside of the US, considering that Pohl died just last year, so that might make it more difficult. I do have it all set up though, if you think it would work! I would edit and narrate.

Here's the Project Gutenberg link - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31979/31979-h/31979-h.htm
It was originally published in 1955, in Galaxy Science Fiction magazine.

The script, in two parts -

Part one (with some basic character descriptions) - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RgxSXwAFjh02iR6B1hjizGhR7TnRcyoGgPG1XwykXEc/edit?usp=sharing

Part two - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r3GEd6nt6j_XzNZdfm0cI2WTpSPw3wgBXJQVQGrKi6o/edit?usp=sharing

Frederik Pohl's wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Pohl - He died in 2013
The Tunnel Under the World - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tunnel_under_the_World

The story has eight characters, including the narrator. In order of part size they would be --

Narrator
Guy Burckhardt
April Horn/Janet
Swanson
Mr. Dorchin
Mary Burckhardt
Cigarette seller/Advertiser
Miss Mitkin

(Mary and Miss Mitkin are only in the first part of the script)

If you don't think it would fit in this collection, that's fine! I'll just save it for another time :)

Best,
Sarah
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I think this story fits in fine, and I have added it.

Thanks, Todd
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Elizabby wrote:
Hobbit wrote:Beth, do you want gender-specific casting for "A Scandal in Bohemia"? If not I would love to be Holmes.
I'm not looking for gender specific casting, no, but I was planning to read Sherlock Holmes myself. If you want to do an accent you can have the King of Bohemia? If not Godfrey Norton, Irene's maid and the Bystander are still open.
Though I enjoy doing accents, my German one is pretty bad, so I don't think I'd better try the King. I'll take Norton (British I can do.)
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hobbit wrote:
Elizabby wrote:
Hobbit wrote:Beth, do you want gender-specific casting for "A Scandal in Bohemia"? If not I would love to be Holmes.
I'm not looking for gender specific casting, no, but I was planning to read Sherlock Holmes myself. If you want to do an accent you can have the King of Bohemia? If not Godfrey Norton, Irene's maid and the Bystander are still open.
Though I enjoy doing accents, my German one is pretty bad, so I don't think I'd better try the King. I'll take Norton (British I can do.)
Thanks!

Todd
Haili73

Post by Haili73 »

I'd love to take section 3, Marilla Cuthbert.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Haili73 wrote:I'd love to take section 3, Marilla Cuthbert.
Thanks!

Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by etel13 »

Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Just a quick question here Todd, am I supposed to PL the sections that come in for the story I am BCing, or not? I would love to, only I can't do my own of course! Thanks!
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Trotsa wrote:Just a quick question here Todd, am I supposed to PL the sections that come in for the story I am BCing, or not? I would love to, only I can't do my own of course! Thanks!
You should PL all the sections as quickly as possible when they come in. Do not wait until you have all the inputs for your scene or story. It can be hard to track down readers later on in a project, or they may have different recording setups that make it hard to match previous voices.

If you record a role in your own offering, You should ask another reader on your offering to PL your stuff - though it is not vital since each complete offering needs an independent PL. (I have the ~ in the title line cuz I'm hoping there will be a DPL for all the completed scenes and stories.)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks!

Todd
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Mr. Linton is PL OK! Thanks Algy Pug, you did such a good job, I just had to laugh when I was listening to it, it sounded so real! :D
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

I'm not sure if I'm PLing for "A Scandal in Bohemia" or just editing at the end, but I was free, so I figured I'd give a listen to what was posted :) I also can't get into the MW window to change around PL statuses? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thus far, I've only ever used the MW in the solo project I'm working on, so I don't have much experience!
Dr. Watson sounds fantastic! :D There is only one small change in Part One --

At 1:52, the words "And yet there was but one woman to him" were dropped.

There's also a minor change in Part Two --

At 9:51, the line should read "How did that help you?" rather than "How will that help you?"

It's small, but because of the tense shift, I think it might make sense to change it. Otherwise, great reading!

Thanks!
Sarah
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

Thanks, Etel, sounds great! All the lines are PL OK! :D

Just to mention - the volume on this is veeery slightly low (85.7 dB). I can bump it up a little when I edit everything together, so no need to change anything, but there is a Checker you can download that shows you the overall volume level and checks other LibriVox recording criteria -- you can download it here http://www.cgjennings.ca/checker/. I use it all the time! :)

Best,
Sarah