[COMPLETE] Mr. Moffatt by Chester Cobb-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Something I forgot to mention about Section 8.

Close to the bottom of p.66, you'll see:

“You don't really mean that you're going home to England, are you, John?” she asked. “I can't believe it.”
I can believe it myself,” answered Mr. Moffatt. “But it's the only thing I can see that should be done.”

I'm guessing that 'I can believe it' is a transcription error for 'I can't believe it', as this is the only way it makes sense to me. Anyway, you'll hear both versions at around 18:20, I'll have to delete one. But before I do, I'd much appreciate your opinion on whether you think 'can' is actually right. I haven't come across other potential errors of this kind, but it is a transcription so I guess errors are possible. Unfortunately, I have no access to an original copy to check against.
eggs4ears wrote: November 14th, 2023, 2:53 am Section 8, ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_08_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 22:16
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Notes for section 7 below. And yes! See? Perfectly fine to go with an English accent!

4.45-4.53, bottom p 52, bonus bell noises
Dong!—dong!—dong!—dong! went the bell.
There are four dongs in the text but I think you were giving yourself extra to work with. For what it’s worth, I prefer your version.

12.36, omission, p 55
The whole difficulty of the passage money is solved, Mr. Moffatt's [mind] went on, if you send the picture...
You might be able to use the ‘Mr. Moffatt's mind’ at 12.57, 16.13, 21.17.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Section 7 corrected and ready for spot PL.

On Section 8, I think have managed to locate a hard copy of the book through the university interlibrary loan. I say 'think' because all previous attempts led back to the 'ebook' on the SETIS site. If it is a hard copy book it will take a while to arrive, though.

In passing, I also obtained this not very complimentary review of the book of by L. P. Hartley, no less, from interlibrary loan.

https://archive.org/details/sim_saturday-review-uk_the-saturday-review_1925-12-12_140_3659/page/709/mode/1up

It may look like an IA page, but it came to me neatly packaged up in a PDF, password-protected and with a maximum of 5 views :lol:
Newgatenovelist

Oooh. May I look at the review?

My note for section 8 is the passage you already flagged. No other comments.

I am inclined to think that it should be “I can't believe it myself”, and that that's a mistake in the text.* One of the things that swings it for me is Mr. Moffatt's use of 'But'. As in, 'I can't believe it BUT/nevertheless/in spite of that/however I think that's how it should be'.

*That's not necessarily a reflection on whoever transcribed this. It could be an introduced error, just because the more stages there are in anything the more chances there are for mistakes to slip in. But it could also be that the 1925 printed, physical book had errors as well.
Newgatenovelist

Section 7 is spot PL OK!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

just being hard to live with - it made sense to me

“You don't really mean that you're going home to England, are you, John?” she asked.
“I can't believe it.”
“I CAN believe it myself,” answered Mr. Moffatt. “ BUT it's the only thing I can see that should be done.”

Anne
weird I know but understandable but your explanation is acceptable
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_09_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 15:18 - Ready for PL!

So both 'can' and 'can't' can make sense... I'll wait till I see the original. Yes, it could be a faithful transcription of a mistake in the original. I know we are allowed to correct small errors, but generally I prefer not to and in this case we won't really know if it's a mistake or not.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Erin,

This is a link to the review on IA. It is on p. 709.

They downloaded the PDF version and password protected it. It's an example of the all to common practice of restricting access to PD materials. But they also included the address of the IA page they had got it from.
eggs4ears wrote: November 15th, 2023, 2:46 am In passing, I also obtained this not very complimentary review of the book of by L. P. Hartley, no less, from interlibrary loan.

https://archive.org/details/sim_saturday-review-uk_the-saturday-review_1925-12-12_140_3659/page/709/mode/1up
Newgatenovelist

Section 09 is PL OK. He normally has monkey mind, but it seemed worse than usual in this chapter!
eggs4ears wrote: November 16th, 2023, 4:10 am They downloaded the PDF version and password protected it. It's an example of the all to common practice of restricting access to PD materials. But they also included the address of the IA page they had got it from.
Ah, I misread that. I had thought it was an interlibrary that you later found that someone had put up (from a similar, protected source) on IA. And if it were interlibrary I didn't want to use one of the five permitted views! Well, I hope interlibraries are cheap in your system and no one is getting charged very much for a password-protected pdf cribbed from an open source.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! I was rather impressed by how the chapter was as long as it took him to have a shave :)
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 17th, 2023, 7:38 am Section 09 is PL OK. He normally has monkey mind, but it seemed worse than usual in this chapter!
Section 10 ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_10_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 16;35
Newgatenovelist

One thing for you to check:

12.17-12.23, p 77
...her great white superstructure, and her towering, gently-smoking [heard gently-smoked], yellow funnels.
Up to you. It’s a small change, but I think my first association with ‘smoked’ is more with food and flavouring than visual appearance.

Do you want to talk about Hartley's review or are we waiting until the end?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, I'll change that - it makes me thing of smoked herring now! Meanwhile, here is Section 11 - though you may want to wait for Section 12, which I'll upload tomorrow. They are both short and they really go together.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_11_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 09:58

Happy to talk about the review. It does rather give the game away that this book is not going to be about the picture, but that will be clear enough from this chapter. What strikes me about this book, though, which Hartley doesn't seem to acknowledge is that the technique must have been innovative at the time. It reminds me of Manhattan Transfer, but that was also published in 1925. You'd think he was borrowing it from someone, but if he was, I don't know who.
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 21st, 2023, 12:31 pm One thing for you to check:

12.17-12.23, p 77
...her great white superstructure, and her towering, gently-smoking [heard gently-smoked], yellow funnels.
Up to you. It’s a small change, but I think my first association with ‘smoked’ is more with food and flavouring than visual appearance.

Do you want to talk about Hartley's review or are we waiting until the end?
Newgatenovelist

Notes for the disclaimers, though the main chapters themselves are fine:

Section 11

outro
End of Chapter 4 [heard Chapter 1], Part 1

Section 12

outro
End of Chapter 4 [heard Chapter 1], Part 2

This isn't an 'I told you so', but I did think before reading the review that the named character was going to die (keeping it vague, it's an open forum!). I didn't want to say that because it could have been a spoiler! I guess the review has taken care of that, though. As for the book being about the painting, my guess at this stage is that it's a MacGuffin. Mr. Moffatt thought it was a nuisance but only really valued it when he thought he could get something for it and someone else looked at it approvingly. The painting might end up being the means, but it's not the main part of it. I suspect that honour will go to Mr. Moffatt's personal transformation, assuming he has one.

I'm definitely not a world-renowned expert on the literary use of stream of consciousness. Am I right in thinking that this postdates Ulysses, though? And for all I know there may be other novels or short stories that were a bit earlier in the 20s. Just throwing it out there, because once I start digging even a little I realise how many more questions I've thrown up and how much I don't know!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Sections 10, 11, 12 Ready for spot PL!

Well, I think I was too hasty to say its not about the painting, because he still has it! And the review suggests we should keep an eye on the content of the picture - they did agree it was a symbol of some kind...

I only took an interest in stream of consciousness when I started to record Couperus, so I don't know much about it at all. Ulysses was published in 1922, in Paris, but it seems that it was read in England as well. I haven't read it, but my impression is that the style is a bit different. I believe that Joyce said that he borrowed from Edouard Dujardin's, Les lauriers sont coupés, which I have read and it is similar to Mr. M. in the sense that it follows one person, but different in that Dujardin doesn't really have much of a plot. What I meant by the technique, though, is the way that he jumps around among the different things that Mr. M. is thinking about as well as how he tends to think one thing and say another. I can't think of anything earlier that is such a close study of how people think. But as you say, there could have been no end of people of doing that who have been forgotten about now. I was surprised that L.P. Hartley didn't comment on it, but perhaps that was because it was not so unusual.
Newgatenovelist wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 2:12 pm This isn't an 'I told you so', but I did think before reading the review that the named character was going to die (keeping it vague, it's an open forum!). I didn't want to say that because it could have been a spoiler! I guess the review has taken care of that, though. As for the book being about the painting, my guess at this stage is that it's a MacGuffin. Mr. Moffatt thought it was a nuisance but only really valued it when he thought he could get something for it and someone else looked at it approvingly. The painting might end up being the means, but it's not the main part of it. I suspect that honour will go to Mr. Moffatt's personal transformation, assuming he has one.

I'm definitely not a world-renowned expert on the literary use of stream of consciousness. Am I right in thinking that this postdates Ulysses, though? And for all I know there may be other novels or short stories that were a bit earlier in the 20s. Just throwing it out there, because once I start digging even a little I realise how many more questions I've thrown up and how much I don't know!
Newgatenovelist

Just very quickly today, but more another time:

11 and 12 are spot PL OK but I think with 10 I'm still hearing the same thing.

Also came on to tell you that the latest free DNB is Leslie Stephen, if you want a longer bio over the weekend:
https://www.oxforddnb.com/display/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-36271