COMPLETE:] Witch Stories by Eliza Lynn Linton -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

Kitty wrote: September 13th, 2023, 8:31 am I can go on with 38. Clowts and the Serpent

Sonia
I have assigned you section 38. Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ncdidio wrote: September 13th, 2023, 5:58 pmI have assigned you section 38. Thank you!
thank you, it was a shorty and is already done:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_038_linton_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:41 min.

There was again a final sentence that I left out as it belongs to the next section. I hope MoonLylith has included that one, as he was the reader for that section. The author could have made clearer cuts for the chapters :roll:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I can do another shorty, section 44. The Devil in His Cups (actually it's "his" not "her" - the devil seems to be exclusively male in these stories :mrgreen: )

Sonia
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Two files uploaded to locations:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_063_linton_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_065_linton_128kb.mp3

Section 063 track length with the inclusion of the paragraph atop page 222 is 40:25.
Section 065 track length is 33:40.

There are 20 occurrences of 'Mrs.' and 21 of 'Mr.' in section 065. Usually I'd expand these as 'Missus' and 'Mister'. The thing is that the young and unmarried Throckmorton daughters are at times (occasionally) referenced by the word Miss or Mistress preceding their given names and at other times (frequently) by 'Mrs.' preceding their given names. When (circa 1589 & 1715) the material from which ELL sourced was written, 'Mrs.' would have expressed 'Mistress' which of course at that time was commonly used and did not have some of the negative connotations that is it thought by some to have today (and for quite a while now). All of this is to say that I have read 'Mrs.' as Mistress with an exception or two when their mother was clearly referred to in which case(s) I said 'Missus'. I hope that's okay. I said 'Mister' for 'Mr.' except in the case of young Henry Pickering where I used 'Master' which serves to distinguish him from his father, Mister Pickering, the Throckmorton girls' uncle whose given name is not given (us). Thanks.
Last edited by BrianFullen on September 14th, 2023, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I can make some time to do section 083, The Huntingdon Imps, if that section is still open. Thanks.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:51 am I can do another shorty, section 44. The Devil in His Cups (actually it's "his" not "her" - the devil seems to be exclusively male in these stories :mrgreen: )

Sonia
Sonia,
I did section 57 & it was pl okay. Please see Sept. 7th.
April
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Another great recording. Section 71 is PL ok.
Christine
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

Kitty wrote: September 14th, 2023, 12:42 am
ncdidio wrote: September 13th, 2023, 5:58 pmI have assigned you section 38. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_038_linton_128kb.mp3

There was again a final sentence that I left out as it belongs to the next section. I hope MoonLylith has included that one, as he was the reader for that section. The author could have made clearer cuts for the chapters :roll:

Sonia
Thanks Sonia, received and ready for PL.

MoonLylith did not include it in their section and they were marked as PL OK. If they were to have included it I think it would have been read "The Witches of Auldearne --- and now we come to THE WITCHES OF AULDEARNE and Isobell Gowdie's marvellous confessions". Since it wasn't asked for correction initially I don't know if it's appropriate we go back and ask for adjustment.

What are your thoughts Christine?
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

Kitty wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:51 am I can do another shorty, section 44. The Devil in His Cups (actually it's "his" not "her" - the devil seems to be exclusively male in these stories :mrgreen: )

Sonia
I have assigned you section 44. And I fixed the typo, thanks!
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

BrianFullen wrote: September 14th, 2023, 2:25 pm Two files uploaded to locations:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_063_linton_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_065_linton_128kb.mp3

Section 063 track length with the inclusion of the paragraph atop page 222 is 40:25.
Section 065 track length is 33:40.

There are 20 occurrences of 'Mrs.' and 21 of 'Mr.' in section 065. Usually I'd expand these as 'Missus' and 'Mister'. The thing is that the young and unmarried Throckmorton daughters are at times (occasionally) referenced by the word Miss or Mistress preceding their given names and at other times (frequently) by 'Mrs.' preceding their given names. When (circa 1589 & 1715) the material from which ELL sourced was written, 'Mrs.' would have expressed 'Mistress' which of course at that time was commonly used and did not have some of the negative connotations that is it thought by some to have today (and for quite a while now). All of this is to say that I have read 'Mrs.' as Mistress with an exception or two when their mother was clearly referred to in which case(s) I said 'Missus'. I hope that's okay. I said 'Mister' for 'Mr.' except in the case of young Henry Pickering where I used 'Master' which serves to distinguish him from his father, Mister Pickering, the Throckmorton girls' uncle whose given name is not given (us). Thanks.
Thank you! Received and ready for PL (65) and spot PL (63).

On the pronunciation, I appreciate the research and believe how you've chosen to pronounce the abbreviations should be acceptable as long as the meaning of the story is retained and it does not lead to confusion.
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

BrianFullen wrote: September 14th, 2023, 2:27 pm I can make some time to do section 083, The Huntingdon Imps, if that section is still open. Thanks.
It is still open. I have assigned you section 83.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ncdidio wrote: September 15th, 2023, 7:55 pmMoonLylith did not include it in their section and they were marked as PL OK. If they were to have included it I think it would have been read "The Witches of Auldearne --- and now we come to THE WITCHES OF AULDEARNE and Isobell Gowdie's marvellous confessions". Since it wasn't asked for correction initially I don't know if it's appropriate we go back and ask for adjustment.
do you want me to include it then ? Though the way the original reader said it sounds like a complete sentence as well, maybe it's not so important after all.

and here is the next section:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_044_linton_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:35 min.

Sonia
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

ncdidio wrote: September 15th, 2023, 7:55 pm
Kitty wrote: September 14th, 2023, 12:42 am

Sonia
Thanks Sonia, received and ready for PL.

MoonLylith did not include it in their section and they were marked as PL OK. If they were to have included it I think it would have been read "The Witches of Auldearne --- and now we come to THE WITCHES OF AULDEARNE and Isobell Gowdie's marvellous confessions". Since it wasn't asked for correction initially I don't know if it's appropriate we go back and ask for adjustment.

What are your thoughts Christine?
I think it would be appropriate either way; just so it is included. I also believe it was a "hook" by the author so the reader would "read on!" If you guys agree then it would be most true to record it in section 38 which is you Sonia.
Hope this helps,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Nichole, This book seems very tricky to BC. Just noting a couple of things:
1. I am holding off on PL for Section 38 til you make the final decision about inclusion of text in Section 38 or 39.
2. Will you make a note in the MW that whoever reads Section 62 not read the last sentence?
Thanks so much,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Brian, Section 65 is PL ok.