Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll fix it . Anne
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

I'm new to covermaking. :help: I'm looking at the CD cover page. Any tips are welcome.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 17th, 2024, 1:02 pm I'm new to covermaking. :help: I'm looking at the CD cover page. Any tips are welcome.
What program are you using?

There's at least one YouTube video with info on making covers. Here's one using Gimp, from one of the Monday Zoom meetings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9kVdM2H3U
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
victoriaalicebell

TriciaG wrote: May 17th, 2024, 4:29 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 17th, 2024, 1:02 pm I'm new to covermaking. :help: I'm looking at the CD cover page. Any tips are welcome.
What program are you using?

There's at least one YouTube video with info on making covers. Here's one using Gimp, from one of the Monday Zoom meetings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9kVdM2H3U
I have Corel Draw. Is that a good program to use? Thank you!
msfry

Post by msfry »

My advice would be to create a folder for each cover, and save all your files into it as you go along, including a text document that lists the project # or catalog link, link to the artwork you're gathering, the web address for verification of PD status, and the upload link. It is a time consuming pain to have to poke around finding scattered files or remembering where you got the components.

It's also good to have some familiarity with the story you are attempting to represent. I either listen to the story first, or at least read what summaries I can find, look through the book for illustrations, or even ask the BC if they have suggestions.

I use Photoshop 6, an old program I purchased years ago that I am still discovering new ways to use. No experience with any other program.

It's a real fun hobby. Welcome aboard.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It doesn't matter what program you use - depends what you have either something you paid for or what comes free. But you do need to read the first post in the covermakers thread carefully - we are restricted legally to what we can use as an image and restricted by cataloguing software as to size and format, and we can only display one persons image so you also need to understand the claiming procedure.

Anne
victoriaalicebell

annise wrote: May 17th, 2024, 9:46 pm It doesn't matter what program you use - depends what you have either something you paid for or what comes free. But you do need to read the first post in the covermakers thread carefully - we are restricted legally to what we can use as an image and restricted by cataloguing software as to size and format, and we can only display one persons image so you also need to understand the claiming procedure.

Anne
Yes, I looked at it. I also checked out the websites that give free pd images. I couldn't find what I'm looking for though.
victoriaalicebell

msfry wrote: May 17th, 2024, 6:05 pm My advice would be to create a folder for each cover, and save all your files into it as you go along, including a text document that lists the project # or catalog link, link to the artwork you're gathering, the web address for verification of PD status, and the upload link. It is a time consuming pain to have to poke around finding scattered files or remembering where you got the components.

It's also good to have some familiarity with the story you are attempting to represent. I either listen to the story first, or at least read what summaries I can find, look through the book for illustrations, or even ask the BC if they have suggestions.

I use Photoshop 6, an old program I purchased years ago that I am still discovering new ways to use. No experience with any other program.

I've listened to Anne of Green Gables a TON of times. I love it. :lol:

I'll have to see if I can get Photoshop. I wonder if there is a free version available. Will have to check.
Thanks,
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:39 pm I'll have to see if I can get Photoshop. I wonder if there is a free version available. Will have to check.
Adobe Photoshop isn't available for free, but there are similar programs you can get for free. In the video Tricia linked, they demonstrate making covers using this one:
https://www.gimp.org/
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: May 19th, 2024, 4:11 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:39 pm I'll have to see if I can get Photoshop. I wonder if there is a free version available. Will have to check.
Adobe Photoshop isn't available for free, but there are similar programs you can get for free. In the video Tricia linked, they demonstrate making covers using this one:
https://www.gimp.org/
Ok, thank you! I'll check it out.
victoriaalicebell

Am I allowed to color the pd pictures that are black and white? Would that mess with copyright laws?
Thanks,
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PD means PD - you can do what you want with them, just like anyone can do anything with our PD audios. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
victoriaalicebell

TriciaG wrote: Yesterday, 1:28 pm PD means PD - you can do what you want with them, just like anyone can do anything with our PD audios. 8-)
Okay, great! Thank you! :mrgreen:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:39 pm
msfry wrote: May 17th, 2024, 6:05 pm My advice would be to create a folder for each cover, and save all your files into it as you go along, including a text document that lists the project # or catalog link, link to the artwork you're gathering, the web address for verification of PD status, and the upload link. It is a time consuming pain to have to poke around finding scattered files or remembering where you got the components.

I've listened to Anne of Green Gables a TON of times. I love it. :lol:

I'll have to see if I can get Photoshop. I wonder if there is a free version available. Will have to check.
Thanks,
I have been using Paintshop pro for many years. It is much cheaper than Photoshop and is more powerful than Gimp, paint dot net, and the other free ones. I do still use the free ones once in a while because of special features each has that no other software has.
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I just finished recording Dr. Dolittle in the Moon. It still needs final PL and cataloguing. I already have a cover designed and will submit it whenever appropriate.